Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
More than that, they entered this game 14th out of 15 ACC teams in 3rd down conversion rate at 34% and they got 53% against us (even with the late stops). Our interior D line and our LB play did not impress, and the secondary left many guys wide open. Thank goodness they produced the TO's...that was a saving grace! (And they DID manufacture them, those weren't poor choices by L'ville, we stripped the ball out.)

Without the +3 TO differential, they would have clearly scored mid 30's against us. And that from a team whose offense is fair at best. If the middling' teams in the league can score mid 30's against our D without those TO problems, it put enormous pressure on our young QB to score on every possession.

If we can't find some answers on D, we are likely to lose the next 5 games (Clemson, @BC, Notre Dame, Pitt, @Miami), leaving us with two reasonable chances for wins at the end of the season (vs Duke and N C State) in our quest to improve on 3-8.

I surely hope I am wrong and this team makes me eat my words.
They may very well be bad, but isn’t it a little early to use stats to say their offense is bad?
Pitt is giving up 15 PPG, Miami is giving up 17. Good enough for 4th and 5th in the ACC so far. For reference we are 10th at 31.5 ppg. What would Louisville’s offense look like if you replaced Pitt with NC State or Duke or wake?
I’m not saying we are good, but I think it’s possible that stats are skewed this early. It’s possible we aren’t very good and they are still decent on O

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

But the worst part of the game by far was the 15 minute shat show of Allison on her 1998 cell phone blathering on and on for 2 entire series. The women didn’t take a breath and nothing she said made any sense. Im pretty even keeled bit that was finger nails on a chalk board.

this was totally inexcusable by espn. they completely ignored our game to broadcast her worthless blather.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They may very well be bad, but isn’t it a little early to use stats to say their offense is bad?
Pitt is giving up 15 PPG, Miami is giving up 17. Good enough for 4th and 5th in the ACC so far. For reference we are 10th at 31.5 ppg. What would Louisville’s offense look like if you replaced Pitt with NC State or Duke or wake?
I’m not saying we are good, but I think it’s possible that stats are skewed this early. It’s possible we aren’t very good and they are still decent on O
I sincerely hope you are correct.

It is also true that my comment assumed a straight line projection fo last night's result into future games, and college football really doesn't work that way. It is often about matchups and coaching schemes and the emotions of the moment, so I am sincerely hoping we play better on D and steal one or two wins out of the next 5 games, and then close strongly!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Louisville is a right handed offense, which our staff seemed to be slow to recognize. When they needed yards in the first half, they went right. They did a good job sealing the edge on run plays and the QB had decent accuracy to the right (he is right handed). I only remember one good pass by him to the left in the first half. I was frustrated.

But, while it took until halftime, the defense cleaned that up. I will watch the game again to see what adjustments were made at halftime on D.

Louisville's D was gassed at the end of the game, missing tackles they made earlier. They looked like us against Syracuse in the fourth quarter.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

bwelbo...****ING OUT!

The Ville led in total yards, time of possession, first downs, everything but the score. Turnovers negate everything. I can't say enough about a defense holding a team as explosive as the Cardinals to SIX second half points. Remarkable. Our team deserved to win and just out played them. A turning point, perhaps even a defining point in this season and beyond. Braves fans of yore used to chant " Spahn and Sain and pray for rain." Met fans would say back in the seventies: "Seaver and Koos and pass the booze" Now Tech fans might want to have their own ditty: "Sims and Gibbs and ... TBD"

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

No, they are not that good but the smile on that picture says it all JUST WIN, BABY I don't care if its Louisville or Notre Dame this team and this program had to have a win and we got it. Now, let's savor it and go play some ball with the big boys.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There are some obvious differences but this game felt a little like the Pitt game in 2014.

That year we started out 5-0 and had reasons to be happy, but there were some obvious signs of issues (the near/should loss to GSU, some lackluster issues performances even in the wins). We then lost to Duke in a game that was 31-12 until deep in the 4th where some window dressing made it look closer and followed that up with a loss to a, then, 2-4 UNC team. The record was okay but there were big reasons to be concerned. We then went to Pitt and won big off the back of 6 turnovers. That game proved to be a spark for the team and it led to back to back blowouts against UVA and NCSU followed by a convincing win over a ranked Clemson team, with help from an injured Watson, and a win against top 10 UGA.

This year we started with a win against FSU with reasons to be happy, but some obvious signs of issues (notably turnovers and penalties). Back to back bad games and the record was okay (1-2 at that point wasn't unexpected pre-season) but there were big reasons to be concerned. We then faced UL and won big off the back of turnovers. Whether the rest of the season plays out in a similar manner remains to be seen but this game really seems to reinforce the idea that our offense all year has been close to being good in every game if it could just limit turnovers and penalties.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There was something amiss with Looie last night. It’s like they thought they’d just stroll in here and kick our ***. When we scored that TD going into the half and then stopped them from getting points, the momentum completely swung our way.

They seemed to play very conservative D. Seemed their philosophy was “eventually Sims will screw up”. No pressure just waiting on Sims to throw an INT. Well that backfired big time.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
We give ourselves a chance to win when we don't turn the ball over. We did not give ourselves a chance to win against UCF and SU. We protected the ball against UL and was able to win the game. We have been moving the ball offensively all season but shooting ourselves in the foot. I was really impressed with our entire offense. Great game by the oline. We did not allow a sack and just 2 TFL. Defensively we need to learn containment when you have a qb the can scramble. You want to keep him in the pocket. Too many times our DE's crashed inside and Cunningham was able to get the edge and run for first downs. I think the defense will improve now that we are getting major players back. Swilling played limited snaps but his snap count will continue to grow as he works himself back into shape which is great for our backend. He is clearly our best db. Having Ryans back and Clayton rounding into form will help moving forward. Last night was a good team win against a team that recruits GA pretty hard.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
At the game last night, on the screen play to Gibbs, he started off near the East stands, cut back and ran all the way across the field and down the field towards the West stands, and outran at least 3 or 4 defenders who had angles on him.

He is hard to bring down in open spaces, and he seems to shift into a higher gear if he gets past the first wave of defenders.

Enjoy him while he’s here, barring injury he will likely play only 3 seasons at the Flats.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think that ref thought the runner stepped out

It's really the only possibility. The ball went through the EZ, so either he stepped out, he broke the plane, or he fumbled for a touchback. The flag doesn't stop you from having to call one of those 3 things. He called the play dead short of the goal. Obviously there was no forward progress stopped or runner down possibility, so that means he thought he stepped out. He didn't as per the replay, but the foot was razor close to the chalk so it's not an unreasonable call in full speed. He's the only guy to make the call, needing to observe both the goal and the sideline at the same time. Not easy. Wish we had an overhead camera for plays like this and some technology to correct for perspective distortion and time link with different cameras frame by frame so we could combine events visible in one view but not another and know exactly when one happens relative to each other.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's really the only possibility. The ball went through the EZ, so either he stepped out, he broke the plane, or he fumbled for a touchback. The flag doesn't stop you from having to call one of those 3 things. He called the play dead short of the goal. Obviously there was no forward progress stopped or runner down possibility, so that means he thought he stepped out. He didn't as per the replay, but the foot was razor close to the chalk so it's not an unreasonable call in full speed. He's the only guy to make the call, needing to observe both the goal and the sideline at the same time. Not easy. Wish we had an overhead camera for plays like this and some technology to correct for perspective distortion and time link with different cameras frame by frame so we could combine events visible in one view but not another and know exactly when one happens relative to each other.
Totally agree. Good breakdown. I do have one question... does he have to signal TD if he thought that's what he saw (inbounds & breaking plane w possession) ...knowing he flagged the hold? Seems refs do not signal TD in end zone when receiver catches a ball after an offensive pass interference.

Well, all I can say is that was a game that looked like we were ready to play. We got behind and the coaches adjusted. No turnovers and they had 3. And their 3 we forced. We ran the ball when needed and Dontae Smith is picking up where we miss Mason. Gibbs is a dangerous weapon. The defense came in and shut it down in the second half. The only bad part as usual is kicking for extra points. That block looked like the line fell down. It was strange.

If we play like that we can give Clemson a game. Win....uh maybe no but last night made me think we have a shot to win a few more.

Oh and if you think that it was because Louisville is not good, they have talent and coaching, we beat a decent team last night.