Miami Postgame

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Was in St. George Island on a fishing trip this weekend. Watched up till about 5 minutes into the second half. Mark Richt decided to onside kick and Simmons had a free run into the endzone. Then it was time for some evening fishing.

Sounds like catching red bulls and sea trout was a lot more fun than how the second half went. :mad:

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Read through the entire thread there are plenty of posters who are tired of Johnson and the TO.

You people want to get rid of Coach Johnson and the triple option? Fine, get rid of the recruiting restrictions, change the name from Georgia Institute of Technology to Georgia Institute for Technology and State University or some such with lots of UNC type majors and total factory type focus on football 24 -7. Is that what you want? Because for us to compete for the same recruits as everyone else that is about what it would take.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
Was in St. George Island on a fishing trip this weekend. Watched up till about 5 minutes into the second half. Mark Richt decided to onside kick and Simmons had a free run into the endzone. Then it was time for some evening fishing.

Sounds like catching red bulls and sea trout was a lot more fun than how the second half went. :mad:

So, what you're saying is it was your fault by going fishing. All this time I thought I was to blame by letting my dog off my seat after the Simmons return.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Can we talk about the Freshman, Bruce Jordan-Swilling and Antwan Owens. Both stepped up and made some solo tackles. Bruce did have a couple of bad plays were he took some bad angles, but overall very impressed with our Freshman this year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Simple comments:
  1. This wasn't at all like the UT game for me. In that game we outplayed the pother team badly, and beat ourselves. In this game, we were outplayed pretty badly (especially in the 2nd half) and we almost won.
  2. We did not deserve to win based on how we played
  3. Miami simply has better athletes than we do
  4. I guess you can't recruit every year in the 40's and beat Top Ten teams. Miami has the athletes to at least compete at that level
  5. I haven't done any analysis, but the vast majority of picks before the game on this board by GT fans thinking we'd win because of our offense, few on this board thought we'd hold Miami to 25 points and those who did thought we'd win. I feel the offense lost this game...and the defense was average...in other words, not good enough to win it in spite of the offense.
  6. we all knew we did not really know how good or bad we are. Now we know. Our O line isn't anywhere near as good as we had hoped (certainly NOT 2014 good) and our defense indeed looks average. That makes at least two more games very tough sledding (Clemson and UGa) because both those teams also clearly have better athletes than we do. Results like the 2nd half yesterday are not guaranteed certainly, but would not surprise me.
  7. the ESPN/Herbstreit curse continues for us. When he thinks we're good, we lose.
It is what it is. With our academic restrictions, we just can't compete at this level except once in a blue moon (when we get an NFL caliber O lineman, apparently).

There are some on this board whose overall pessimism is getting to me. I will continue to root with all my hear for GT. I think we got a realistic assessment of our true capability yesterday and it was slightly upsetting because I had gotten my hopes up, but I honestly did no know what to expect from this team. I think we now have an idea. We can still have a pleasant year with another few wins (WF, UVa, Duke) and we might pull off the game vs VPI&SU or even upset someone better than us. But know I know where we stand.

if GT fans are frustrated by these results, even on D, they should complain to the administration or the AD, NOT to the coaches, imho.

I agree with all of this especially about the O line. I was disappointed with them because we badly needed to control the clock in the fourth quarter and could not do it. I must respectfully take exception to the reasoning Miami is a top 10 team. They are not. Beating GT and FSU is just not that big a deal right now and they were very fortunate to win both of those games. If they play someone really good they will get their clocks cleaned.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We haven't had to pass all season. Our passing game would have been enough this game as well but Qua fell and Brad dropped a pass. You might want us to pass more but it hasn't been our issue.

I have a question. Was the pass to Brad actually dropped or did the defender get his hands on it? Seems like the defender was pretty close but Brad had beaten him to the inside on what looked to be a slant of some sort.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have a question. Was the pass to Brad actually dropped or did the defender get his hands on it? Seems like the defender was pretty close but Brad had beaten him to the inside on what looked to be a slant of some sort.
Yea, I've just seen people say drop. The defender did make a pretty good play, I think he knocked it out.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
you are a fairly recent fan. If you hang around long enough, these type of losses become commonplace and somewhat expected. We have had 2 already this year and still have a lot of season left.

It happens to all teams, i watched Miami beat FSU in the last second of the game last week

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
giphy.gif

Are you allowed to horse callor tackle a pass rusher?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Can we talk about the Freshman, Bruce Jordan-Swilling and Antwan Owens. Both stepped up and made some solo tackles. Bruce did have a couple of bad plays were he took some bad angles, but overall very impressed with our Freshman this year.
Especially Owens. That guy can play and I would like to see him in the rotation more.