Merits of G-League vs. College Basketball

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

beats-me.gif

Hey, you're my lawyer. How does this help my case?

Malpractice!

Eta. And we you just gonna keep posting tweets til I responded? You know I saw the first one. Bully.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From a KY blogger

FWIW, it's expected that Jalen Green is going to take this option when he announces on Thursday rather than go to Auburn or Memphis.
Word is G-League is making a big push to get top 2020 kids to forgo college and play in th G-League next year
$125K pathways contract plus name, image likeness deal worth up to $500K plus the option of choosing which G-league team to join.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From a KY blogger

FWIW, it's expected that Jalen Green is going to take this option when he announces on Thursday rather than go to Auburn or Memphis.
Word is G-League is making a big push to get top 2020 kids to forgo college and play in th G-League next year
$125K pathways contract plus name, image likeness deal worth up to $500K plus the option of choosing which G-league team to join.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA pushed the NBA to make it easier for top players to go to the league. This is what they asked for.

Still not sure how a G League team image/likeness is worth $500K but if they can make it work all power to them.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, that is exactly what is happening. G League is putting together deals that include the salary contract ($125K), an endorsement deal (NIL) - I don't know the details of that but it wouldn't shock me is if those are through whatever shoe company the prospect played AAU ball with, and the right to choose which G-League team they want to play for.

So basically you make $500-700K for a year, don't have to go to college and then go to the NBA draft.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what the financials of the G-League are? Is it fully supported by the NBA via television deals and attendance to pro games or does it stand on its own?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does anyone know what the financials of the G-League are? Is it fully supported by the NBA via television deals and attendance to pro games or does it stand on its own?

Since you're my future business partner, in the peacKG executive search firm, I'll hazard an answer to your query ...

What do affiliations between NBA and NBA G Leagues entail?

There are two types of affiliations: one-to-one affiliation, in which the NBA team fully owns and operates its NBA G League team; and “hybrid” affiliation, in which the NBA team manages and funds the basketball operations while local ownership maintains control of the business and community relations aspects of the team.

Currently, 25 NBA teams fully own and operate their NBA G League affiliates: the Bucks, Bulls, Cavaliers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Hawks, Heat, Hornets, Jazz, Kings, Knicks, Lakers, Magic, Mavericks, Nets, Pacers, Pelicans, Raptors, Sixers, Spurs, Suns, Thunder, Timberwolves, Warriors and Wizards. Three teams have hybrid affiliations with their NBA G League affiliates: the Celtics, Pistons and Rockets.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://247sports.com/college/baske...Jalen-Green-Isaiah-Todd-RJ-Hampton-146074161/

When Hampton opted for the NBL last year, some scoffed at the idea that the Next Stars program or the G League would routinely become legitimate options for high school prospects. The truth is going to college is valued less by high school athletes now more than ever. These are not only real, appealing alternatives they fit what the elite players want to do – get to the money and the pros as quickly as possible.

As far as your question Pea, I believe the G-League is 100% owned by the NBA. The individual franchises in the G-League are owned by a major league team.
The G-League is the NBA's official minor league system.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, i think this is a pretty brilliant move on the G-League's part right now.
The top players for the most part don't care that much about playing in college, it is a one year way station on the way to the NBA.

Given all the uncertainty right now, there can be little degree of confidence that there will even be a college basketball season. Maybe there will, maybe there won't. So if the G-League comes and offers you a package of $500K or so to come play with them (or possibly not play) what would you do. i think most would say take the $500K, because if they don't play, at least I still get payed and I don't have to worry about classes.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, i think this is a pretty brilliant move on the G-League's part right now.
The top players for the most part don't care that much about playing in college, it is a one year way station on the way to the NBA.

Given all the uncertainty right now, there can be little degree of confidence that there will even be a college basketball season. Maybe there will, maybe there won't. So if the G-League comes and offers you a package of $500K or so to come play with them (or possibly not play) what would you do. i think most would say take the $500K, because if they don't play, at least I still get payed and I don't have to worry about classes.
I would argue that, in the long run, this is a good development for college basketball (and college athletics in general). On the one hand, it does take the best talent away from college hoops and therefore dilutes the quality of what we will see on the court. BUT, on the other hand, maybe it will reduce the endemic cheating, the influence of the shoe companies etc etc etc. That might, just *might* take us back to more level playing fields for all college programs, rather than today's "if you ain't cheating' then you ain't tryin'" mentality.

Or am I just a dreamer?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would argue that, in the long run, this is a good development for college basketball (and college athletics in general). On the one hand, it does take the best talent away from college hoops and therefore dilutes the quality of what we will see on the court. BUT, on the other hand, maybe it will reduce the endemic cheating, the influence of the shoe companies etc etc etc. That might, just *might* take us back to more level playing fields for all college programs, rather than today's "if you ain't cheating' then you ain't tryin'" mentality.

Or am I just a dreamer?

It will help on the fringes, but why would it stop the cheating?

The next level of kids in the pecking order will get some money, but probably less for each individual. The cheating budget dollar will just go farther.

Install the Olympic model, along with these top end kids going pro, and make it transparent. Cheating goes away because we'll see what's going on and a school's constituents will decide how much they'll support the cause, while schools fund what it takes to attend school.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The Federal indictments against the college coaches and shoe reps might have closed most of the back door money for the college game and the G-League contracts may merely represent the formation of a new market where that money can flow in the front door. Why should coaches, reps and players run the risk of running afoul when they can get the same thing above the table?

The talent is the commodity and we are seeing a lot of action across the globe for supply to meet demand. How many of these big money contracts for teenagers represent a speculative market? Are we seeing a bubble? At what point will there be a saturation of "stars?"

Baseball has had a stable minor league system for decades. Despite the bonus money, those prospects face a grueling bottle-neck to reach MLB. Basketball faces fewer infrastructure expenses and more international opportunities. But the rosters of basketball teams is relatively small and the shelf-life of a basketball player can be quite long, so that roster-turnover is less.

So, we get a cycle of a talent bottleneck, where emerging talent has fewer opportunities to crack into the big time, which results in the opening of a new market that the talent can exploit to earn a living. But then that market becomes saturated with talent and the cycle starts again. But at what point is there no longer a new market to exploit?

In Baseball's minor league system there has developed the trend where the AAA classification is largely occupied by veteran, fringe MLB talent and that most of the MLB franchise's most prized young prospects are in A and AA and only spend a short time in AAA if at all So, the saturation of MLB talent has filled AAA and now the development functions of the sport have been pushed down to AA and below.

I think that it is a foregone conclusion that college ball is no longer the default/mandatory developmental step in a professional basketball player's career. Players have alternatives that pose no existential threat to college basketball because pro-prospects represent such a small fraction of the basketball talent pool. Krzyzewski, Calipari, Miller, et. al. will have to compete with those pro-alternatives if they want to continue their present model of winning with proto-NBA talent. A question is, whether the NCAA/Feds are dedicated to closing down that back-door money? Even if they are not, is it just easier now for the talent to get a return on their market value in overtly professional venues?

But college basketball will be okay for those who enjoy the competition. The sport has a long tradition and established market. Even if the game is populated by players who are not as talented as the myriad of pro-leagues, the school Brands and competitive nature should leave a viable market.

As for the pro-leagues, how many is too many and when will they begin to dilute that market and decrease profitability and salaries? Is the decline in the popularity in attendance of live events merely a function of price or does it represent a cultural trend as young people prefer virtual entertainments? Big question, that.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Is there a draft process for these kids that enter the G League?
What happens to some lesser know kid that decides to go the G League route and isn’t picked up? Do they need clearance from the league itself or is it like it was before the 1 and done rule? Go pro at your own risk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From a KY blogger

I'd rather see that than BS "student" stuff being pulled.