Marcus Marshall Transferring

GTFLETCH

Banned
Sounds like one of tow issues, School Grades caught up to him, or he doesn't want to put in the effort to be a better blocker that would allow him to push or beat out D. Mills

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What bums me about this is that I agree that, except when Mills was on the bench, Marcus wasn't getting the number of carries he needed to make the contribution he could have. That's why I have thought that he should have been moved to AB next year so we could give him and Mills 10 - 20 carries a game. That optimizes the offensive firepower we have in one backfield. And, I bet, if he had stayed, that would have happened.

That said, it is too bad that he wasn't willing to stick around. I don't doubt things would have worked out for him here, but obviously he didn't see that coming. (Perhaps Benson or Quaid is showing better in practice then we know?) It is doubly bad in that he never had classroom problems - we don't see that too often - and he kept his head on straight.

I see him transferring to an AAC or MAC school myself; he'd fit great at Houston or, maybe, out West somewhere. But wherever he ends up I wish him the best. He exasperated the dickens out of me occasionally but he stopped that and became, I think, a really good back. I'm sure he has something in mind and I hope he has success at it. Thanks for the memories Marcus!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thanks? I challenge you to find a team with a similar exodus, I couldn't. Remember how big of a deal it was when A&M lost their QB and Tennessee lost theirs? Its like that, but we've lost more and at more positions.

Glad you think this is normal attrition, but you're wrong. Even if you find examples similar its probably in the context of it not being good.

EDIT: I'm blown away no one else sees this as a disturbing trend. I'm not suggesting to get rid of anyone or its the end of the world, but it doesn't seem good.

Losing Vad was the best thing that ever happened for the 2014 team

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He was recruited by Vandy. If he's going to give up an education like GT's, I hope it's for one like Vandy.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I disagree.

In four years we've lost:
A starting QB
A starting WR
A starting RB
Two potential starting LBers

These are voluntary transfers by the way, I'm not counting those that have to transfer.

Vad thought he was NFL caliber, he simply was not... JT with Heart was OB MVP, while Vad was a great FCS QB, not FBS
Jeff Greene the WR who left because he loved himself, I think he caight 1 pass at Ohio State while Darren Waller his replacement is on an NFL roster
I can on and on.... Transferring for reasons besides grades shows a flaw and most (not all) lead to student athletes not progressing to next level..

Takes heart, dedication and time to master your craft at this level..

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is unreal. Marshall Dawg family getting in his ear. Its amazing Keith stuck around at UGA the entire time, but Marcus is out after leading our team in rushing two consecutive years.

I've said it elsewhere, but this is a horrible trend under CPJ. Too many starters and contributors are leaving the team year over year.

Other than whine a lot and gnash your teeth, what would you like to see happen?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree.

In four years we've lost:
A starting QB
A starting WR
A starting RB
Two potential starting LBers

These are voluntary transfers by the way, I'm not counting those that have to transfer.
Can also read this as:
Vad left and was replaced by JT, who has been much better for us.

Summers left and was replaced by Jeune/Stewart, who are both better.

Marshall leaving after being replaced by Mills who he started over only because of suspensions.

LBers left because of PJ Davis (a stud) and Mitchell, who has shown a lot of ability aside from a couple of games this year. Plus, next year we have Vic and Lewis ready to fill the spots.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone has that. I get it. Holy ****, what do you guys not understand here? The question is around starters leaving the program voluntarily. Again, point to other teams that have had the same thing, and I'll point to the articles and bruhaha around that as evidence that it IS a big deal.

I think the point is that these players were not exactly entrenched starters. The only one who had a guaranteed starting position was Summers.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Bingo, i bet that his dwag brother has been in his ear preaching that playing B-back will hurt his nfl chances
I myself have never met Keith but I do know plenty of people who have. If that's the case it would go against literally everything I've ever heard about Keith and the Marshall family. Keith was a big advocate for Marcus coming to Tech in the first place.