Miami Postgame

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
How many DCs will it take before people realize that it isn't the DC?

It's the Jimmies and Joes more than the DCs. To put it charitably, we lack talent and depth on defense. Today, the defense did about as well as could be expected with the exception of the last drive. Compared to other defenses we have had in the Coach Johnson era this one is actually one of the better ones in some ways.

It's the Jimmies and Joes more than the DCs. To put it charitably, we lack talent and depth on defense. Today, the defense did about as well as could be expected with the exception of the last drive. Compared to other defenses we have had in the Coach Johnson era this one is actually one of the better ones in some ways.
The problem is we have had and suffered through way too many of those "last drives."

MountPGT1990

Banned
Finally!! someone other than me gets it! The Johnson lovers/ TO lovers always puts the losses on the D. They just can't bring them selves to believe that PJ is the problem. He is a loser, always will be when it comes to close games, and players do not want to play for him, or his TO!

There’s some truth to that, look at how many OL and WR have bailed on us and quit with eligiblilty remaining or just transferred. It’s a pretty lengthy list and a reason we lack depth especially on the OL

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The problem is we have had and suffered through way too many of those "last drives."

May be a lack of depth. Might possibly be coaching, lack of adjustments, I really don't know. I do know that we will be way better in the third down defense rankings than we were last year so there is that.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Finally!! someone other than me gets it! The Johnson lovers/ TO lovers always puts the losses on the D. They just can't bring them selves to believe that PJ is the problem. He is a loser, always will be when it comes to close games, and players do not want to play for him, or his TO!

There is plenty of blame to go around, but jiminy Christmas, wow at this

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
All I can say is to look at what Venables had done at Clemson after a string of ineffective DC's

He is very good I will grant you that but he also stepped into a good situation. Clemson has the horses up front on defense which makes things pretty simple most of the time. Personally, I always thought the guy he replaced.... was it Kevin Steele was a pretty good coordinator also. Having all conference and all Americans to play for you has made genius' of a lot of defensive coordinators.

He is very good I will grant you that but he also stepped into a good situation. Clemson has the horses up front on defense which makes things pretty simple most of the time. Personally, I always thought the guy he replaced.... was it Kevin Steele was a pretty good coordinator also. Having all conference and all Americans to play for you has made genius' of a lot of defensive coordinators.
And good defensive coordinators have also made some of those all conference and All American players.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
As PJ always says “If you think you can find someone better, fire me.”

Grass is always greener on the other side.

When PJ had the most resources at GSU, he got the most results.

When he had good resources, but bad talent, he turned a program around.

When he has mediocre talent and mediocre resources, he generally punches above his weight.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Somewhere there is belief by the team late in the game that "we won't win these bigger games". Until the GT football can close these kind of games, we will be a good but not great team. Can't lay blame on any one person for this game bc we had many opportunities to win. I would like to know why we didn't step up on the bubble screens at the end.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that thinks CPJ can't coach, or win, let me give you a little info. CPJ is one of if not the best at coaching kids up. What other program in the nation recruits outside of the top 50 yet goes to multiple conference championships? Wins the orange bowl with ease? I don't see how this loss can be on CPJ at all. Now, I have seen questionable stuff from him, but I don't see it for this game.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Can people quit praising Richt? The guy called an onside kick to start the 2nd half which gave us a TD. He then ran the ball on 3rd and 10 with the game on the line and nearly cost his team the game. He didn't exactly coach a masterful game.

He's a good coach but he had his shot at a national championship with the best UGA team I have seen in my life time and blew it. They can't all be Saban or Meyer.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There is plenty of blame to go around, but jiminy Christmas, wow at this
Seriously, players don't like playing for CPJ? I've never gotten that feel. Actually I think I saw a parent or someone close to the program talk about how much the players like CPJ. I could be wrong though.

Anyone that thinks CPJ can't coach, or win, let me give you a little info. CPJ is one of if not the best at coaching kids up. What other program in the nation recruits outside of the top 50 yet goes to multiple conference championships? Wins the orange bowl with ease? I don't see how this loss can be on CPJ at all. Now, I have seen questionable stuff from him, but I don't see it for this game.
Totally agree overall, although I think not giving Howard a shot and a few of the plays he called in the second half were questionable.

Seriously, players don't like playing for CPJ? I've never gotten that feel. Actually I think I saw a parent or someone close to the program talk about how much the players like CPJ. I could be wrong though.
You are not wrong at all, and the fact that so many of his former players, as well as some who didn't play for him, come to games and sing his praises also contradicts that post.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The team that deserved to win the game the most won today. It is very frustrating because, despite this, we were in great position to win and couldn't get it done. This one reminds me of PITT last year with the crazy bounce. Miami played better than us in the rain. It is as simple as that. When you can't trust the mesh or handle the ball for the full menu of option plays, it makes it quite difficult for us. They had more yards, more first downs etc. If we had won, we would have been very fortunate given the flow of the game.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this, but I was screaming at the TV with about 1:30 to go (I believe this is when it happened), when the Miami clock keeper stopped the clock for the entire between play sequence after a completion on first down for about 7 yards that was tackled in bounds about 20 feet from the sideline. It saved them about 20 seconds in my estimation. The game was decided on a FG with 4 seconds left, so it is significant. I am yelling "why is the clock stopped" over and over and neither of the announcers mentioned it. As far as I know, no coach was going crazy either. Am I dreaming? I haven't even looked at the replay to confirm, but I am pretty darned sure this happened. Did I miss something? It was around midfield.
I think that may have been one of the (many) plays when one of our guys helmet came off. There was one play in the sequence when that happened and the rd stopped the clock to tell him to go to the sideline.