Louisville Postgame

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
TFP was totally delusional that regular players will perform at elite level by eating ice cream at practice.

Key said he is going to fix the problem in bye week. We will see if against Duke and UNC "can ol dominate. Will that mean we can hang with nd, mia, uga.

Key needs to fix his system that allowed the bully boys to play soft or get out schemed.
I'm really glad we have the bye next week, this team needs it.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the team looks after the bye. I'm expecting something closer to the FSU game.
We also finally have an advantage where we will be coming off some rest and Duke is going to be coming off a big game for them against UNC.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm really glad we have the bye next week, this team needs it.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the team looks after the bye. I'm expecting something closer to the FSU game.
We also finally have an advantage where we will be coming off some rest and Duke is going to be coming off a big game for them against UNC.
I also think Haynes King needs some rehab, his body language to me seems like he's dinged-up a bit.

These next two games are winnable and IMO, must wins for our program taking the next step this season ...

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
So the OL very clearly told our coaches all game long who they were. At what point is it the job of the coach to call something different. If I repeatedly show you I am physically incapable of doing something the way you want me to do it and you still need to get the job done then when is it your responsibility to have me try something else to accomplish the task? Considering that maybe later you can fire me or train me better to do the job the way you want it done. But for right now I have the limitations and am stuck that way and you still need to get the job done.

Yes I am culpable for not being able to get it done that way. Yes I bear responsibility for it. But sometimes the leader has to take responsibility for not recognizing it and trying to change things up.
I admitted in an earlier response that trying something different might have been warranted but the edge and outside didn't seem to be working either. If the OL was pushing people around from the get-go maybe the psyche of the whole team would have been different and Buster wouldn't have needed to find that "something else".

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to wait until I had watched the game to comment in this thread, so apologies if some/all of this has already been covered.

1st Quarter: Score ended even, but we looked like the slightly better team imo. Other than the boneheaded backwards pass that they scored on, King played great. OL looked slightly worse than against Cuse, but I didn't watch them specifically - left side of line definitely looks the weakest though. The ref confusion on the first penalties was absurd, how do they not have a better understanding of what they are calling than that? Run D looked ok, we got a little bit of pressure on Shough but the secondary mostly failed to cover again. I'm concerned about Birr, he is missing a lot of field goals this season. Shelley has also got to have better awareness on punt returns - he's fielded several punts this year he should have fair caught or let go.

2nd Q: There was a Louisville run at the 13min mark where we stopped the RB in the backfield but he was on top of a Tech player, and it looked to me like the Tech player had stripped the ball - by the time the ref blew the play dead, the Tech player had full control of the ball. There was no mention by the announcers or review, and maybe the Louisville RB's knee had touched but I watched it back several times and didn't see it. Efford got picked on in the passing game several times. DBs continue to dissapoint, absolutely terrible tackling and awareness. We got beat again on 4th and 1 on the same pass to the RB that Cuse ran, somebody should be covering the RB in those situations. Amazing catch by Singleton there at the end of the 1st half, Louisville should have been flagged too for pulling his helmet off. King throwing the ball away on 3rd was dumb imo, glad we were able to score on 4th.

3rd Q: Right off the bat, a DB blows past Shough chasing rb on what should have been a nice sack and Louisville picks up 3 or 4 yds instead. OPEN YOUR EYES! Looked like OPI at 13:27, but we got away with DPI the next play. Refs shorted us on spots multiple times. Taking the delay of game was dumb, needed more just to tie it up. The 1st DPI near end of the 3rd was kinda BS, don't think it was catchable and there was minimal contact imo. The next DPI was legit and shocker, the DB had no idea where the ball was and let him catch it anyway.

4Q: We had to score when we got inside the 5 - imo should have brought in Pyron and then thrown a quick swing pass to Jamal like they did to us on the 4th and 1. If it was 1 yard King could have gotten it, but he's definitely not a bruiser running the ball. The safety was nice, but obviously 7 points would have been better. The OL was getting their butts kicked on run plays - 71 appears the weakest of the group, on both run and pass plays. The blocked FG attempt was the final nail in the coffin, Birr had no chance to get that high enough. The final 4th down call was bad, we really need more creativity

Overall, I thought play calling was okay, but plenty of room to improve. King played pretty dang well minus the backwards pass and a few throws way out of bounds. WR groups played really well. OL group played about how they played against Cuse except a little worse on run plays. RBs were mediocre - I used to think we needed a big bruiser, then earlier this year I said with our OL that Jamal was plenty, well now I'm flipping back that we need a back who can get hit in the backfield and pickup positive yardage like Mason did for us. Haynes got stopped by just a handful of jersey atleast once or twice this game, can't have that. On defense, we have GOT to get better in the secondary. All 17 points Louisville scored on offense and damn near every 1st down was picked up against them. They tackle poorly, they don't seem to ever know where the ball is, they got penalized multiple times to extend Louisville's drives. Thoroughly unimpressed with Cory Peoples so far, I haven't seen anything that would make him worth retaining.

We have a lot to clean up, but we can still be a pretty good team and potentially upset ND, Miami, or ugag. Duke, UNC, VT, and NC State are all winnable if we just don't beat ourselves.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Things are never as good or as bad as they seem ... CPJ

Trust that key will make the right adjustments during the bye.

I think one thing is clear, we still have a ways to go to correct the rottenness from TFG. We are on the right path, either way . Both coaches and players have a lot to improve on
Speaking of CPJ, I wonder if he could come in and spend a couple weeks teaching this OL how to drive block.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wanted to wait until I had watched the game to comment in this thread, so apologies if some/all of this has already been covered.

1st Quarter: Score ended even, but we looked like the slightly better team imo. Other than the boneheaded backwards pass that they scored on, King played great. OL looked slightly worse than against Cuse, but I didn't watch them specifically - left side of line definitely looks the weakest though. The ref confusion on the first penalties was absurd, how do they not have a better understanding of what they are calling than that? Run D looked ok, we got a little bit of pressure on Shough but the secondary mostly failed to cover again. I'm concerned about Birr, he is missing a lot of field goals this season. Shelley has also got to have better awareness on punt returns - he's fielded several punts this year he should have fair caught or let go.

2nd Q: There was a Louisville run at the 13min mark where we stopped the RB in the backfield but he was on top of a Tech player, and it looked to me like the Tech player had stripped the ball - by the time the ref blew the play dead, the Tech player had full control of the ball. There was no mention by the announcers or review, and maybe the Louisville RB's knee had touched but I watched it back several times and didn't see it. Efford got picked on in the passing game several times. DBs continue to dissapoint, absolutely terrible tackling and awareness. We got beat again on 4th and 1 on the same pass to the RB that Cuse ran, somebody should be covering the RB in those situations. Amazing catch by Singleton there at the end of the 1st half, Louisville should have been flagged too for pulling his helmet off. King throwing the ball away on 3rd was dumb imo, glad we were able to score on 4th.

3rd Q: Right off the bat, a DB blows past Shough chasing rb on what should have been a nice sack and Louisville picks up 3 or 4 yds instead. OPEN YOUR EYES! Looked like OPI at 13:27, but we got away with DPI the next play. Refs shorted us on spots multiple times. Taking the delay of game was dumb, needed more just to tie it up. The 1st DPI near end of the 3rd was kinda BS, don't think it was catchable and there was minimal contact imo. The next DPI was legit and shocker, the DB had no idea where the ball was and let him catch it anyway.

4Q: We had to score when we got inside the 5 - imo should have brought in Pyron and then thrown a quick swing pass to Jamal like they did to us on the 4th and 1. If it was 1 yard King could have gotten it, but he's definitely not a bruiser running the ball. The safety was nice, but obviously 7 points would have been better. The OL was getting their butts kicked on run plays - 71 appears the weakest of the group, on both run and pass plays. The blocked FG attempt was the final nail in the coffin, Birr had no chance to get that high enough. The final 4th down call was bad, we really need more creativity

Overall, I thought play calling was okay, but plenty of room to improve. King played pretty dang well minus the backwards pass and a few throws way out of bounds. WR groups played really well. OL group played about how they played against Cuse except a little worse on run plays. RBs were mediocre - I used to think we needed a big bruiser, then earlier this year I said with our OL that Jamal was plenty, well now I'm flipping back that we need a back who can get hit in the backfield and pickup positive yardage like Mason did for us. Haynes got stopped by just a handful of jersey atleast once or twice this game, can't have that. On defense, we have GOT to get better in the secondary. All 17 points Louisville scored on offense and damn near every 1st down was picked up against them. They tackle poorly, they don't seem to ever know where the ball is, they got penalized multiple times to extend Louisville's drives. Thoroughly unimpressed with Cory Peoples so far, I haven't seen anything that would make him worth retaining.

We have a lot to clean up, but we can still be a pretty good team and potentially upset ND, Miami, or ugag. Duke, UNC, VT, and NC State are all winnable if we just don't beat ourselves.
Somebody closer to the team may know better but it seems like we are beat up at RB. Haynes hasn't really looked right since the Ga St game. Alexander got hurt, Cooley is out.
The FR Maddox and Carrie have both shown flashes - I think they could be really good in another yr. They are a little bigger than most of our current RB's.

I agree that the secondary was not good Saturday, but they are not being helped out by the DL at all. Just no pressure on the QB, nothing to make the QB uncomfortable. It feels like the biggest outcome of the portal last year was the loss of Kennard. He has 8.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks in 4 games at South Carolina. He will make the boneheaded play on occassion, but he would easily be our best DL if he was still here. It also feels like we are tipping our blitzes too soon. You can often see where they are coming from before the snap giving the offense time to adjust.

Good overview of the game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Somebody closer to the team may know better but it seems like we are beat up at RB. Haynes hasn't really looked right since the Ga St game. Alexander got hurt, Cooley is out.
The FR Maddox and Carrie have both shown flashes - I think they could be really good in another yr. They are a little bigger than most of our current RB's.

I agree that the secondary was not good Saturday, but they are not being helped out by the DL at all. Just no pressure on the QB, nothing to make the QB uncomfortable. It feels like the biggest outcome of the portal last year was the loss of Kennard. He has 8.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks in 4 games at South Carolina. He will make the boneheaded play on occassion, but he would easily be our best DL if he was still here. It also feels like we are tipping our blitzes too soon. You can often see where they are coming from before the snap giving the offense time to adjust.

The dl and lb have been good at run stop.

However, the lbs can't even get near preventing pass. completions to TE or RB .

Is it possible to add a safety / db and drop a lb? 4-1-6. How bout 1 deep 15 yd off los and rest within 7 yds all stunting to camouflage how confused we are. ?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Do you or anyone else know what is going on with our RB situation? We were glad to see Alexander back in the VMI game. Carrie played against VMI as well. Neither participated in the Louisville game.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Do you or anyone else know what is going on with our RB situation? We were glad to see Alexander back in the VMI game. Carrie played against VMI as well. Neither participated in the Louisville game.
A little depleted. Dickens left. Felix left. Cooley out. Feels like Jamal is playing thru something imo.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of CPJ, I wonder if he could come in and spend a couple weeks teaching this OL how to drive block.
Somebody needs to. Those big ole boys cannot do it. Back in the dark ages we were taught to get low and crab crawl.

Speaking of which, can Jamaal or Erich or somebody high jump over the line? I recall Herschel going over the line and landing 3 yards in the EZ.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
SI Article below showing ESPN's FPI projection for rest of the Georgia Tech season. They project GT to beat Duke (72.4%), UNC (60.2%), VT (52%), and NCS 78 %). VT is obviously a tossup based on their Projection.

Based on their numbers we would finish 6-6 or 7-5 depending on the VT result.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
For College Football O line grades in the 50s are considered BELOW AVERAGE. Only Franklin was above 60 and he graded at 62. The OL was the major issue yesterday!

Since my first post was for the offense only, I have added the grades for the defense based on the linked SI article by Jackson Caudell. Some of these look pretty low, but 2 or 3 of the Defensive backs were in the 40's. I agree with others that they received little assistance from the defensive line!

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Our DB’s are noticeably worse at defending the deep ball and looking for the ball than I ever remember seeing in my many years of watching Tech, Cory Peebles may need to just head on out now and let somebody else take over. Zero interceptions in 5 games and I don’t recall even any attempts at an INT by our DB’s thus-far- that is disturbing.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

I think that's not a pretty reasonable assessment and agree about Kennard. I know the secondary doesn't have a good pass rush to help them out, but the issues I'm most concerned with wouldn't be affected by that. Whiffing on tackles/making no attempt to wrap up and having no idea where the ball is isn't due to a lack of pass rush. At this point I'd be surprised if we end the season with more than 2 INT - Efford is the only one to get one and it got wiped out by a penalty, and we've had DBs get hit in the face with bad passes. Seems like "Head on a swivel" is being coaches anymore, at least with that group.