Merits of G-League vs. College Basketball

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

tumblr_mclf5tivt21rjk8gyo1_400.gif

Oooooof. That's gonna hurt. Battle and Brissett could test well too.

In any case, good for Bazley. He is doing exactly what every HS player has the right to do. Make a choice to make money. At least he didn't go to college and act like "oh really, we don't get paid, NCAA is taking advantage of us!" Yea, it's a choice, and he made one. Hopefully more do the same.

CharlotteJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
tumblr_mclf5tivt21rjk8gyo1_400.gif

Oooooof. That's gonna hurt. Battle and Brissett could test well too.

In any case, good for Bazley. He is doing exactly what every HS player has the right to do. Make a choice to make money. At least he didn't go to college and act like "oh really, we don't get paid, NCAA is taking advantage of us!" Yea, it's a choice, and he made one. Hopefully more do the same.
Anyone know how much G-league players make? I was able to find that two-way G league players are guaranteed $75k and can make up to $250k, but can't find anything on non two-way players.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This might be the first shot in getting more of a model that will work long term. Stinks for Syracuse for next your though.
If a kid doesn't want to go to college, don't go to college.
The max he can get from the G League based on how he is headed there is $26K. But he is also now free to sign with any agent, any shoe company, for any amount he wants.
I'd be shocked if he hasn't already signed a deal with an agent and possibly a shoe company.

Will be interesting if more Top 10 to Top 25 types decide to go this route. Bazley says he wants to be a trialblazer.
https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

Some of his talking points sound like an agent wrote it for him.

Milwaukee

Banned
This might be the first shot in getting more of a model that will work long term. Stinks for Syracuse for next your though.
If a kid doesn't want to go to college, don't go to college.
The max he can get from the G League based on how he is headed there is $26K. But he is also now free to sign with any agent, any shoe company, for any amount he wants.
I'd be shocked if he hasn't already signed a deal with an agent and possibly a shoe company.

Will be interesting if more Top 10 to Top 25 types decide to go this route. Bazley says he wants to be a trialblazer.
https://sports.yahoo.com/projected-top-10-draft-pick-make-leap-high-school-g-league-193725979.html

Some of his talking points sound like an agent wrote it for him.

I hope more follow suit if they don't want to play college ball. Make college hoops great again.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Anyone know how much G-league players make? I was able to find that two-way G league players are guaranteed $75k and can make up to $250k, but can't find anything on non two-way players.

I'd do the same if I was him, honestly. Even if that's all you make.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I suspect he will make alot more than 26K. I wonder how much he ends up getting from an agent and a shoe company. I'd bet he is in 6 figures.

That's why I'd do it if I were him.

Only thing I'm not sure of is to what degree he's eligible to earn a 2way deal (in which case he'd make significantly more).

I can't imagine he is eligible though. Why would an NBA team devote time to developing him when it's not certain they'd have his rights?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I'd do the same if I was him, honestly. Even if that's all you make.

If that is all he makes I would disagree with you. He has to pay for food, board and some of his personal training. The type of food he should be eating is not Wendy's and isn't cheap. At $26K college is a hell of a lot better financial alternative for the free stuff you do get - even discounting tuition, school, etc.

At $100k I guess I can see some arguable financial benefit but I would also contend his shoe deal is better after a year exposure in college and it will be really interesting to see how he fares in the rougher and tumble world of the G league where every guy was a college all star type player and standing out in a less structured environment will be harder. G League has not been structured for this kind of experience so I am really interested to see how the trailblazer does.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Shoe deal, an agent giving him an advance, etc. Lot of financial reasons to do it beyond a nominal salary. I've also heard or read that the G League may be upping salaries in the near future; not sure about next season though.

The thing that sucks most from a Syracuse perspective is not so much the decision, but the timing. This move this late in the game effectively extends probation, barring a last minute surprise. With Moyer's departure Syracuse has 2 forwards on the roster for next year, and that assumes Brissett comes back.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the kid's situation or financials, so I assume he made a good decision for himself and his family. I agree with @CuseJacket that the timing of the decision stinks from a Cuse perspective. I was looking forward to seeing him on the wing of the zone, especially if Battle, & Brissett stay. Could've been a vintage top 15 Cuse team

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Shoe deal, an agent giving him an advance, etc. Lot of financial reasons to do it beyond a nominal salary. I've also heard or read that the G League may be upping salaries in the near future; not sure about next season though.

The thing that sucks most from a Syracuse perspective is not so much the decision, but the timing. This move this late in the game effectively extends probation, barring a last minute surprise. With Moyer's departure Syracuse has 2 forwards on the roster for next year, and that assumes Brissett comes back.

Yeah it sucks, man. I definitely feel your and Bayhime's pain.

[URL='http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/wfi.gif']

[/URL]

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If that is all he makes I would disagree with you. He has to pay for food, board and some of his personal training. The type of food he should be eating is not Wendy's and isn't cheap. At $26K college is a hell of a lot better financial alternative for the free stuff you do get - even discounting tuition, school, etc.

At $100k I guess I can see some arguable financial benefit but I would also contend his shoe deal is better after a year exposure in college and it will be really interesting to see how he fares in the rougher and tumble world of the G league where every guy was a college all star type player and standing out in a less structured environment will be harder. G League has not been structured for this kind of experience so I am really interested to see how the trailblazer does.

NBARadio was discussing the kid's decision. With regards to the money, they suggested that the "salary" is inconsequential. The agent will likely give him a "bridge loan" of several hundred thousand dollars plus use of a car and whatever other amenities make sense.

That plus whatever shoe money he gets dwarfs the school stuff.

Regarding the Gleague structure, I agree. There are many hints that the structure is changing. I don't think it's there yet so this guy is possibly making a decision that'll look better in a year or two.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am still not sure going to the G League is worth it for even a couple hundred thousand but let's put that aside.

What will be interesting to me is he is going into the G League not being tied to/part of any specific franchise so whichever team he plays for doesn't have any known long term interest in him. And to my knowledge he cannot be called up to the NBA during this year. The team will have their 2 way players on the roster who are more "valuable" to them than this guy. And no real incentive to go out of their way to put him in positions to develop and succeed. Add in guys whose goal is to get their own to get to the league versus the really defined roles on a college team and this is going to be an interesting experiment. Quite honestly I can see a couple of guys on $26 or $50 K contracts looking at the golden boy who has his agent taking care of everything and deciding not to cooperate with script for golden boy.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am still not sure going to the G League is worth it for even a couple hundred thousand but let's put that aside.

What will be interesting to me is he is going into the G League not being tied to/part of any specific franchise so whichever team he plays for doesn't have any known long term interest in him. And to my knowledge he cannot be called up to the NBA during this year. The team will have their 2 way players on the roster who are more "valuable" to them than this guy. And no real incentive to go out of their way to put him in positions to develop and succeed. Add in guys whose goal is to get their own to get to the league versus the really defined roles on a college team and this is going to be an interesting experiment. Quite honestly I can see a couple of guys on $26 or $50 K contracts looking at the golden boy who has his agent taking care of everything and deciding not to cooperate with script for golden boy.

That's exactly the issue I'm perceiving. With no affiliation, really the only reason to 'work with him' (and I'm referring both to the players and coaches) is that he helps them win. That matters but I wonder how much it matters.

Presumably, the GLeague is also a proving ground for coaches. Making the GL playoffs is an accomplishment, of sorts, for them. Players who refuse to play nice with the golden boy aren't exactly in a position to have their spots guaranteed anyway so perhaps they'll fall in line?

Kid should probably be cognizant that he'll have to pick up the tab more often than not to get in guys' good graces. I imagine in the bubble they're in, guys may also recognize the young man's just trying to make it just like they are. The reality is they're also in constant competition with their 'traditional' teammates too so this shouldn't be too different. The fact that he can't be called up actually may make him less of a threat to them.

It'll be a fascinating story no matter what. Well, for everybody except the Cuse fans. Ha!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Another question worth asking - do G-League coaches and training actually prepare someone better for the NBA than by going thru the top tier in the NCAA?

If you look at this list of G-League coaches, you have dudes who made the jump straight from being a HS coach, and one who was an intern for the G-League team 5 years ago.
BLAKE AHEARN
Ahearn joins the Spurs after serving one season as the head coach of his high school alma mater, De Smet Jesuit in St. Louis, Missouri. Prior to that he spent one season as the head coach at Clayton High School in St. Louis.

Honestly, I wonder if sitting out (i.e., not going to college nor G-League) is the best path to the NBA for those who would otherwise be a lottery pick in a "straight to the NBA model". Just train on your own time and still get an agent advance, shoe deal, endorsements, whatever to bridge the gap. And you won't get exposed. Same reason NFL QBs choose not to throw or participate at the combine.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Funny, Malik Rose (now Hawks' GLeague GM) was on the radio this morning and he mentioned something somewhat interesting in that regard.

He was asked if guys like Bazley could really develop at the GLeague level. He basically said it depends on the organization. Some organizations already use the GL to develop players and have actual development programs in place. Others don't.

The Spurs, despite @CuseJacket shade ;), are one of the better ones. Hawks started this year. I know MIA has a good system. They work from the NBA HC level down to develop a plan for each player so the fact that Ahearn isn't experienced doesn't necessarily mean those players will get a diminished level of support/guidance.

Also, let's not pretend college coaches' goals are to get a guy NBA-ready. For shame, CuseJ. For shame.