Miami Postgame

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This game just really hurt to lose. On the bright side, the defense really does look improved from last year. I think we’re talented on offense, but inexperience at both QB and BB are a real killer, especially in tough conditions like on Saturday. I hope our injured players are back this week because we’re not deep enough to win with one arm tied behind our back.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This game just really hurt to lose. On the bright side, the defense really does look improved from last year. I think we’re talented on offense, but inexperience at both QB and BB are a real killer, especially in tough conditions like on Saturday. I hope our injured players are back this week because we’re not deep enough to win with one arm tied behind our back.

It does look like the D has greatly improved...until the game is truly on the line. Both times they had the chance to end it and win they surrendered a score. The loss wasn't all their fault in either case, but it's tough to give them too much credit. They need to get better at that.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It does look like the D has greatly improved...until the game is truly on the line. Both times they had the chance to end it and win they surrendered a score. The loss wasn't all their fault in either case, but it's tough to give them too much credit. They need to get better at that.
Personally, I think the entire team needs to learn to step up and make the big play in crunch time. That applies to offense and special teams also; not just the D.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

AJC article on this today...noting paul not terribly happy with D playcalling...probably in these scenarios. We are way too loose...kinda revert back to the junk D of prior years and can't get pressure while giving up large windows. Now, in this scenario obviously you don't want to play man free. But...there is probably a better middle ground we can call on certain downs. For instance, first and ten from their own 25....if there is 2 mins left GENERALLY offenses are not taking deep shots, they are just trying to get a chunk....an under pass...so we can play a more normal D there etc....vs 3 man rush like we see alot...

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
The game was won/lost on two startlingly similar plays. Our WR dropped a catchable ball, theirs caught an uncatchable ball. If either of those two plays had gone a different way, it was a win.

Not blaming Brad, although the ball was catchable, it wouldn't have been an easy one to bring in. Congrats to their WR for staying focused on the tipped ball.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
A lot of people are forgetting about the tipped pass at the goal line. That ball could have easily been an interception and saved 3 points, but it found the Miami olineman's hands. We just had some unlucky bounces. It's time to put this one behind us and focus on crushing Wake.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
AJC article on this today...noting paul not terribly happy with D playcalling...probably in these scenarios. We are way too loose...kinda revert back to the junk D of prior years and can't get pressure while giving up large windows. Now, in this scenario obviously you don't want to play man free. But...there is probably a better middle ground we can call on certain downs. For instance, first and ten from their own 25....if there is 2 mins left GENERALLY offenses are not taking deep shots, they are just trying to get a chunk....an under pass...so we can play a more normal D there etc....vs 3 man rush like we see alot...
Unless it's 3rd and 10+ yards, I don't EVER want to see a 3 man rush. Even if you drop 8 guys, the QB will typically have all day to find an open receiver.

2nd half, 3 big plays, great play calls, the plays were wide open for 1st downs and potentially big gainers....players slipped and fell leading to busted plays......that ain't playing "not to lose". That's just not executing. But the result is busted plays adding up to a loss so.....coach sucks. Same BS Roof gets. Fans don't know crap but don't like the result so they of course know better.
I never said the coach sucks. I wouldn't have anyone other than CPJ for our coach, but he's not perfect, and some games he just calls better than others. Even he said on his show last night that there were some plays he could have called better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I never said the coach sucks. I wouldn't have anyone other than CPJ for our coach, but he's not perfect, and some games he just calls better than others. Even he said on his show last night that there were some plays he could have called better.
And let us remember he has about 10 seconds to pull a play out of his arse each play call. It's not like he gets to sit at a keyboard for 10 minutes in hind sight and come up with the perfect call. That said, it's remarkable how often his calls are right on the money.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched.

Like TN so many chances to win the game on both offense and defense.

I didn't feel any one unit let the team down more than any other unit. The offense kept giving the ball right back to a ranked opponent on the road in the fourth quarter while trying to protect a lead. Not good. The defense made several stops but then allowed the winning FG drive by giving away low percentage plays.

I thought Johnson and Roof both got a little conservative with respect to playcalling on the final drives. Both units also had bad luck on big plays (offense multiple crunch-time slips, dropped pass) defense (miracle 4th down catch).

I thought the defense played well enough for us to win. I thought the offense had a tougher unit to go against in Miami's defense. I do think if Miami doesn't gift us the 7 points on the special teams gaffe more folks are talking about the offense not producing enough (17 points). That said we lost our starting BB and played in some conditions that were tough for what we do.

I do think we played hard and both units showed character and effort. I think we can be proud of our players for almost stealing one on the road vs a ranked team. I remain positive about our program and its direction while recognizing we can get much better. I believe we will.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just rewatched.

Like TN so many chances to win the game on both offense and defense.

I didn't feel any one unit let the team down more than any other unit. The offense kept giving the ball right back to a ranked opponent on the road in the fourth quarter while trying to protect a lead. Not good. The defense made several stops but then allowed the winning FG drive by giving away low percentage plays.

I thought Johnson and Roof both got a little conservative with respect to playcalling on the final drives. Both units also had bad luck on big plays (offense multiple crunch-time slips, dropped pass) defense (miracle 4th down catch).

I thought the defense played well enough for us to win. I thought the offense had a tougher unit to go against in Miami's defense. I do think if Miami doesn't gift us the 7 points on the special teams gaffe more folks are talking about the offense not producing enough (17 points). That said we lost our starting BB and played in some conditions that were tough for what we do.

I do think we played hard and both units showed character and effort. I think we can be proud of our players for almost stealing one on the road vs a ranked team. I remain positive about our program and its direction while recognizing we can get much better. I believe we will.

What specifically was the difference in play-calling?

I haven't gone back and watched it but I really thought we were running the same plays. They were just more successful in the first half.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Our defense was playing pretty well when they played up on the receivers. Our only issue is we did get beat 2 or 3 times because of it. I just don't see how playing 8-9 yards off the receiver when you know a bubble screen is coming provides any less chance of a big play. You actually have to give credit to our DB's, they have to run full speed at a WR who catches an easy pass and if we miss that ONE potential tackle, the WR has a TD. Makes zero sense. Playing somewhat more up on the WR in my mind actually provides less of a chance for a big play and it prevents the automatic 8 yards.