Miami fans are bad

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
Yep, so let's do the math here.

Stadium capacity - 65k
Based on photos, actual butts in seats for Toledo was no more than 50%. That's probably generous, as the two photos suggest 30-40% capacity, but I'll concede 50% and 32,500 were actually there.
Announced attendance - 49,361

@Stony157, sorry man, but I don't think there's any way Miami had 45k/game in the stadium last year, let alone the 58k/game announced. I'd guess it was more like 30k in seats, and perhaps that is generous. Pictures and TV cameras seem consistent.

Ok. And so your point is?

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
View attachment 2972 not all, but I’d say 85% of them. Not only do they believe they are BACK every year but some really are relying on their D to take Marshall out of the game. It’s really pathetic and disgusting.

The dude replied to a Cane fan that had sense and said Marshall was tough as a $2 steak. And this guy replied

I think your post is greatly exaggerated. Are their Miami fans that want to take your QB out of the game? I'm sure their are a few unstable fans that believe that. But your program has them too. Every program has them!

Do Miami fans think the U is back? LOL... of course not! Again, there are ridiculous fans in every fan base that express the absurd. But true Cane fans that have followed the program for a long time no we're not even close to being back.

Here's why:
1. We still have weaknesses all over the starting team. Namely, OL and DB's and now RB.
2. We aren't even close to having the depth at every position that is required of a championship caliber program.
3. Richt is only in his first year of a full recruiting cycle. We still need at least two more recruiting cycles to bring the 'horses in the stable', in order to compete at the highest level.

Conclusion, most Cane fans are very much aware that we are still extremely vulnerable to lose games that we should win, and be grateful for wins that we likely could lose.

But we are also aware that the program is definitely on the upswing. This will prove to be good for the ACC as a whole and will prove to be trouble for teams in the Coastal. When Miami is back, Canes fans won't have to say it, everybody will know it. Whether we get back there are not, who can say? But there are high hopes that in a couple more seasons we could be there.

Deleted member 2897

I think your post is greatly exaggerated. Are their Miami fans that want to take your QB out of the game? I'm sure their are a few unstable fans that believe that. But your program has them too. Every program has them!

Do Miami fans think the U is back? LOL... of course not! Again, there are ridiculous fans in every fan base that express the absurd. But true Cane fans that have followed the program for a long time no we're not even close to being back.

Here's why:
1. We still have weaknesses all over the starting team. Namely, OL and DB's and now RB.
2. We aren't even close to having the depth at every position that is required of a championship caliber program.
3. Richt is only in his first year of a full recruiting cycle. We still need at least two more recruiting cycles to bring the 'horses in the stable', in order to compete at the highest level.

Conclusion, most Cane fans are very much aware that we are still extremely vulnerable to lose games that we should win, and be grateful for wins that we likely could lose.

But we are also aware that the program is definitely on the upswing. This will prove to be good for the ACC as a whole and will prove to be trouble for teams in the Coastal. When Miami is back, Canes fans won't have to say it, everybody will know it. Whether we get back there are not, who can say? But there are high hopes that in a couple more seasons we could be there.

A sane cane fan. Yay! :) What scares me most is your recruiting. Holy cow balls this 2018 class. If you guys do that a couple years in a row, I really don't see how you can stay under 10+ wins anymore.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Overall, it would be great for the ACC and hence GT in the long run for Miami to be great again. I hope we beat them and then they run the table.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Overall, it would be great for the ACC and hence GT in the long run for Miami to be great again. I hope we beat them and then they run the table.
Objectively, I recognize this. I say no.

Frankly, Miami is that program for me. The one you'd be just as happy to see be bad forever, to turn into BC and just go away. The combination of bandwagon fans from my childhood, low rent behavior from the players, and Jimmy Johnson's hair have turned them forever into the "white trash douchebag" football fanbase (this despite Miami being an objectively good school, and whose basketball fanbase I have grown to enjoy).

Blame all the kids who wore this haircut in my high school
5608067615_1b0744d337.jpg

but I'll forever wish failure upon them

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A sane cane fan. Yay! :) What scares me most is your recruiting. Holy cow balls this 2018 class. If you guys do that a couple years in a row, I really don't see how you can stay under 10+ wins anymore.
I would point out to our Miami visitor that Richt is the coach who had years straight of "Top 10!" recruiting classes at Ugag and never even whiffed a national championship with them. That's what got him fired. I suspect that after he recruits like a champ and doesn't do much with the players he brings in for a few years da U will fire him too.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Frankly, Miami is that program for me. The one you'd be just as happy to see be bad forever, to turn into BC and just go away. The combination of bandwagon fans from my childhood, low rent behavior from the players, and Jimmy Johnson's hair have turned them forever into the "white trash douchebag" football fanbase (this despite Miami being an objectively good school, and whose basketball fanbase I have grown to enjoy).

I wish Miami would return to what they were in the mid 1970s a 2-8 or 3-8 team most years.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I would point out to our Miami visitor that Richt is the coach who had years straight of "Top 10!" recruiting classes at Ugag and never even whiffed a national championship with them. That's what got him fired. I suspect that after he recruits like a champ and doesn't do much with the players he brings in for a few years da U will fire him too.
Saying so and so is a sane Cocanes fan is like saying there's a polite lifer in the Federal Pen;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, Richt had Uga at a pretty consistent 10 win level. It’s pretty easy when you can recruit anyone out there and you play in a weak, non-competitive division. Over the last few years, their toughest games are usually us, Florida, and Auburn. The SEC ain’t what it used to be (although it still has that reputation for some reason).

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Mark Richt is good at choking at big games and games that count the most. In fact, he was so good at it that uga sent him to Miami. Until he wins some big games to make statements I’m not convinced. Never understood why Canes were so happy to get him

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Mark Richt is good at choking at big games and games that count the most. In fact, he was so good at it that uga sent him to Miami. Until he wins some big games to make statements I’m not convinced. Never understood why Canes were so happy to get him
He graduated from Miami class of 1983 that's why a lot of them like him. He backed up Jim Kelly at Quarterback 1979-1982

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan

Wow! I think the Miami Hurricane players, coach and fans that you describe are long gone.

I think there's a zero chance that the program goes away. That would be sad for college football. The program has been moving in the right direction since Shannon became coach, which was over a decade ago.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Yep, so let's do the math here.

Stadium capacity - 65k
Based on photos, actual butts in seats for Toledo was no more than 50%. That's probably generous, as the two photos suggest 30-40% capacity, but I'll concede 50% and 32,500 were actually there.
Announced attendance - 49,361

@Stony157, sorry man, but I don't think there's any way Miami had 45k/game in the stadium last year, let alone the 58k/game announced. I'd guess it was more like 30k in seats, and perhaps that is generous. Pictures and TV cameras seem consistent.
Don't worry about the Toledo game, trust me, there will be at least 50k in the stadium on Saturday. The game potentially has ACC championship game implications. That alone will bring the crowd out.

But let me address the attendance issue that other school's fans always refer to when they talk about Miami. The demographic of the Miami fan base compared to most college fan bases is apples to oranges. Because the school is a small and private, the number of alumni is a drop in the bucket compared to the average state school. The school is also located in Miami. An international city that provides more outdoor activity year round than most metropolitan cities. Because the fan base is small, and Miami is such a sport town, many of the Hurricane fans are pro sport fans. That means, when the school is good, they will show up and support but when it's not, forget about it! Also, most of these pro sports fans have moved here from somewhere else in the country (mostly the northeast). So even though they might support the Canes, they have another school elsewhere that they follow as well.

Most P5 schools are located in small towns or cities where there really aren't the number of competing things to do. So they are all in on their team. There is a real collegiate feel around their program. Miami has a pro feel surrounding it. I can remember many games when Miami was a dynasty that we would play against FSU and during a TV timeout, you would look and see FSU all huddled around Bobby Bowden, as he would fire them up for the 4th quarter. And then I would look over at the 35 yard line, where the ball is, and see the Canes players on one knee at the line of scrimmage waiting for the TV timeout to end. One school is having a rah, rah, moment, the other is just waiting to get back to work.

So when you point out that Miami doesn't have much of a fan base, just understand, Canes fans aren't looking to fit into that collegiate mold. Not saying it's better, just that it is different, and they're ok with it.

BTW, it is interesting that while the slam on Miami is that they can't get their fans to come out to the games, they hold the longest home-game winning streak in NCAA history. 58 straight! That means they never lost during two presidential terms. Impressive. It's not always about how many fans you have, it's how well you play the game.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with your first statement. As for the second, I don't see Miami running the table. Too many good teams left to play and we have too many weaknesses and lack of depth at various positions. We will lose at least a couple but I'm hoping we will still have a chance to play in the ACC championship.