Marcus Marshall Transferring

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree that MM wouldn't have beat out DM if his blocking was better. Mills has shown he is a better between the tackles runner with a tendency to find a hole even when one is hardly there. He can also run over people and fall forward for a few extra yards. Marshall has shown the ability to explode through larger holes and make people miss and take one to the house every now and then. Both are obviously great skillsets to have as a tandum but Mills won the job and it's not only because of blocking.

I disagree that MM wouldn't have started if he was a better blocker. He is a more explosive player. Had he fully bought in (blocking is about want to as much as anything) and not been hurt I think he would have been a clear step above. Is he as tough as DM, no, but his talent as a ball carrier is better. That's not a knock on Dedrick, just think MM is a better runner.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I disagree that MM wouldn't have started if he was a better blocker. He is a more explosive player. Had he fully bought in (blocking is about want to as much as anything) and not been hurt I think he would have been a clear step above. Is he as tough as DM, no, but his talent as a ball carrier is better. That's not a knock on Dedrick, just think MM is a better runner.
Our B backs are more about getting the power runs 3 and 4 yards when you need them over the home run threat, and that's why DM was the starter, blocking aside.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Our B backs are more about getting the power runs 3 and 4 yards when you need them over the home run threat, and that's why DM was the starter, blocking aside.

MM could get the 3-4 yards just fine. Disagree that BB is just about the 3-4 tough yards - PJ has always said that BB was more like an I back than a FB. Think about how many BB outside options that we have run with Mills and MM this year. Either way, I'm not knocking DM - I like him too, I just think MM had a higher ceiling. He obviously never bought in though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
MM could get the 3-4 yards just fine. Disagree that BB is just about the 3-4 tough yards - PJ has always said that BB was more like an I back than a FB. Think about how many BB outside options that we have run with Mills and MM this year. Either way, I'm not knocking DM - I like him too, I just think MM had a higher ceiling. He obviously never bought in though.
DM was better at getting the 3-4 yards when it wasn't there to get, he was able to power through tacklers better. The only thing imo that Marshall was better at was making a guy miss in open space. I like them both and hate Marshall leaving its just my opinion mills is better suited as an all around player for B back.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
“At this point, I have decided to move on from the GT football team and will be transferring in January to continue my football and academic career,” Marshall wrote.

Marshall was not the only Tech player to declare his intention to leave Wednesday. Redshirt freshman Dorian Walker, who played a special-teams role this season, also announced on Twitter that he will transfer after the semester. Neither will play in Tech’s bowl game.

Link

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Some more from the article link above -
"In an interview with the AJC in mid-November, Marcus’s father Warren Marshall said his son had had second thoughts about his future at Tech, as might any young player going through adversity. However, both father and son said that he was happy and enjoying school. Coach Paul Johnson said that Marshall responded in a positive way toward losing the starting job to Mills.

“It was motivating,” Marcus Marshall said. “I felt like everyone wants to be a starter, so that was disappointing. My mindset was to get better for every game and try to prove I could be the starter and help the team any way I could.”

In a text message Wednesday, Warren Marshall called it a “very difficult decision for Marcus and the family as a whole.” He likewise expressed his thanks to Johnson and the coaching staff for the opportunity.

“We do not wish to be a distraction to GT and their bowl preparation, so this will be our only statement at this time,” Warren Marshall wrote in the text.
In an interview with the AJC in mid-November, Marcus’s father Warren Marshall said his son had had second thoughts about his future at Tech, as might any young player going through adversity. However, both father and son said that he was happy and enjoying school. Coach Paul Johnson said that Marshall responded in a positive way toward losing the starting job to Mills.

“It was motivating,” Marcus Marshall said. “I felt like everyone wants to be a starter, so that was disappointing. My mindset was to get better for every game and try to prove I could be the starter and help the team any way I could.”

In a text message Wednesday, Warren Marshall called it a “very difficult decision for Marcus and the family as a whole.” He likewise expressed his thanks to Johnson and the coaching staff for the opportunity.

“We do not wish to be a distraction to GT and their bowl preparation, so this will be our only statement at this time,” Warren Marshall wrote in the text."

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Some more from the article link above -
"In an interview with the AJC in mid-November, Marcus’s father Warren Marshall said his son had had second thoughts about his future at Tech, as might any young player going through adversity. However, both father and son said that he was happy and enjoying school. Coach Paul Johnson said that Marshall responded in a positive way toward losing the starting job to Mills.

“We do not wish to be a distraction to GT and their bowl preparation, so this will be our only statement at this time,” Warren Marshall wrote in the text.
In an interview with the AJC in mid-November, Marcus’s father Warren Marshall said his son had had second thoughts about his future at Tech, as might any young player going through adversity. However, both father and son said that he was happy and enjoying school. Coach Paul Johnson said that Marshall responded in a positive way toward losing the starting job to Mills.

“We do not wish to be a distraction to GT and their bowl preparation, so this will be our only statement at this time,” Warren Marshall wrote in the text."
I really don't like the whole "we don't want to be a distraction to GT during bowl prep" Maybe Marcus should've waited a month before doing this then.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I really don't like the whole "we don't want to be a distraction to GT during bowl prep" Maybe Marcus should've waited a month before doing this then.

If he is planning to start at another school in January, he can't wait until possibly Dec. 31 to start the process of changing. If someone wants to transfer, the week after the last regular season game makes the most sense.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I loved Marcus as a player but I agree. I would rather see the next man up start getting in game reps in the bowl because we'll be starting big with Tennessee in week 1 next year. Obviously I want Dedrick to start but we need to start working in Quaide or Benson or whichever player is next so they're ready when we need them next year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hate it when kids transfer. I love to see kids stick it out and succeed at Tech. Tons of full-scholarship kids (athletic and academic) transfer out, for a myriad of reasons. I have enjoyed watching Marcus Marshall grow over his first two years. I believe he has tremendous potential, beyond what he's already shown and accomplished. I hate to see that potential go somewhere else.

All that being said, Tech is not for everyone. Academically, socially, athletically, whatever...people have their own reasons for what they do. If Marcus [Dorian, et. al.] aren't happy doing what they're doing at Tech, especially early in their college careers, go find where you'll be happy. Life's too short to be miserable. Life's too short to have regrets. I don't know his reasons for transferring, and frankly, I don't care. They're his reasons, and he doesn't owe me anything.

I wish anyone who leaves the program the best of luck in Life and success in whatever they strive to do, except as it conflicts with my Georgia Tech fandom.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow

This a huge falsehood. If you look at the stats in our big seasons we have had bbacks who could get to the second level. This is especially true if you see what occurred when Days got playing time after Laskey was hurt in 2014. When a bback is not breaking long runs twice a game we are destined for 7-5 or worse type seasons.

MM leaving is a huge loss. Great kid, great student and a potential pro player. He is the student athlete we all talk about and what makes our program different than all these SEC programs mentioned the thread.
We should be troubled by this loss. It does not mirror some of the others mentioned in here. I wish him the best.

We have Benson who has huge potential. If you saw him in high school he was a impossible to stop at times. Incredible speed. That being said he was involved with DM in the first suspension. He is a difference maker and is a good kid.

I think Mills is a gamer but MM should have started ahead of him. He has big play ability. The same reason Justin starts over Jordan who is tough, can run the midline and generally get positive yards. Like all coaches CPJ has his favorites.

Our offense runs well when we get big plays. We are in the top ten year after year except for last year in plays over 20 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm not one to bash our staff but this is on them for letting this happen. MM is a special talent, the most gifted back we've had in Johnson's tenure besides Dwyer. I didn't like the move to start Mills ahead of him, I was vocal about that from day 1.

He should've been on the field at all times at BB or AB and this wouldn't be happening. By "this", I mean us losing the most gifted back we've had on the Flats in almost a decade. Absolute stud. Homerun speed with good size, balance, and power. The kid did NOTHING but produce for us when he was on the field.

Great job staff. Damnit I'm steaming now.

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
I know this is a looongg reach but now is a good time to go get Cam Akers he's going to run the ball he's got to love that but I don't see it happening on getting him,yeah I hate it for MM but maybe it's good for him, loved it when I heard he was going to Tech like 2yrs ago in recruiting but it is what it is don't know where he'll go but I wish him Good Luck in where ever he goes,i'd say we need to get a good BB in recruiting yeah I know Dedrick Mills is the future but he's got to stay out of trouble I'm worried abt him,whoever we get in the bowl game I hope we beat the mess out of them Gooo Tech

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This a huge falsehood. If you look at the stats in our big seasons we have had bbacks who could get to the second level. This is especially true if you see what occurred when Days got playing time after Laskey was hurt in 2014. When a bback is not breaking long runs twice a game we are destined for 7-5 or worse type seasons.

MM leaving is a huge loss. Great kid, great student and a potential pro player. He is the student athlete we all talk about and what makes our program different than all these SEC programs mentioned the thread.
We should be troubled by this loss. It does not mirror some of the others mentioned in here. I wish him the best.

We have Benson who has huge potential. If you saw him in high school he was a impossible to stop at times. Incredible speed. That being said he was involved with DM in the first suspension. He is a difference maker and is a good kid.

I think Mills is a gamer but MM should have started ahead of him. He has big play ability. The same reason Justin starts over Jordan who is tough, can run the midline and generally get positive yards. Like all coaches CPJ has his favorites.

Our offense runs well when we get big plays. We are in the top ten year after year except for last year in plays over 20 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree we need the big runs out of our B backs but my point is it is more important for our B backs to get 3 and 4 yards while being hit (yac) over a guy giving us 3 big runs a game. What I mean by that is would you rather have the 3-4 yards a carry with no big runs or 3 big runs but 1-2 yards a carry? I just believe those big runs are pointless if you can consistantly get 3-4 and be very good with yac. Plus imo mills will give us some of those big plays. I would actually dare to say that on some of marshals big runs, mills would have gotten them as well, most of them he virtually went untouched because of great blocking. Not to take away from Marshall because I think he's a very good runner this is just my opinion.