March Madness Group

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
And Marshall Plumlee's 5th foul was a Wilmington player pulling on his arm.

Like I said, I can go tit for tat.

Yeah, I think you're wrong, fwiw. Plumlee pushed him out of the way before knocking him down with the arm-swing.

Also, I think that there are degrees of bad calls. Sometimes you just miss it. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be any excuse for missing it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I think you're wrong, fwiw. Plumlee pushed him out of the way before knocking him down with the arm-swing.

Also, I think that there are degrees of bad calls. Sometimes you just miss it. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be any excuse for missing it.
Agree with the latter part, and imo both calls we're talking about have the same range of variance in interpretation. I really think the announcers were blatantly pro-UNC-W (as they should be), and I think that influences popular opinion.

Duke was clearly bigger and more athletic. There's a reason they were able to block shots cleanly and UNC-W couldn't do anything with Duke around the rim except foul.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My three questions for this morning:

1- Is Purdue really that bad, or did they just have a bad game of epic proportions?

2- How does a top Big 12 team get out-rebounded by Yale? Why was Baylor a 5 seed?

3- Someone explain to me why Wichita State was a play-in team? (See question #2)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
i thought UK was a 2. But over who? They have the best PG in the country and another guard who is averaging something like 23ppg in his last 12 games.

Baylor earned a 5 with a great season and has tremendous talent. But they play playground ball.

Wichita State being a play in is as ****ing stupid as Vanderbilt making the tournament and being able to play them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Shout out to me for taking Ariz out of my Sweet16 after realizing WichitaSt was in the play-in. I changed that thing about a minute before it would've been too late. ;)

ETA: Also, no team in the history of competition deserved to lose more than USC last night. They missed like 8 straight FT's which were the 1st of 1-and-1's, got bailed out twice on obvious fouls and had a player get fouled although he clearly lost his dribble out of bounds. What a choke job.

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First one interesting stat I saw this morning. The 6 teams that had to travel the farthest for their games yesterday all lost. (Something to keep an eye on today).

Second, USC - you never give an easy pass into the interior off the baseline. They were so concerned about Providence's top 2 players they allowed someone to slip right to the basket for an uncontested layup. Always make a team beat you with a jumper.

Third, at the 4 min TV TO I told my wife she could switch off the Purdue-ARK LR game if she wanted to- glad she said it was ok to leave it on. That was a 13 pt lead with 3:33 to go. If you play smart that should be almost impossible to cough up. During the next 2 min Purdue would miss 4 shots (3 in close) and have 3 TO allowing LR back into the game. Then LR simply made two huge long contested threes to get to overtime.

Baylor is always loaded with big, athletic players, but they tend to play very street ball, which comes back to bite you in March.

Miami better play better on Saturday or Wichita St will beat them. That team is so hard to score on. It's amazing how much they outrebound teams by given they are almost always giving up size. Marshall is who I was trumpeting when Hewitt was fired (actually, even before that i wrote a letter to DRad 2 yrs before Hewitt was fired saying it was time to move on and we should look at the coach who just left Winthrop). if Marshall is ever going to leave Wichita I could see it being this year, though if he doesn't that means he will either never leave or is going to wait for one of the top 5 blue bloods to open. Guy from Rock Hill SC - give him a chance to coach in the ACC.

The top 4 historic programs in the ACC are all going to need new coaches in the next couple of years (based on the age of their current coaches) - all of them would be idiots if their first call isn't to Marshall's agent. Screw what the retiring coach wants, screw getting a 'home' guy, go try to get the best.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Regretting only having Wichita State in the Sweet 16 right now. They've still already helped me in my upset pool. Huge swing and a miss on Chattanooga in that one though. Credit to Indiana for being locked in there.

I wish I saw what happened with Purdue. Sounds like a choke job in regulation of near epic proportions and the overtimes weren't all that impressive by either squad.

Agree with @RamblinRed re: Marshall. As I think about 'Cuse's eventual replacement, I think Marshall makes more than Boeheim right now. I'm sure he'd rather take one of the other 3 eventual openings anyway, but he'll be successful wherever he goes. The Shockers are beautiful to watch.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Purdue had dominated that game for most of the second half, and then went a combination of cold and stupid (a bad combination) at the wrong time. Allowed LR to get close by hitting FT's and getting easy shots.

That indiana-KY game on Saturday is going to be great. IND is playing great on offense - I thought Chatt might upset them but IND came ready to play. KY has played much better the last 3 weeks. One of 2 very large fanbases is going to be in a very surly mood Saturday night.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
My Shockers pick ain't looking too bad right now. I swung and miss badly on Chattanooga too. I always try to pick 1-2 12 seeds to win and it's always the 12 seeds I don't pick that pull it off.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Purdue game was crazy, Edwards had a great game but he made some really bad plays towards the end. Pulled the Statue of Liberty play in basketball and that's not good. Bad shots in OT.

Hagins hit a shot similar to Smiths against Houston but without the foul to force OT. It was pretty insane. UALR dared some guys to shoot and denied Hammons touches. Couldn't understand Swanigan sitting so much.