Marcus Marshall Transferring

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I disagree that MM wouldn't have started if he was a better blocker. He is a more explosive player. Had he fully bought in (blocking is about want to as much as anything) and not been hurt I think he would have been a clear step above. Is he as tough as DM, no, but his talent as a ball carrier is better. That's not a knock on Dedrick, just think MM is a better runner.
I'll agree to disagree.

wxl

Georgia Tech Fan
How many times a game do we have 3rd and 2 or 4th and one? Who would you rather have at B back? I liked both of them and they would have been a deadly duo, but if I had to choose one it would be Mills. All last year and most of this year MM made very few yards after contact. The last 3 games were the only times I saw MM get the tough yards. If he had done that all year he would be the starter. Why did he start running tough after he decided to transfer is beyond me. Maybe the fear of fumbling made him less aggressive. I remember his first fumble last year was after he tried to get extra yards after contact.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree we need the big runs out of our B backs but my point is it is more important for our B backs to get 3 and 4 yards while being hit (yac) over a guy giving us 3 big runs a game. What I mean by that is would you rather have the 3-4 yards a carry with no big runs or 3 big runs but 1-2 yards a carry? I just believe those big runs are pointless if you can consistantly get 3-4 and be very good with yac. Plus imo mills will give us some of those big plays. I would actually dare to say that on some of marshals big runs, mills would have gotten them as well, most of them he virtually went untouched because of great blocking. Not to take away from Marshall because I think he's a very good runner this is just my opinion.

Mills is a tough runner. He adds to our team. That being said he had some opportunities to break big plays...he either missed the read or was caught.

Some rumors about him transferring in January as well on another forum with several others.
I hope not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

MM: 6.5 ypc
DM: 5.0 ypc

Numbers are a funny thing...
Here are some career averages
Jamaal Charles: 5.5 ypc
Gale Sayers: 5.0 ypc
Eric Dickerson: 4.4 ypc
Walter Payton: 4.4 ypc
Tony Dorset: 4.3 ypc
Earl Campbell: 4.2 ypc

I hate stats with a damn passion because everyone uses them as the end all be all method to prove their point instead of just using it to assist in their point. Film trumps all.

Also FWIW the NFL career leader in ypc (minimum 750 carries) is Michael Vick at 7.0.

jeffgt14

I'm not one to bash our staff but this is on them for letting this happen. MM is a special talent, the most gifted back we've had in Johnson's tenure besides Dwyer. I didn't like the move to start Mills ahead of him, I was vocal about that from day 1.

He should've been on the field at all times at BB or AB and this wouldn't be happening. By "this", I mean us losing the most gifted back we've had on the Flats in almost a decade. Absolute stud. Homerun speed with good size, balance, and power. The kid did NOTHING but produce for us when he was on the field.

Great job staff. Damnit I'm steaming now.
By all means please join our staff and tell them that what they see in practice is all wrong. There's a reason CPJ is getting paid millions to coach our team and make roster decision based on what he sees in practice, scrimmages, and games. The way some of you talk is a giant snack in the face to how damn good Mills has been for us this year. And for the last ****ing time you don't play someone to keep them happy so they don't transfer.

jeffgt14

How many times a game do we have 3rd and 2 or 4th and one? Who would you rather have at B back? I liked both of them and they would have been a deadly duo, but if I had to choose one it would be Mills. All last year and most of this year MM made very few yards after contact. The last 3 games were the only times I saw MM get the tough yards. If he had done that all year he would be the starter. Why did he start running tough after he decided to transfer is beyond me. Maybe the fear of fumbling made him less aggressive. I remember his first fumble last year was after he tried to get extra yards after contact.
No as Tech fans we must hail the greatness of the guy who performed better the last 3 games of the season similar to those who perform the last 6 games of their career.

I'm not one to bash our staff but this is on them for letting this happen. MM is a special talent, the most gifted back we've had in Johnson's tenure besides Dwyer. I didn't like the move to start Mills ahead of him, I was vocal about that from day 1.

He should've been on the field at all times at BB or AB and this wouldn't be happening. By "this", I mean us losing the most gifted back we've had on the Flats in almost a decade. Absolute stud. Homerun speed with good size, balance, and power. The kid did NOTHING but produce for us when he was on the field.

Totally disagree with you on that. The HC should always start the player he considers (rightly or wrongly) to be the best at a given position, and that's what Johnson did. Also, we really don't know why MM is transferring, as real as the SPECULATIONS might sound. Who knows but that he would have transferred anyway. I mean, good grief, he saw plenty of action this year with awesome results. I would think that should fill any ego needs he, or anyone like him, might have. Some have SPECULATED that he really didn't like having to block, and that is something that is required of every back in a Johnson backfield. That's one reason we don't get the "great" receivers at Tech, because many of them don't want to block. But the ones we get who excel have generally been great blockers too, and that, coupled with their receiving abilities, is why so many of them have gotten shots in the NFL.

jeffgt14

Totally disagree with you on that. The HC should always start the player he considers (rightly or wrongly) to be the best at a given position, and that's what Johnson did. Also, we really don't know why MM is transferring, as real as the SPECULATIONS might sound. Who knows but that he would have transferred anyway. I mean, good grief, he saw plenty of action this year with awesome results. I would think that should fill any ego needs he, or anyone like him, might have. Some have SPECULATED that he really didn't like having to block, and that is something that is required of every back in a Johnson backfield. That's one reason we don't get the "great" receivers at Tech, because many of them don't want to block. But the ones we get who excel have generally been great blockers too, and that, coupled with their receiving abilities, is why so many of them have gotten shots in the NFL.
Our receivers are well liked in the NFL because of the fact they block. Kevin Cone spent 5 years in the league for nothing but blocking.

Milwaukee

Banned
By all means please join our staff and tell them that what they see in practice is all wrong. There's a reason CPJ is getting paid millions to coach our team and make roster decision based on what he sees in practice, scrimmages, and games. The way some of you talk is a giant snack in the face to how damn good Mills has been for us this year. And for the last ****ing time you don't play someone to keep them happy so they don't transfer.

Who said Mills isn't a beast? Stop being sensitive and selective.

Milwaukee

Banned

He's transferring because he didn't get enough pt. Paint it however you want.

This is why we can't have nice things. I'v gone from praising the staff to absolutely pissed off in a matter of days. This is ridiculous.

I love Mills, but he's not the special talent MM is. We just took a step back in talent, and we already suffer in that aspect. This pisses me off the more it hits home. Unbelievable.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The staff botched this one, plain and simple.
How so? I'm sorry. I've been holding back but this kid must be one more thin-skinned prima donna to leave a bright future at a Power 5 school to go play at, if rumors are correct, James Madison or East Carolina just because he wants "more touches" or "more love" or something. Or because he doesn't like an offense where he has to do stuff to help other teammates succeed like block, carry out fakes. Either way, I've been a Tech fan 40 some odd years. Somebody will come from nowhere and fill his shoes. How many people thought Zach Laskey or Synjyn Days or PJ Daniels and Robbie Godhigh as walk-ons were going to ever be big time contributors? Meanwhile, MM is going to have to deal with the harsh reality that the world does not revolve around him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So this is disappointing. And we will feel the burn even more if rumors around mills difficulties are true.

Bottom line is mills is a better power runner. Mm has home run threat mills doesnt. This isnt an either or discussion. It sucks we couldnt keep both. It sucks. Both bring aspects to the offense the other didnt have. Uga kept michel, chubb and gurley. We didnt keep our top two. Attitudes? Staff handling it wrong? Who knows but many schools have two top backs and keep them. This time we didnt

Cpj is a big team first gut. So.....

And we lose one now. Lord willing hopefully not two.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I disagree. Coaches shouldn't pander to 18 yr olds to keep them happy no matter how talented. Every position has guys battling for order on the depth chart. If you don't win out, you need to a) get better, b) deal with it or c) leave. MM took door #3. This says more about him than our coaches.

Now if your opinion is CPJ made the wrong decision on who was the better Bback, that's a different story. However, I'm gonna defer to the guy who's the professional coach, whose job is on the line, who sees the players every single day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Blaming the coaches for this is ridiculous. One, we don't even really know why he's transferring, but let's just assume it's because he got beat out...

If that's the case, the coaches determined DM gave us a better chance to win. Good, I'll let the guys who are paid to coach make that decision rather than the fans.

Now let's look at the AB suggestion, since that has been popular for some time now:
  1. The coaches have consistently said he had trouble with blocking and ball security. Sure, so let's put him at a position that has arguably the most critical blocking assignments in our offense when they do not have the ball, and when they do get the ball, they have to snag it out of the air (sometimes one-handed) while sprinting out towards the sidelines. Can't see any potential problems with that scenario....
  2. The kid is upset because he doesn't get enough carries...so let's put him at a position where he may get 5 touches a game. Well, that's about what he had this year when DM played if you go back and look...and apparently that wasn't enough to make him stay
Bottom line that he's gone and it's not the coaches' fault...he just didn't think it was a good fit anymore. Thank him for his time and wish him good luck. Time to move on.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Coaches shouldn't pander to 18 yr olds to keep them happy no matter how talented. Every position has guys battling for order on the depth chart. If you don't win out, you need to a) get better, b) deal with it or c) leave. MM took door #3. This says more about him than our coaches.

Now if your opinion is CPJ made the wrong decision on who was the better Bback, that's a different story. However, I'm gonna defer to the guy who's the professional coach, whose job is on the line, who sees the players every single day.

1. If mills is missing next fall, we will have a different frame of reference on coaches ability to judge and build a team WITH elite athletes. I will be with coach even then as he has fixed the offense like he promised after 15. Imo we will be better in 17. With both mm and mills we could be a lot better.
2. Sure seems like we could have had both these guys on field for a few plays.m Ab counter left following bb dive to right by these two could awsome. Being real this could not happen this year as we are busy fixing it.
3. I think coach is committed to having depth spread across upper and lower class men. I see what he did with the ol and think he will do this at every position. While in 14,we did finally get Great play from a heavily 5 th year senior group of ab and bb , as you pointed out we were a wreck in 15. Watching our blocking in q4 of uga shows the ab are getting it. Reloading in minor steps is way better than all at once.
4. Having lot of depth with talented players is ideal but not easily done at Qb and bb as they are keys to the TO.
5. Wish mm had stayed. He would be a great addition to the talented group of bb and ab. Too bad he didn't trust his ability and coaches ability to find a way to make it work.
6. I hope we get enough depth So That coach can send in a group of players that are good at a package of plays (our version of the wild cat or a passing set) . I could see Marshall being special.
7. Thanks mr M. Good luck to you after u get out of uga, but until then THWG! You are dead to me.

jeffgt14

The staff botched this one, plain and simple.
Here’s 2 scenarios for you.

Scenario 1)
A manager has 2 really good employees. He has a big project coming up that he needs one to take the lead on and the other to continue to work on smaller projects. Employee A has been there a year less but has proven that he is better suited to take on the larger project. Employee B is probably capable too but not as much and the manager is afraid Employee B might quit if he give the big project to Employee A. Who gets the project?

Scenario 2)
There’s a giant spaceship, let’s call it The Death Star, that needs to be destroyed. You have 2 pilots that are really good. One older than the other and both probably capable of destroying it but you need one to run point and destroy it and the other to provide backup and help fight off the enemy. Let’s call these 2 Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. You believe Luke, although less experienced, is better suited for running point but you’re afraid Han may get mad and quit and not provide backup for Luke if you pick Luke. Who do you let destroy The Death Star?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here’s 2 scenarios for you.

Scenario 1)
A manager has 2 really good employees. He has a big project coming up that he needs one to take the lead on and the other to continue to work on smaller projects. Employee A has been there a year less but has proven that he is better suited to take on the larger project. Employee B is probably capable too but not as much and the manager is afraid Employee B might quit if he give the big project to Employee A. Who gets the project?

Scenario 2)
There’s a giant spaceship, let’s call it The Death Star, that needs to be destroyed. You have 2 pilots that are really good. One older than the other and both probably capable of destroying it but you need one to run point and destroy it and the other to provide backup and help fight off the enemy. Let’s call these 2 Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. You believe Luke, although less experienced, is better suited for running point but you’re afraid Han may get mad and quit and not provide backup for Luke if you pick Luke. Who do you let destroy The Death Star?
yoda.png
"I think, lost your mind, you have."