Marcus Marshall Transferring

Animal02

Banned
Well this sucks. My selfish reasoning is just pissed off because he made us better, but when I stop and think about it, I think he's seriously going to regret this decision later in life. I'm not sure he has the size to play RB in the NFL (given his skillset). That GT education really would have paid off down the road if that ends up being the case.
Too many kids at too many schools only see the NFL as their next stop in life.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
He wasn't a starter anymore, he was beat out by Mills. He regained his starting role because Mills was a bonehead off the field.

He was the leading rusher on our team.

Whatever guys, its fine! You all win. Totally normal for three consecutive years to have 3 starters voluntarily leave our program. Nothing to see here! See you all next year! god forbid Mills gets strike three or flunks out, or he gets injured, or it dawns on you all how critical it is having two effective Bbacks, or that three years in our S&C is better than unproven freshmen coming in....its all good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Could be, was trying to absorb the verification that MM was leaving and that someone else was too...

Dang bruh, remind me not to have my phone out around awbuzz. :D

Next day on the Swarm he'll be up in the Lounge like, "Aye, y'all know kg01 jus' hooked up with Beyonce ..."

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
When one door closes another one opens. Marshall was a good player but no one is irreplaceable. This opens up another scholarship that will allow us to address another area of need on the team. We have more running backs than Carter has Liver Pills. I would gladly trade this ship for one that would bring us a great defensive lineman or linebacker.

Teams are ever evolving. If someone wants to leave it is better that they leave and not spread their lack of happiness to their teammates. Best of luck to Marcus unless and until he plays Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Probably been said, but the last carry of his GT career was awesome. I thought at the time that he had finally figured out how to run like a BB.

That's probably the frustrating thing about MM. He was just beginning to "get it" at the BB position. Before he was running on natural talent (the best pure runner on our roster IMO), but the last half of the season he was getting better at the 3-5 yard consistency runs that's the hallmark of the BB position that he lacked last season. He wasn't just the "big play" BB anymore. BB was starting to look like an explosive and ultra productive combo with him and Mills.

Now he's taking his talents to...?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
This is disappointing news. He was going to be a big part of our success the next two years. I hate to see him go but if he's making an informed choice about his life and how he wants to live it we can't really fault him.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I myself have never met Keith but I do know plenty of people who have. If that's the case it would go against literally everything I've ever heard about Keith and the Marshall family. Keith was a big advocate for Marcus coming to Tech in the first place.

Then why hasn't he talked him out of this? Maybe KM greatly regrets his time wasted at UG getting a **** degree while languishing behind Gurly and thought the same thing was happening with his brother (minus the **** degree part)?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Other than whine a lot and gnash your teeth, what would you like to see happen?

Um, What does this even mean? I would like to not see starters transfer. How about that? Its a message board discussing GT athletics. I think its concerning we're losing starters. Full stop. I don't need to go on beyond that as far as I know, but maybe you can shed some light into the acceptable and unacceptable opinions here? Not sure why I can't post that on a message board. Should I create a powerpoint on ways we can improve? Email the AD? I mean, I'm not sure what you're implying.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Whatever guys, its fine! You all win. Totally normal for three consecutive years to have 3 starters voluntarily leave our program. Nothing to see here! See you all next year! god forbid Mills gets strike three or flunks out, or he gets injured, or it dawns on you all how critical it is having two effective Bbacks, or that three years in our S&C is better than unproven freshmen coming in....its all good.
Nobody is saying this is a good thing. It's just not indicative of something abnormal in our program.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He had 22 more yards but played in 3 more games than DM. (MM played in 11 games, Mills played in 8.)
MM: 56.7 ypg
DM: 75.3 ypg

MM had 96 carries all season compared to 121 by Mills. MM also averaged 6.5 YPC versus DM's 5.0.

Both were good for the BB for various reasons. MM gave us big play capability at BB we haven't seen since Dwyer. Hopefully someone like Benson who was a track star can replicate that.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
It made sense to me when someone first brought this up because he lost his starting job to mills who was a freshmen and would be here for the next several years.

But with mills suspensions and then a concussion I felt he earned back the starting BB spot. With mills possibly being a strike away from leaving the team I thought for sure he would stay. So I really didn't think he would stick with his decision after getting a lot of playing time last half of the year.

It is surprising he went through with it, but it seems like it really bothered him losing his starting spot to mills early in the season. So if his heart isn't fully here, better for him to go.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody is saying this is a good thing. It's just not indicative of something abnormal in our program.

Here's what I'm saying...its more than that...No, its not good, but I don't think its normal either. That's where we seem to have a disconnect. Everyone seems to think that losing starters like this is "normal". I argue its not normal. Its not an indictment on the staff, its not a meltdown, its none of those things...its a simple statement that I made that this seems to be a troubling trend. I'm not discussing normal attrition, I'm talking about these specific scenarios that seem to happen (nearly) annually.

Also, not ONE person has brought any other example that approaches this.. The ONLY examples I've seen are known due in part BECAUSE its a big deal. Tennessee, Texas A&M, Florida, etc.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

There has been zero indication that this transfer is at all the fault of CPJ or the program. Marshall came into the year the top guy and got beat out because Mills worked his *** off and proved he deserved the starting job. Marshall “regained” his starting job for playing really well in the 2 games that Mills was suspended which is why Marshall got more snaps against UGA. Credit to CPJ to playing the guy that EARNED it every week. Don’t make this a problem about CPJ for doing the right thing. If a player wants more carries they should earn it. If they want more carries without earning it. Go somewhere else where you don’t have the competition. Mills only made Marshall work harder and be a better back. It’s his fault he can’t see that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Um, What does this even mean? I would like to not see starters transfer. How about that? Its a message board discussing GT athletics. I think its concerning we're losing starters. Full stop. I don't need to go on beyond that as far as I know, but maybe you can shed some light into the acceptable and unacceptable opinions here? Not sure why I can't post that on a message board. Should I create a powerpoint on ways we can improve? Email the AD? I mean, I'm not sure what you're implying.

Lmao....you could have just shortened your reply to "I just want to whine and gnash my teeth."

I asked what you would like to see happen because you spent 5 pages carrying on about how this is the football equivalent to the end of the world. You also seemed to imply it's a problem that needs to be addressed and reversed. I was just curious if you actually had any ideas on how it should be addressed / handled. But you don't.

It is a concerning trend taterhead but as we improve upon recruiting it is to be expected some. Most of the athletes are the prima donnas in high school the big man on campus. When they get to college and there are 84 other big men on campus welllllllll things change.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I'm saying...its more than that...No, its not good, but I don't think its normal either. That's where we seem to have a disconnect. Everyone seems to think that losing starters like this is "normal". I argue its not normal. Its not an indictment on the staff, its not a meltdown, its none of those things...its a simple statement that I made that this seems to be a troubling trend. I'm not discussing normal attrition, I'm talking about these specific scenarios that seem to happen (nearly) annually.

Also, not ONE person has brought any other example that approaches this.. The ONLY examples I've seen are known due in part BECAUSE its a big deal. Tennessee, Texas A&M, Florida, etc.
It's troubling but I wouldn't necessarily call it a trend. I'd like to keep all our starters, major contributors (MM) and potential contributors and lose only dead weight. Then I wake up and realize that all these guys have lives and motivations and issues none of us have any clue about. Every kid is his own story. We have 85+ stories on the team of which we know very little.

Imo, it's much worse to lose guys who are bounced for rules violations. The three DL's that would have been upperclassmen and likely impact players right now come to mind.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude, I can't help you read a post. I said Starters and large contributors voluntarily leaving the program is concerning. I don't care about dismissals. Everyone pointing to other programs and their starters leaving know about that because its a big deal. I'm not freaking out about CPJ, I love the guy, but to say its not a bit concerning or maybe a trend seems pretty blind to me.
You're wrong, be an adult and admit when you're wrong. It'll make you a better person.