Louisville Postgame

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't accept the logic that we "held" their offense to 17. We won the time of possession game only because we kept giving them points without their offense having to set foot on the field. Given how UL carved up our defensive backfield the entire game, I do not have confidence that we would have prevented their offense from scoring more if they had the usual number of possessions. If you think about it, UL traded three of their potential possessions for 12 points.
We gave up 2.14 points per drive. That isn’t stellar, but it is definitely enough to win. By comparison we gave up 3 ppd and 3.88 ppd to FSU and Cuse respectively. I don’t think our defense is having a good year, but it was not the problem on Saturday.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
It's an average of the three position groups. F=0 points, D=1, C=2, B=3, A=4. If it makes you feel better, you can give them a D+ and the offense a B-. The DL and LB play was what I would consider average - maybe slightly above since they shut down Louisville's run game, but both were minimally effective in pass rush/coverage. The DBs were awful in everything they did though and earned an F.

Part of Louisville's offense being held to 17 points was because they scored twice on defense/special teams, putting their defense right back on the field. On offense they were averaging 14.2 yds/completion and a 68% completion percentage with zero threat of an interception. We forced punts on 2/7 drives (excluding the final drive of the game), and the safety was self-induced. They also had several big plays erased by silly penalties like the OL downfield on a big pass (as did we).

There is more to their performance than just the final score, and the offense's grade has nothing to do with the defense's grade.
17 points given up and you act like they completely wet the bed. You are expectations are a little high for what returned and lost from a defense that could have been one of the worst last year in all of college football. The wizzard oc is the one that cost Tech the game. You are giving the offense a better grade? Is this Buster or one of his relatives?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
17 points given up and you act like they completely wet the bed. You are expectations are a little high for what returned and lost from a defense that could have been one of the worst last year in all of college football. The wizzard oc is the one that cost Tech the game. You are giving the offense a better grade? Is this Buster or one of his relatives?
I already explained my grading system and explained the defenses' rating is not relative to the offense's rating, if you can't understand it that's on you because its as basic of math as it gets. If there is a position group you think I under/overrated, feel free to explain why. Several of you seem to only be able to look at total points scored for/against and think that is a perfect reflection of their performance without looking at any other factors.

Nothing about these ratings includes the coaches/play calling, it's about how the units performed individually with an averaged grade for each side of the ball.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
I already explained my grading system and explained the defenses' rating is not relative to the offense's rating, if you can't understand it that's on you because its as basic of math as it gets. If there is a position group you think I under/overrated, feel free to explain why. Several of you seem to only be able to look at total points scored for/against and think that is a perfect reflection of their performance without looking at any other factors.

Nothing about these ratings includes the coaches/play calling, it's about how the units performed individually with an averaged grade for each side of the ball.
You can't have one without the other. The effect on the game by the particular units are also intertwined. The calls from the sideline set everything up for the next play. Cherry picking is what I'm seeing.

slugboy

Staff member
On one hand, the defense gave up 17 points.

On the other hand, Louisville lost two offensive possessions from the fumble recovery touchdown and from the blocked kick. Maybe their offense scores 23 or more, if not for that.

Also, (from ESPN)

PassingC/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Tyler Shough#913/1926914.22080.2
Team13/1926914.220

RECYDSAVGTDLONG
Ja'Corey Brooks#1412531.3157
Chris Bell#028241.0145
Jamari Johnson#1122010.0011
Donald Chaney#2111717.0017
Mark Redman#8311212.0012
Ahmari Huggins-Bruce#24188.008
Isaac Brown#25133.003
Jadon Thompson#2122.002
TEAM1326920.7257

No sacks, no interceptions, 3 tackles for loss. One really good tackle for loss (safety).

THEY AVERAGED 20.7 YARDS PER PASS COMPLETION! Thankfully, they only completed 68% of their passes, so it was just 14.2 overall.

We are one of the worst pass defenses in FBS, statistically. Probably for real. We're good against the run, but any sensible coach will pass until we stop them.

Last edited:

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
On one hand, the defense gave up 17 points.

On the other hand, Louisville lost two offensive possessions from the fumble recovery touchdown and from the blocked kick. Maybe their offense scores 23 or more, if not for that.

Also, (from ESPN)

PassingC/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Tyler Shough#913/1926914.22080.2
Team13/1926914.220

RECYDSAVGTDLONG
Ja'Corey Brooks#1412531.3157
Chris Bell#028241.0145
Jamari Johnson#1122010.0011
Donald Chaney#2111717.0017
Mark Redman#8311212.0012
Ahmari Huggins-Bruce#24188.008
Isaac Brown#25133.003
Jadon Thompson#2122.002
TEAM1326920.7257

No sacks, no interceptions, 3 tackles for loss. One really good tackle for loss (safety).

THEY AVERAGED 20.7 YARDS PER PASS COMPLETION! Thankfully, they only completed 68% of their passes, so it was just 14.2 overall.

We are one of the worst pass defenses in FBS, statistically. Probably for real. We're good against the run, but any sensible coach will pass until we stop them.
You stated this much more clearly than I. I would also consider the stumble in the end zone (technically a tackle for loss, but not really) for a safety a lost offensive possession for UL. The bottom line is that we weren't really stopping them. I don't recall a single three and out for UL.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You can't have one without the other. The effect on the game by the particular units are also intertwined. The calls from the sideline set everything up for the next play. Cherry picking is what I'm seeing.
I'll say it again - feel free to tell us which individual unit you think performed better/worse than I rated them and why.

Right now you are just continuing to remind me of your incomprehension and why I put you on ignore in the first place.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Defense

Overall great effort against what had been a prolific UL ground game.

Two shallow crosses underneath, one for a long TD and another for a long gainer on a critical UL TD drive killed us. One shallow cross was covered but the ref got in the way of the defender. The other was undefended. We need to get this fixed ASAP.

Not as frustrated at the bomb TD that they threw where we interfered. We took away the run and they hit one over the top. It happens. DB was right to interfere, just needed to do it so WR doesn't catch ball.

Take away those 3 passes and the D played pretty well I thought.

Offense

IMO Syracuse had a good game plan against the run and UL copied some of the stunting Cuse did. That and UL being stout up front shut us down.

Need to work on third and 4th and short. UL showed they could bow up. Hats off to them, and to be able to do that is a big advantage.

That said, we couldn't or wouldn't come up with/execute winning plays that could get those short yards. Like bootleg action/short throw to flat with QB run pass option, pop-pass, play action pass, fade to Blackburn, quick toss run to get outside leverage.

We used Pyron once in short yardage. Maybe keep using Pyron in these situations until they stop it? After which surely there is a suite of plays where Pyron is the decoy, or goes play action?

In general needs to be fixed over the bye.

Obviously FG protection needs attention as that was a huge play. And King obviously tried to do too much deep in our own end. Didn't like our returner catching the punt that set up that field position.

All of this said...the good news is the same as the bad news: that was a very winnable game. Certainly felt more winnable than Syracuse, and more competitive than last year's UL game. We played pretty tough on the road.

While we need to get better, I think we are (maddeningly) close to being a pretty good football team. Option based offenses tend to get better later in the season with increased precision, so there's that. Defense showed it could take a step forward after Cuse. I like the bye week to get some things fixed and get refocused.

We are 3-2 with a lot of fun, challenging opponents to mix it up with. Still happy about our general direction, particularly as recruiting is going well. If we keep working hard and stick to our plan/our mindset, this could be a very fun season. Lots of ball to be played.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams is RT, Jordan Brown was LT for most of the game - looks like he graded out at 27.5 on PFF which is absolutely atrocious.

haha fair enough. I think it was mostly okay, though a lot of the 4th down calls were certainly not good.

If I were to give each position group letter grades again:

Offense - B overall
QB - B
WR - A
RB - C
OL - C

Defense - D overall
DL - C
LB - C
DB - F

Special Teams - C overall
FG unit - F
FG Block unit - A
PR unit - D
P unit - A
KO team - A
KOR team - B
Has McKenney gotten any play at tackle? He played a lot when our OL was playing well late last season, I was pretty mystified that he wasn’t a starter this year…

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams is RT, Jordan Brown was LT for most of the game - looks like he graded out at 27.5 on PFF which is absolutely atrocious.

haha fair enough. I think it was mostly okay, though a lot of the 4th down calls were certainly not good.

If I were to give each position group letter grades again:

Offense - B overall
QB - B
WR - A
RB - C
OL - C

Defense - D overall
DL - C
LB - C
DB - F

Special Teams - C overall
FG unit - F
FG Block unit - A
PR unit - D
P unit - A
KO team - A
KOR team - B
Not sure how you give the OL a C when every one of them graded either below average or well below average. By the way, the PFF grade for Brown matches the film. Anyone else see the play where he face plants himself in front of a defender who then goes untouched to make the tackle. How he remained in the game and continue to hurt our offense is another example of poor coaching on Saturday.

I also disagree with giving our DBs an F. Some players deserved poor grades, but the overall grade was not that bad. They were hurt by a complete lack of a pass rush.

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you give the OL a C when every one of them graded either below average or well below average. By the way, the PFF grade for Brown matches the film. Anyone else see the play where he face plants himself in front of a blocker who tgen goes untouched to make the tackle. How he remained in the game and continue to hurt our offense is another example of poor coaching on Saturday.

Yes, we definitely needed to try something different there.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
While we need to get better, I think we are (maddeningly) close to being a pretty good football team. Option based offenses tend to get better later in the season with increased precision, so there's that. Defense showed it could take a step forward after Cuse. I like the bye week to get some things fixed and get refocused.
As we used to say, "When the leaves turn, so does the offense." I think this is particularly correct for Tech. While I think King is a great QB, he is not a natural at reading Ds for option plays. By the end of the season last year, he was doing just fine, however. We may just have to wait a bit. Like, I hope, a week.

Btw, anyone interested in option football should take a look at Army and Navy this year. The mix of spread option and wing T football both teams run is very interesting. Muy productive as well.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how you give the OL a C when every one of them graded either below average or well below average. By the way, the PFF grade for Brown matches the film. Anyone else see the play where he face plants himself in front of a defender who then goes untouched to make the tackle. How he remained in the game and continue to hurt our offense is another example of poor coaching on Saturday.

I also disagree with giving our DBs an F. Some players deserved poor grades, but the overall grade was not that bad. They were hurt by a complete lack of a pass rush.
My issue with DB is how often they are chasing the play and not able to turn on the ball. That’s a PI waiting to happen and missed chances for an INT. It’s not like they’re playing press coverage and are getting torched.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My issue with DB is how often they are chasing the play and not able to turn on the ball. That’s a PI waiting to happen and missed chances for an INT. It’s not like they’re playing press coverage and are getting torched.
I do not disagree. There are a couple of main culprits who seem to get torched a lot. Having said that, CPL and Burrell graded at well above average and above average and they played 33 and 42 snaps.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
They were hurt by a complete lack of a pass rush.
This speaks to a shortcoming of giving individual position grades.
Few DBs can cover when the QB has all day. Also, without looking at the all-22, sometimes it can be hard to tell whether or not a DB (or LB) was truly out of position to make the play due to bad technique and/or decisions, or due to a bad defensive play call.
Same issue on offense. How many of our failures in our run game were on the RBs vs the OL? Sometimes it’s both. How many incomplete passes were due to bad throws, or WR running the route poorly?
Are all these factors included in the position grades?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This speaks to a shortcoming of giving individual position grades.
Few DBs can cover when the QB has all day. Also, without looking at the all-22, sometimes it can be hard to tell whether or not a DB (or LB) was truly out of position to make the play due to bad technique and/or decisions, or due to a bad defensive play call.
Same issue on offense. How many of our failures in our run game were on the RBs vs the OL? Sometimes it’s both. How many incomplete passes were due to bad throws, or WR running the route poorly?
Are all these factors included in the position grades?
I believe OL grades are pretty straight forward. For run plays, there are how long, if at all in Brown's case, they hold the block and whether they won/lost their blocking assignment. For pass plays, they are graded on whether their defender pressured, hit or sacked the QB within a specified time period

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Defense

Overall great effort against what had been a prolific UL ground game.

Two shallow crosses underneath, one for a long TD and another for a long gainer on a critical UL TD drive killed us. One shallow cross was covered but the ref got in the way of the defender. The other was undefended. We need to get this fixed ASAP.

Not as frustrated at the bomb TD that they threw where we interfered. We took away the run and they hit one over the top. It happens. DB was right to interfere, just needed to do it so WR doesn't catch ball.

Take away those 3 passes and the D played pretty well I thought.

Offense

IMO Syracuse had a good game plan against the run and UL copied some of the stunting Cuse did. That and UL being stout up front shut us down.

Need to work on third and 4th and short. UL showed they could bow up. Hats off to them, and to be able to do that is a big advantage.

That said, we couldn't or wouldn't come up with/execute winning plays that could get those short yards. Like bootleg action/short throw to flat with QB run pass option, pop-pass, play action pass, fade to Blackburn, quick toss run to get outside leverage.

We used Pyron once in short yardage. Maybe keep using Pyron in these situations until they stop it? After which surely there is a suite of plays where Pyron is the decoy, or goes play action?

In general needs to be fixed over the bye.

Obviously FG protection needs attention as that was a huge play. And King obviously tried to do too much deep in our own end. Didn't like our returner catching the punt that set up that field position.

All of this said...the good news is the same as the bad news: that was a very winnable game. Certainly felt more winnable than Syracuse, and more competitive than last year's UL game. We played pretty tough on the road.

We are 3-2 with a lot of fun, challenging opponents to mix it up with. Still happy about our general direction, particularly as recruiting is going well. If we keep working hard and stick to our plan/our mindset, this could be a very fun season. Lots of ball to be played.
Thanks for the review.
I wonder if we are slow to recognize the situational changes and i am concerned about who gets the ball in key situations.
In louisville the fg block scoop score was a big change with 7 plus minutes to go. Suddenly, we have to get 2 tds and stop them from scoring or burning clock. THE CLOCK IS OUR ENEMY.

Sure we came out w well scripted 2 minute offense with 100% passing drive. We several short outs routes and one seam route to tight end. In a minute and 45 we are at the 30. Quick snap and another 7 yd gain to 24 on a flat pass and we have 5 minutes to go. The clock is really our enemy.
I am thinking we take a shot at endzone to score. If incomplete we rush in bring taller wr or an ex wr haynes or boyd take shots. Worst case we have king run.

WHY At this point in the game does Key allow the ball to be taken out the QB whom he has said is" the best qb in the conference".

2 dive plays get 3 yds.

The time out was called by UL.

Everyone on both sides bunch in for the titanic struggle - our ol verses there dl. Stupid me i thinking King to Singleton in back of endzone on crossing route. Hey, i thought we wanted to win. But no, the situation is really a chest bumping time. UL coach knew he would run and he and his players stuffed Key and his players.

But the real situation is Key didn't trust King and Singleton in a desperate situation in which they could have greatly improved thier national recognition. Both walked off looking dejected.

Key + King will bounce back and if we open up offense the ol will get going.

But it will take a while for me to trust Key in unscripted situations.