Merits of G-League vs. College Basketball

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lies. Your favorite part of all this was am Alison Brie (from Community) gif

Allison-Brie-GIF-.gif

This brings to me to one factor that is being overlooked here in an 18 yo's decision making process....are you more apt to hook up with this type of talent as a perceived "one and done" lottery or first round pick kid at Duke, Syracuse, Ky or as a $26k per year minor league BB player grinding in Waco, Des Moines or even overseas in Yemen or New Zealand???. Some decisions are hard to quantify just from a financial perspective.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's a lot for me to like about the top 10 in this mock draft

@kg01 @ChasonBaller

Don't be tagging me or the venerable CBreeze with this nonsense. So, after drafting 3 .. count 'em .. 3 wings in the last 2 drafts, Atlanta picks another ball-dominant guy?

Sheesh, you and I should come up with a site that just does mock drafts. It could be an extension to the coaching search firm peac and I are starting. PeacKg Associates.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't be tagging me or the venerable CBreeze with this nonsense. So, after drafting 3 .. count 'em .. 3 wings in the last 2 drafts, Atlanta picks another ball-dominant guy?

Sheesh, you and I should come up with a site that just does mock drafts. It could be an extension to the coaching search firm peac and I are starting. PeacKg Associates.

I tagged you for the fact RJ Hampton was listed as the 3rd pick.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You don't read anything I write. I told you that clown would end up a borderline 1st rounder. I don't care what the mocks say right now.
And the mock draft says it doesn't matter that he's headed to New Zealand...

Also, why are you calling a kid a clown for betting on himself and actually going for it instead of going to a college he doesn't want to be at? Seriously... you **** on a kid for no reason.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
You don't read anything I write. I told you that clown would end up a borderline 1st rounder. I don't care what the mocks say right now.

Not sure I agree with the terminology here man. The kid conducted himself pretty well. If you are commenting on the way the kid milked some programs...**** em

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That may be. I have to go opposite dtm on the issue though. It is what it is.

Don't fret. I dedicated a pint of vanilla bean Hagen to your memory.

And that's ok... because it shows progress. Despite being vanilla, it was a far superior choice to the Mayfield you used to eat.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Here is one example of rubber meeting road. Ex GT recruit and heartbreaker Sharriff Abdur-Rahim's son is graduating HS and is a top 30 player needing to make a decision to go to college or straight to the G League. FYI Sharriff is the President of the G-League. Instead of going with his dad, Jabri made the decision to go to college - unfortunately for us with UVA. Why SWH couldn't get GT at least a sniff is one issue but the major point here is someone who would intimately know the tradeoffs of college versus the G-League and is position to be a marginal NBA recruit at present chose to go the college route. Must be some value there.

Key quote - Despite his father's position with the G League, Abdur-Rahim said going that route was never an option for him.

"It was always college," he said. "It never was a discussion."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...005/top-30-guard-abdur-rahim-commits-virginia

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Here is one example of rubber meeting road. Ex GT recruit and heartbreaker Sharriff Abdur-Rahim's son is graduating HS and is a top 30 player needing to make a decision to go to college or straight to the G League. FYI Sharriff is the President of the G-League. Instead of going with his dad, Jabri made the decision to go to college - unfortunately for us with UVA. Why SWH couldn't get GT at least a sniff is one issue but the major point here is someone who would intimately know the tradeoffs of college versus the G-League and is position to be a marginal NBA recruit at present chose to go the college route. Must be some value there.

Key quote - Despite his father's position with the G League, Abdur-Rahim said going that route was never an option for him.

"It was always college," he said. "It never was a discussion."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...005/top-30-guard-abdur-rahim-commits-virginia
Not saying UVa is dirty, but given the $$$ amounts the shoe companies seem to be paying out, is it as simple as the idea that college pays more than the G League does?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Could be wrong but Bennett seems enough old school enough to not put up with shoe companies ruining a good thing for him. Nor do I think he needs the help for who he is recruiting. And I don't think shoe money - or at least very much shoe money - filters its way down to number 30.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Stole this from another site but it goes to whether there is "value" in having young players spend time in college rather than going straight to the NBA. In reality there are a lot of shades of gray as not many players go straight to playing heavy minutes in every NBA game (most don't) but it still does show there is a cost for both the price of stressing a body to get to NBA level and then going as fast as you can to the NBA.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27125793/these-kids-ticking-bombs-threat-youth-basketball

Put this is the bucket that Emmert and the NCAA are incapable of articulating a value proposition for college basketball so they resort to simply saying get any NBA level player out of our system which I think is a bad mistake for them. But that train has left the station.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Colin Cowherd just spent a segment with Gottlieb highlighting the article about the impact of the NBA on 18 year old bodies. Yes I know I need to duck having started with those 2. They also included K's comments that Zion wasn't ready to play in the summer league and should have been held out. Reference to "sources" (NBA GMs/scouts) who commented that even the man mountain Zion is going to be impacted by a young body that needs to be molded and trained to handle the NBA. They would play him 25 min per game and only 60 games. Force him to get a body guy/chef and spend a couple of years to be ready for the full monte. Underneath the schtick was an interesting link to the value of college for an NBA player.