Louisville Postgame

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I know Collins is referred to as TFG. Who is TFP? I took a leave of absence from this board during Scooter's years.

Jolly Good Fellow
I wanted to wait until I had watched the game to comment in this thread, so apologies if some/all of this has already been covered.

1st Quarter: Score ended even, but we looked like the slightly better team imo. Other than the boneheaded backwards pass that they scored on, King played great. OL looked slightly worse than against Cuse, but I didn't watch them specifically - left side of line definitely looks the weakest though. The ref confusion on the first penalties was absurd, how do they not have a better understanding of what they are calling than that? Run D looked ok, we got a little bit of pressure on Shough but the secondary mostly failed to cover again. I'm concerned about Birr, he is missing a lot of field goals this season. Shelley has also got to have better awareness on punt returns - he's fielded several punts this year he should have fair caught or let go.

2nd Q: There was a Louisville run at the 13min mark where we stopped the RB in the backfield but he was on top of a Tech player, and it looked to me like the Tech player had stripped the ball - by the time the ref blew the play dead, the Tech player had full control of the ball. There was no mention by the announcers or review, and maybe the Louisville RB's knee had touched but I watched it back several times and didn't see it. Efford got picked on in the passing game several times. DBs continue to dissapoint, absolutely terrible tackling and awareness. We got beat again on 4th and 1 on the same pass to the RB that Cuse ran, somebody should be covering the RB in those situations. Amazing catch by Singleton there at the end of the 1st half, Louisville should have been flagged too for pulling his helmet off. King throwing the ball away on 3rd was dumb imo, glad we were able to score on 4th.

3rd Q: Right off the bat, a DB blows past Shough chasing rb on what should have been a nice sack and Louisville picks up 3 or 4 yds instead. OPEN YOUR EYES! Looked like OPI at 13:27, but we got away with DPI the next play. Refs shorted us on spots multiple times. Taking the delay of game was dumb, needed more just to tie it up. The 1st DPI near end of the 3rd was kinda BS, don't think it was catchable and there was minimal contact imo. The next DPI was legit and shocker, the DB had no idea where the ball was and let him catch it anyway.

4Q: We had to score when we got inside the 5 - imo should have brought in Pyron and then thrown a quick swing pass to Jamal like they did to us on the 4th and 1. If it was 1 yard King could have gotten it, but he's definitely not a bruiser running the ball. The safety was nice, but obviously 7 points would have been better. The OL was getting their butts kicked on run plays - 71 appears the weakest of the group, on both run and pass plays. The blocked FG attempt was the final nail in the coffin, Birr had no chance to get that high enough. The final 4th down call was bad, we really need more creativity

Overall, I thought play calling was okay, but plenty of room to improve. King played pretty dang well minus the backwards pass and a few throws way out of bounds. WR groups played really well. OL group played about how they played against Cuse except a little worse on run plays. RBs were mediocre - I used to think we needed a big bruiser, then earlier this year I said with our OL that Jamal was plenty, well now I'm flipping back that we need a back who can get hit in the backfield and pickup positive yardage like Mason did for us. Haynes got stopped by just a handful of jersey atleast once or twice this game, can't have that. On defense, we have GOT to get better in the secondary. All 17 points Louisville scored on offense and damn near every 1st down was picked up against them. They tackle poorly, they don't seem to ever know where the ball is, they got penalized multiple times to extend Louisville's drives. Thoroughly unimpressed with Cory Peoples so far, I haven't seen anything that would make him worth retaining.

We have a lot to clean up, but we can still be a pretty good team and potentially upset ND, Miami, or ugag. Duke, UNC, VT, and NC State are all winnable if we just don't beat ourselves.
"... left side of line definitely looks the weakest ...." LT Jordan Williams got killed Sat....
"... DBs continue to dissapoint, absolutely terrible tackling...." DB's were projected to be our strong defensive unit...they can't cover...won't tackle....very, very disappointed.
"Taking the delay of game was dumb..." Key has serious clock management problems.... I mean, galactic clock management issues....
"...should have brought in Pyron..." I love HK but Pyron inside the 10 opens up many more "options" (no pun intended)..... Tim Tebow jump pass to TE is one...
"Overall, I thought play calling was okay..." please do not operate heavy machinery until you have sobered up....

alagold

Helluva Engineer
A problem no one addresses is that millionaire coaches are slow to change because of the ”fraternity” mindset. Remember, in the back of their mind they are always thinking about their next job interview unless they are confident in their own skin and have the star power to do whatever they want, ala Saban, Spurrier types. Johnson could have had a great ending to his career if he simply tweaked his system but he was stubborn. The tush push is EASILY incorporated to any system. For GT, if you don’t want to burden King then simply use Pyron and put 2 backup TE’s as dual halfbacks. Heck, bring in a different Center i you are worried about practice reps. You can simply have a center, a QB, and 2 big boys as a special teams unit for that play like we have a long snapper and punter special team. What Philly has proven is that coaches are stupid. Pyron and Hurts are the same size although Pyron has a couple inches on him. The key to the tush push is the push. We did it several times in a different version in the UCF game where the OLine pushed Jamal over the first down line. I’d much rather take my chances on 4th and 6 inches with Pyron and 2 hosses pushing him than seeing King in the shotgun flanked by Jamal.
Oddly Jamal was REAL tough on short yardage last yr.I remember him carrying TWO guys into EZ from 2 in one game.he's got to be hurt.
There are BUNCH of options with Pyron out of power group set up beside a straight crunch also.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Oddly Jamal was REAL tough on short yardage last yr.I remember him carrying TWO guys into EZ from 2 in one game.he's got to be hurt.
There are BUNCH of options with Pyron out of power group set up beside a straight crunch also.

He look slike he's dealing with something in his abs. Might be a strain or a even a mild tear.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but I thought Alexander and Carrie were healthy in the VMI game. If they are dinged up too, we definitely need the bye week.
Key says you earn way in practice to play on to the field.

Last 5 games have 0 cup cakes and 3 tough teams.

Next 2 teams are our best chance to find out about back ups.in more than kick offs, extra points.

We are in need of a Dontae like RB " first down first" and then make move.

I think we see some back ups Real PT

alagold

Helluva Engineer
SI Article below showing ESPN's FPI projection for rest of the Georgia Tech season. They project GT to beat Duke (72.4%), UNC (60.2%), VT (52%), and NCS 78 %). VT is obviously a tossup based on their Projection.

Based on their numbers we would finish 6-6 or 7-5 depending on the VT result.

the NCst odds are ridiculous. . I saw them .Not that good but at home with an offense (remember our def) ,they could just outscore us.At this point ,more of a tossup.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
"... left side of line definitely looks the weakest ...." LT Jordan Williams got killed Sat....
Jordan Williams is RT, Jordan Brown was LT for most of the game - looks like he graded out at 27.5 on PFF which is absolutely atrocious.

"Overall, I thought play calling was okay..." please do not operate heavy machinery until you have sobered up....
haha fair enough. I think it was mostly okay, though a lot of the 4th down calls were certainly not good.

If I were to give each position group letter grades again:

Offense - B overall
QB - B
WR - A
RB - C
OL - C

Defense - D overall
DL - C
LB - C
DB - F

Special Teams - C overall
FG unit - F
FG Block unit - A
PR unit - D
P unit - A
KO team - A
KOR team - B

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
"Taking the delay of game was dumb..." Key has serious clock management problems.... I mean, galactic clock management issues....
Many of the criticisms are warranted, but not this one. Key was asked about this in his post-game presser – he explained that it was done to get Birr a better angle for his field goal try (which he made). We were on the 4-yard line. And taking the points at this juncture also makes sense to me.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Williams is RT, Jordan Brown was LT for most of the game - looks like he graded out at 27.5 on PFF which is absolutely atrocious.

haha fair enough. I think it was mostly okay, though a lot of the 4th down calls were certainly not good.

If I were to give each position group letter grades again:

Offense - B overall
QB - B
WR - A
RB - C
OL - C

Defense - D overall
DL - C
LB - C
DB - F

Special Teams - C overall
FG unit - F
FG Block unit - A
PR unit - D
P unit - A
KO team - A
KOR team - B
How in the world can you give a D to our overall defense for holding L'ville to 17 points is beyond me.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
How in the world can you give a D to our overall defense for holding L'ville to 17 points is beyond me.
Agreed. Grading fail - especially if you give our offense a "B" for scoring 17.

I don't understand the disdain by some fans for our defense in this game. Yes, individual position groups showed weaknesses and execution failures, but to use one of King's favorite phrases, at the end of the day, holding Louisville's offense to 17 points is enough to win most games.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Grading fail - especially if you give our offense a "B" for scoring 17.

I don't understand the disdain by some fans for our defense in this game. Yes, individual position groups showed weaknesses and execution failures, but to use one of King's favorite phrases, at the end of the day, holding Louisville's offense to 17 points is enough to win most games.
The D last week was up and down but ultimately got the job done. The O was largely OK, but didn’t. Result: 31-19 loss. This one is on the O, IMPO.