Marco Coleman New Defensive Line Coach

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hope we pin this:

One of CGC sub defenses is a Nickel 3-3-5 Odd where the WDE is a standup rusher. So it would make sense that OLBs and DEs are together

I will do a breakdown in a few weeks to provide clarity

I look forward to the breakdown. It's a little counterintuitive to your average, casual fan (like me) to imagine the defensive coaching assignments divided vertically instead of horizontally. But I'm learning, thanks to the breakdowns.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I look forward to the breakdown. It's a little counterintuitive to your average, casual fan (like me) to imagine the defensive coaching assignments divided vertically instead of horizontally. But I'm learning, thanks to the breakdowns.

Here’s an visual example for understanding
DA8C51EE-B528-49C5-8FD6-EDA6D1161938.jpeg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think our biggest question mark with a 3-3-5 will be at MLB. Some 3-3-5s have the NG and MLB share a gap responsibility. I think Adams will fit this just fine at the 0 tech NG. But we need a stud MLB behind him.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cautionary tale, talent alone is not enough.
New DC and new OC (the u touchable ) will restart coaching.
Willie Tarrant had terrible first year.

But another and even bigger deal is the trend of recruiting 247

U of Fla, UCF , USF are pulling talent.

If fsu dogs in Willie's second season this trend could continue.

2018 recruiting #17
2017 recruiting #11
2016 recruiting # 7 ish
2015 recruiting # 3

Clemson in the playoffs looks likely.

Gt would go nuts if we got a 17 class.

Time to coach up what we have and improve 25% each year

Last edited:

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess I'm a little confused. A little unusual to have a DE/OLB coach and then a DT coach. Why doesn't Coleman coach the DL and Knight coach the linebackers?

There's no (solely) DT coach. Sounds like Knight will be DL coach, we have an LB coach, and Marco Coleman will specialize in coaching the DE/OLBs.

There is sub unit coaching. Happens on plenty staffs.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

foreverjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry something ain't right here , Panagos is the DL coach has he moved on ? And if not what is Marco Coleman going to coach ?

You are absolutely correct, something "ain't right". My suspicion is that what "is wrong" is that Panagos was never committed to being here in the first place. That's fine, if he doesn't want to be here, bad news early is good news for us.

I've followed GT football regularly for over 40 years and I can tell you without a doubt that Marco Coleman is one of the five best players I ever saw play for GT over that period. If he can coach only half as well as he played, we will be just fine.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had really hoped we would keep him.
I really liked his last year- got all his players involved, , put some young in quality time, in his sideline really gathered them All for teaching, even encouraged guys in another post group.

Still glad we are moving on.
He was let go when Woody came

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I really liked his last year- got all his players involved, , put some young in quality time, in his sideline really gathered them All for teaching, even encouraged guys in another post group.

Still glad we are moving on.
He was let go when Woody came

Riase was brought in with Woody. Are you talking about Pelton?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not hating on any former coaches at all but a clean house is the best kind of house. Don’t inherit unknown problems and have no easy scapegoats on staff.