Marco Coleman New Defensive Line Coach

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
True, but the coaching experience he does have is in the NFL.
The techniques and schemes the NFL dl use are way better than acc. How we use arms seems lacking ( get tangled up).

To your point
We are very young at dl so it could be lots of scheme/ stunts/ blitzs that could be hard to teach.
Still think the upside is so high it's a great hire.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The techniques and schemes the NFL dl use are way better than acc. How we use arms seems lacking ( get tangled up).

To your point
We are very young at dl so it could be lots of scheme/ stunts/ blitzs that could be hard to teach.
Still think the upside is so high it's a great hire.

Thacker said something (from video interview) that made me think some of the slanting and gap shooting we did with Woody will have some carryover into this year. A positive.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to say if this is an upgrade but had Coleman been hired before Panagos left we all would have been excited- CGC probably doesn’t know if this is an upgrade or downgrade but was probably favoring Panagos because he was unfamiliar with Coleman as a coach and never worked with him. This will probably be great upgrade which is what Happens when you give someone who worked very hard for many years and was successful, a chance to do something they show passion for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the short term I expect this to be a negative, long terms we'll see,
We are trading a coach with alot of experience and having been honored as the best coach at his position in 2009 for a former great player (at both the NCAA and NFL levels) who has less than 9 months coaching experience and no recruiting experience.

Just being a great player doesn't make you a great coach. Panagos would have been one of our more experienced coaches.
Still happy to welcome Marco back, but a little disappointed we lost Panagos.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No one really knows whether it is an upgrade coaching-wise, but I would imagine that he would be a good recruiter with a compelling history (14 years in the NFL, and came back to get his degree). I really think recruiting is the name of the game, so I'm stoked about the hire. I think the fan base will be stoked about it, too. He's pretty much a legend around here. As for experience, you're right to point out that he has little coaching experience but 14 years in the NFL ought to compensate for that. For a coordinator or an HC, experience is a must. But for a position coach, I think experience actually doing the job counts, too. And he coached for a year in the NFL, so he's got his feet wet.
FSU.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Marco is a cool, personable guy. I had a class with him my senior year. I don’t believe he’ll have any issues recruiting or coaching especially coming from the financial service world where you to do what’s in the best interest of your client and have to creative in your approach and strategies.

Panagos may have the experience but young people tend to hear the message a little bit better when someone has actually lived it and was successful at where they are trying to go

Marco is a walking “40 yr plan” and checks a lot of CGC boxes

Grad? Check
Played in the NFL? Check
Was he successful in the league? Check
Was he successful outside of football? Check

Looks like a good hire to me
Can he teach technique and maximize potential? If yes, great hire.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Can he teach technique and maximize potential? If yes, great hire.
That's true of coach of all the coaches.
I think he "knows" techniques to a high level.
I am only concerned he cant see what's happening from the sideline to coach up during game (Coach was legendary at seeing the field).

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
People keep saying this staff can recruit, but has 'uncertainty when it comes to coaching ability', as if the two are mutually exclusive. Where is there evidence any of these guys can't coach? All the guys that came from Temple were part of a staff that had good defenses there. One bad bowl game against Duke does not erase two seasons of good defense at Temple. Quit acting like that. The only one I've heard anything specifically said about poor coaching performance was some Florida fans griping about Dixon. Tashard Choice was just nominated for top RB coach in CFB this year. How's that fit the narrative of 'can recruit but can't coach'?
Of course the two are not mutually exclusive, and I didn’t say a coach couldn’t be good at both recruiting and coaching. To win big at GT you have to be great at both. At this point, I believe we have some great recruiters, but I’m less convinced of their coaching chops. I hope they turn out to be great at both.