Miami Postgame

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with Stech's point about the rain. We were totally punchless the whole time it was raining, while for Miami it was business as usual. This game had multiple awful factors.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I don't get all the arguments about not going for the field goal in the first half. If we had made the FG, we would have ended with 27 points. Miami was on our 4 yard line at the end of the game. I would give the a better than even chance of scoring a TD at that point, the way things were going. They would win 29-27.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
A lot of emotion and coulda-woulda's and I didn't read all of this thread so this might have been said ... if Harrison Butker had one more year of eligibility we'd be 5-0.
Personally, I didn't think anything could be more painful than the UT loss in OT, until the tipped-ball catch ...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Remember it's the job of the coaches to put his players in position to make plays, not make them for them. LS and AJG were in perfect position to make a play on 4th down, they just didn't make it.

We have to keep in mind that football is a team game. The object is to score more points than your opponent. That job is done by both scoring and limiting your opponent's score. If we do either job just a hair better we win.

Losing sucks. Losing by a hair sucks worse. Losing by a hair twice, really sucks.
Can u please justify not even moving around pre snap. Here's another pic. ROOF to MR its ok to have a Flats pass to either side- no risk, go out of bounds, stop clock, get dry ball = get 6 plus yrs in 6 seconds . I am counting on your guys to screw up under no pressure.

Ok I will agree with u this is a plan BUT
Could we at least move around and Act like we can make plays? If we have to stand in one place could we do the hop up and down "This Buds For You"?

20171015_101738.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Remember it's the job of the coaches to put his players in position to make plays, not make them for them. LS and AJG were in perfect position to make a play on 4th down, they just didn't make it.

We have to keep in mind that football is a team game. The object is to score more points than your opponent. That job is done by both scoring and limiting your opponent's score. If we do either job just a hair better we win.

Losing sucks. Losing by a hair sucks worse. Losing by a hair twice, really sucks.

I think he's saying that this was our alignment while they were dumping off those bubble screens. We had begun playing tighter by the time of that 4th and 10 if I recall correctly. To your point, when they're dumping off those bubble screens, having our DBs this far back is NOT putting our players in position to make the play. That's the point.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

AND he made a play on the pass, it's a freaking miracle that ball was caught

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To your point, when they're dumping off those bubble screens, having our DBs this far back is NOT putting our players in position to make the play. That's the point.
It is if the play you're trying to make is not give up the big play because our db's can't run with their receivers and we only have one deep safety. Obviously, it didn't work so it's a bad plan.

Btw, do you remember the big pass play they had when we did try to cover man to man? The dude was in another zip code from our db.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I had to stay away for a couple of days due to disgust. Please understand, I am not naming names because I am not trying to scapegoat or blame players. And yes, I know there are any number of plays throughout a game that could change it. But I thought two plays illustrated why you can not just recruit 'eager guys who are team players', and you need to land some 4 star talent, even if you have to kiss their arse or bend the truth a little to get them to sign: on one play, a DB made a play and a receiver had great effort but could not overcome it; on the other play two dbs were there, but a receiver overcame them and made a play. It's not luck, IMO. On both plays, all players involved appeared to be in the right position. I think folks will know the plays at a crucial time I'm talking about. 4 star caliber athletes make those plays, even if they've loafed and had a rotten attitude the rest of the game ("We talkin' bout practice?" says Allen Iverson). There's got to be a way to upgrade talent without ruining the locker room because, apparently, we can't overcome the Miamis of the world until that happens.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I had to stay away for a couple of days due to disgust. Please understand, I am not naming names because I am not trying to scapegoat or blame players. And yes, I know there are any number of plays throughout a game that could change it. But I thought two plays illustrated why you can not just recruit 'eager guys who are team players', and you need to land some 4 star talent, even if you have to kiss their arse or bend the truth a little to get them to sign: on one play, a DB made a play and a receiver had great effort but could not overcome it; on the other play two dbs were there, but a receiver overcame them and made a play. It's not luck, IMO. I think folks will know the plays at a crucial time I'm talking about. 4 star caliber athletes make those plays, even if they've loafed and had a rotten attitude the rest of the game ("We talkin' bout practice?" says Allen Iverson). There's got to be a way to upgrade talent without ruining the locker room because, apparently, we can't overcome the Miamis of the world until that happens.
There are so many factors besides the talent factor that had a big impact in this game. Losing Kirvante and Brant were hugely (bigly?) impactful. The rain was as well. I think we win this on a dry field, I really do.

Was Step hurt on the final play as well? I'm surprised we didn't line him up on that go-to receiver of theirs?

Deleted member 2897

I had to stay away for a couple of days due to disgust. Please understand, I am not naming names because I am not trying to scapegoat or blame players. And yes, I know there are any number of plays throughout a game that could change it. But I thought two plays illustrated why you can not just recruit 'eager guys who are team players', and you need to land some 4 star talent, even if you have to kiss their arse or bend the truth a little to get them to sign: on one play, a DB made a play and a receiver had great effort but could not overcome it; on the other play two dbs were there, but a receiver overcame them and made a play. It's not luck, IMO. On both plays, all players involved appeared to be in the right position. I think folks will know the plays at a crucial time I'm talking about. 4 star caliber athletes make those plays, even if they've loafed and had a rotten attitude the rest of the game ("We talkin' bout practice?" says Allen Iverson). There's got to be a way to upgrade talent without ruining the locker room because, apparently, we can't overcome the Miamis of the world until that happens.

Not to blow up your sermon, but Darrell Langham (Miami WR) was a mid 3* recruit.

Don't get me wrong by what I am about to say; I am a BIG Johnson supporter. But IMO his play calling in the second half Saturday was terrible. I think he believed that the rain would affect our play so much that he didn't want to take any chances. Up to a point, I can agree with that, but you still need to move the chains. I actually think I would rather us have been behind earlier, because then he would have played to win and not played not to lose.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong by what I am about to say; I am a BIG Johnson supporter. But IMO his play calling in the second half Saturday was terrible. I think he believed that the rain would affect our play so much that he didn't want to take any chances. Up to a point, I can agree with that, but you still need to move the chains. I actually think I would rather us have been behind earlier, because then he would have played to win and not played not to lose.
How was it different, exactly? TM said post game it didn't change nor did Miami's scheme.

How was it different, exactly? TM said post game it didn't change nor did Miami's scheme.
You saw the game and you didn't see a difference? Running Quaide 5 times up the middle for a total gain of 15 yards is one glaring difference. Where was Howard? Playing it safe because of questionable ball security, I assume. Other things I might point out would probably be met with "that was because of the rain." But, as I said in my original post, if we had been behind, the rain wouldn't have mattered.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone explained why Howard did not see the field at all? Was it just PJ's fear of a freshman playing in a tough road environment? It just seems ludicrous that he would not get a series or 2.

It is hard for me to post, because I am so frustrated. I also believe PJ should have kicked the approximate 40-43 yard FG in the first half instead of "going for it". But that is just me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You saw the game and you didn't see a difference? Running Quaide 5 times up the middle for a total gain of 15 yards is one glaring difference. Where was Howard? Playing it safe because of questionable ball security, I assume. Other things I might point out would probably be met with "that was because of the rain." But, as I said in my original post, if we had been behind, the rain wouldn't have mattered.
I didn't see the game, but I did see this:

As far as the runs with Quaide go, they may have been TM reading the the DE and giving based on the read, I dunno. Maybe we weren't getting to the Mike at all by then and coach thought it was futile to go to the edge or maybe he just played it safe. From what I hear, the D was playing well, for the most part, Miami had the whole field to go with very little time. Sometimes you gotta let your D save the day. The last time he gave up on his D and put the game in the O's hands to win it or lose it, it turned out badly.

I didn't see the game, but I did see this:

As far as the runs with Quaide go, they may have been TM reading the the DE and giving based on the read, I dunno. Maybe we weren't getting to the Mike at all by then and coach thought it was futile to go to the edge or maybe he just played it safe.

Your last line says it all: "he played it safe." In other words he played not to lose. And yet we lost.