Miami fans are bad

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don't worry about the Toledo game, trust me, there will be at least 50k in the stadium on Saturday. The game potentially has ACC championship game implications. That alone will bring the crowd out.

But let me address the attendance issue that other school's fans always refer to when they talk about Miami. The demographic of the Miami fan base compared to most college fan bases is apples to oranges. Because the school is a small and private, the number of alumni is a drop in the bucket compared to the average state school. The school is also located in Miami. An international city that provides more outdoor activity year round than most metropolitan cities. Because the fan base is small, and Miami is such a sport town, many of the Hurricane fans are pro sport fans. That means, when the school is good, they will show up and support but when it's not, forget about it! Also, most of these pro sports fans have moved here from somewhere else in the country (mostly the northeast). So even though they might support the Canes, they have another school elsewhere that they follow as well.

Most P5 schools are located in small towns or cities where there really aren't the number of competing things to do. So they are all in on their team. There is a real collegiate feel around their program. Miami has a pro feel surrounding it. I can remember many games when Miami was a dynasty that we would play against FSU and during a TV timeout, you would look and see FSU all huddled around Bobby Bowden, as he would fire them up for the 4th quarter. And then I would look over at the 35 yard line, where the ball is, and see the Canes players on one knee at the line of scrimmage waiting for the TV timeout to end. One school is having a rah, rah, moment, the other is just waiting to get back to work.

So when you point out that Miami doesn't have much of a fan base, just understand, Canes fans aren't looking to fit into that collegiate mold. Not saying it's better, just that it is different, and they're ok with it.

BTW, it is interesting that while the slam on Miami is that they can't get their fans to come out to the games, they hold the longest home-game winning streak in NCAA history. 58 straight! That means they never lost during two presidential terms. Impressive. It's not aSplways about how many fans you have, it's how well you play the game.

Smaller alumni fan base that doesn't stay local.
Big City
ProSports competition

We have no idea what that feels like ...:rolleyes:

Jmonty71

Banned
Lmao "unsportsmanlike comments"

Every defender on the field wants to knock out the opposing team's quarterback by lighting his *** up. That's good football as long as it's a crushing blow and not a dirty cheapshot
Not sure why some are offended by this.
I think it's because the NFL puts the QB position and places it on a pedestal. In a way, the NCAA does the same. You can smack most QBs.. When you go against a well known team or a QB that has the word "Heisman" tied to him, you can't barely touch him, without a yellow flag getting thrown. But, I agree.. My old DC, said the make the QB feel like he played a football game. That and no QB can complete a pass when his azz is on the ground.. Both, well spoken words.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Mark Richt is good at choking at big games and games that count the most. In fact, he was so good at it that uga sent him to Miami. Until he wins some big games to make statements I’m not convinced. Never understood why Canes were so happy to get him
When you look at Miami's great teams you will see that not all of the coaches that led them were great coaches. What made the difference is the type of athlete that Miami is able to recruit out of S. Florida. Richt is going after the same type of player today. He never had this rich of a recruiting field when he was at Georgia.

I think it's a mistake to take the Richt of Georgia, and assume that he cannot surpass that at Miami. Just look at the number of schools in the ACC alone, not to mention the SEC, that draw players out of S. Florida. It's staggering. Now Richt is sitting on the gold mine. That could be a game-changer for him as a coach. I'm hoping so!

Deleted member 2897

Don't worry about the Toledo game, trust me, there will be at least 50k in the stadium on Saturday. The game potentially has ACC championship game implications. That alone will bring the crowd out.

But let me address the attendance issue that other school's fans always refer to when they talk about Miami. The demographic of the Miami fan base compared to most college fan bases is apples to oranges. Because the school is a small and private, the number of alumni is a drop in the bucket compared to the average state school. The school is also located in Miami. An international city that provides more outdoor activity year round than most metropolitan cities. Because the fan base is small, and Miami is such a sport town, many of the Hurricane fans are pro sport fans. That means, when the school is good, they will show up and support but when it's not, forget about it! Also, most of these pro sports fans have moved here from somewhere else in the country (mostly the northeast). So even though they might support the Canes, they have another school elsewhere that they follow as well.

Most P5 schools are located in small towns or cities where there really aren't the number of competing things to do. So they are all in on their team. There is a real collegiate feel around their program. Miami has a pro feel surrounding it. I can remember many games when Miami was a dynasty that we would play against FSU and during a TV timeout, you would look and see FSU all huddled around Bobby Bowden, as he would fire them up for the 4th quarter. And then I would look over at the 35 yard line, where the ball is, and see the Canes players on one knee at the line of scrimmage waiting for the TV timeout to end. One school is having a rah, rah, moment, the other is just waiting to get back to work.

So when you point out that Miami doesn't have much of a fan base, just understand, Canes fans aren't looking to fit into that collegiate mold. Not saying it's better, just that it is different, and they're ok with it.

BTW, it is interesting that while the slam on Miami is that they can't get their fans to come out to the games, they hold the longest home-game winning streak in NCAA history. 58 straight! That means they never lost during two presidential terms. Impressive. It's not always about how many fans you have, it's how well you play the game.

That's an interesting description. That could have been a Georgia Tech fan's post - our academics, high out of state attendance (then many head back home when they graduate) and multiple close pro teams (and helacious traffic) does the same to us. But just in case you are wondering, there are about 175,000 Miami alumni and about 130,000 Georgia Tech alumni. By comparison, there are 320,000 Florida State alumni and 300,000 North Carolina alumni.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Wow! I think the Miami Hurricane players, coach and fans that you describe are long gone.

I think there's a zero chance that the program goes away. That would be sad for college football. The program has been moving in the right direction since Shannon became coach, which was over a decade ago.
I'm not sure that you understand Sports hate.

Randy Shannon is a fine human being. Mark rich is a fine human being.

It doesn't matter. Ray Lewis played at Miami, and he is at best an accomplice to murder. That means your entire fanbase condones murder. Michael Irving played at Miami. That means your entire fanbase is overrated, gets away with offensive pass interference all the time, and would be nothing more than a glorified Ed McCaffrey type possession receiver have they not played along the greatest offense of line ever put together.

Jimmy Johnson coached at Miami. That means your entire fanbase has awful Republican helmet hair.

Dennis from my middle School rooted for Miami. That means your entire fanbase is a little bit chubby and has a rip in the pocket of their starter jacket but keeps wearing it anyway.

I hope this helps.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Smaller alumni fan base that doesn't stay local.
Big City
ProSports competition

We have no idea what that feels like ...:rolleyes:
Wasn't saying you don't know what a metropolitan city with pro sports feels like. But the demographic of Miami is different from Atlanta. Miami has a northeast feel for sure. Fans are fickle. You also don't have the amount of outdoor water activity that Miami has year round. It's just different. Didn't say you can't relate at all.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
That's an interesting description. That could have been a Georgia Tech fan's post - our academics, high out of state attendance (then many head back home when they graduate) and multiple close pro teams (and helacious traffic) does the same to us. But just in case you are wondering, there are about 175,000 Miami alumni and about 130,000 Georgia Tech alumni. By comparison, there are 320,000 Florida State alumni and 300,000 North Carolina alumni.
Interesting on the alumni numbers. I didn't know the numbers for GT. Thought it was less than the big state school but didn't expect it to be that small. How many does your stadium hold?

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not sure that you understand Sports hate.

Randy Shannon is a fine human being. Mark rich is a fine human being.

It doesn't matter. Ray Lewis played at Miami, and he is at best an accomplice to murder. That means your entire fanbase condones murder. Michael Irving played at Miami. That means your entire fanbase is overrated, gets away with offensive pass interference all the time, and would be nothing more than a glorified Ed McCaffrey type possession receiver have they not played along the greatest offense of line ever put together.

Jimmy Johnson coached at Miami. That means your entire fanbase has awful Republican helmet hair.

Dennis from my middle School rooted for Miami. That means your entire fanbase is a little bit chubby and has a rip in the pocket of their starter jacket but keeps wearing it anyway.

I hope this helps.
I fully understand that we make 'absolute' statements that hold little truth when we're full-blown 'homer' for our team. LOL Been there, done that!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. And so your point is?
Our convo re: attendance got out of sequence. See my point here. I mentioned it because you stated attendance is a difference the last 2 years, and I am suggesting there is no material physical evidence.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/your-best-guess-what-say-you-about-miami-game.13186/page-8#post-352006

BTW, it is interesting that while the slam on Miami is that they can't get their fans to come out to the games, they hold the longest home-game winning streak in NCAA history. 58 straight! That means they never lost during two presidential terms. Impressive. It's not always about how many fans you have, it's how well you play the game.
See above. My post is somewhat out of context in this thread. Believe me, I'm not being salty or picking a fight about Miami's attendance. Our attendance issues are similar, outside of private vs public, as @AE 87 already pointed out. Neither side has much to boast about.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
The program has been moving in the right direction since Shannon became coach, which was over a decade ago.

A decade is a long time to proverbially cross the street from a progress point of view. Miami has mostly had our number for that decade though, and I hate them for it. Miami has found a way to blow it every year, and I'd be lying to say I don't enjoy that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A decade is a long time to proverbially cross the street from a progress point of view. Miami has mostly had our number for that decade though, and I hate them for it. Miami has found a way to blow it every year, and I'd be lying to say I don't enjoy that.

Just for my information, why is it that you choose to say that Miami has had our number but found a way to blow it as opposed to saying that Miami has not been that good, but we've found a way to blow it against them?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Just for my information, why is it that you choose to say that Miami has had our number but found a way to blow it as opposed to saying that Miami has not been that good, but we've found a way to blow it against them?

LOL. Seriously?

Miami has been in how many ACC Championship games in the last ten years? And won how many of them?

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
When you look at Miami's great teams you will see that not all of the coaches that led them were great coaches. What made the difference is the type of athlete that Miami is able to recruit out of S. Florida. Richt is going after the same type of player today. He never had this rich of a recruiting field when he was at Georgia.

I think it's a mistake to take the Richt of Georgia, and assume that he cannot surpass that at Miami. Just look at the number of schools in the ACC alone, not to mention the SEC, that draw players out of S. Florida. It's staggering. Now Richt is sitting on the gold mine. That could be a game-changer for him as a coach. I'm hoping so!
Funny. He had top ten recruiting classes most of if not the whole time he was at Georgia. He was already on a gold mine, wasnt able to do much with it.