Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
This is what happened. He spotted the ball at the point where it appeared he stepped out (which after replay it was clear he did not). The odd thing to me is that there was clear and definitive proof that he was not down short of the endzone but it was impossible to determine with the camera angles on if the ball crossed the plane of the endzone before he fumbled. So basically they can prove the call on the field was wrong but can't determine what the right call would be.
The replay shown in the stadium was clearly a touchback. Don't know what might have been shown on TV

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I can’t believe Louisville punted in the 4th. I turned to my dad and told him the game was over. I don’t know what the “right” call is when you’re down and 5 minutes left, but I was certain we were winning the game once gave it back to us.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
It appears to me we are paying a price defensively for lack of speed, that is going to take a little longer to overcome IMO. Have a strong feeling CGC and company are not able to do what CGC likes to do defensively and has done in the past. I like where we are headed and it gives me patience while waiting. CGC has a history of having damn good defenses.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'd be really curious to see what adjustments we made defensively at halftime.

Anybody know a defensive expert 'round these parts? Lookin at you, @Ibeeballin

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This game is why I’m on board with giving Collins multiple seasons to recruit before passing negative comments. Right now today, with 1 full class he recruited we can be competitive with any team in the country not a factory. Not saying we win every game against non-factories, but if we play a clean game we have the talent to win. His recruiting of Key, Choice, Griffin, Sims, and Gibbs gives us a shot every game. The difference in this team from last year to this year is amazing. Key deserves a raise because our OLine has taken a huge stride forward and allows our weapons to be utilized. We will lose our fair share because of youth and too many holes to fill, But, give him another 2-3 classes and we’ll have talent all over the field. That’s all we can ask for in this era of factories.
If we can’t become a factory, then what are we waiting 2-3 more seasons for? That level below the factories is pretty obtainable right now.

Milwaukee

Banned
Not sure if this has been discussed, but I can’t believe Louisville punted in the 4th. I turned to my dad and told him the game was over. I don’t know what the “right” call is when you’re down and 5 minutes left, but I was certain we were winning the game once gave it back to us.

Same. You punt there always because if you don’t get it the other team can run 3 plays and kick a fg and essentially end it. But we can’t kick fgs so there’s no reason to take the ball out of your offenses hands, especially with Cunningham’s ability. I was dumbfounded that Satterfield did that.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I was sitting on about the north 20 in the lower east, and it sure looked to me like it should have been downed on the one yard line. Somebody in chat said that once a ball crosses the goal line in the air, whether it is slapped back by a man off his feet or not, it's a touchback. First time I ever heard that. Someone else just posted that above. Like I said, that's the first time I have ever heard that rule.
That’s correct. college rule is: If the ball crosses the plane of line, it’s a touchback. Can’t batt the ball back into the field of play. That’s opposite of the NFL rule where you can batt the ball backwards.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. Good breakdown. I do have one question... does he have to signal TD if he thought that's what he saw (inbounds & breaking plane w possession) ...knowing he flagged the hold? Seems refs do not signal TD in end zone when receiver catches a ball after an offensive pass interference.

Gotta make some kind of call on the field. If they march back an obvious touchdown due to penalty without signaling, it's because it's gonna be accepted, and there's no doubt about what happened. I'm not sure if accepting the penalty is required by rule in that case.

This is what happened. He spotted the ball at the point where it appeared he stepped out (which after replay it was clear he did not). The odd thing to me is that there was clear and definitive proof that he was not down short of the endzone but it was impossible to determine with the camera angles on if the ball crossed the plane of the endzone before he fumbled. So basically they can prove the call on the field was wrong but can't determine what the right call would be.

That's how I saw the UGA "fumble and score" against JT in 2014. Obviously forward progress stopped is the right call, but that's not reviewable so let's ignore that. To my eye there was a camera angle showing his knee down while he still had the ball. And another showing he may have broken the plane but not enough to say for sure. So they could prove that fumble was the wrong call but not whether TD or down short of the goal was the right call. When the right call is not indisputable on replay, you have to stick with the original call even if you absolutely know it was wrong.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
When I got home and reviewed it on the ACC Condensed Game version. I was astonished to see that at about 10 minutes and change into the fourth quarter Louisville was still ahead. I agree with you that when they kicked it in the 4th quarter they were basically hoping that Sims or someone would turn the ball over for a gimme.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Advanced boxscore for our game

Some notables:
We finally got the camel off our back in the redzone. We scored 7 every time we advanced the ball past the opponent 40.
Turnovers gave us great starting field position. Even with the two punts down inside our own 5, our average starting field position was 37 yard line.
Our offensive line continues to be good
Our db's continue to be a liability, but the DL is looking strong
After being the worst player in regards to "Expected Points Added" the past two weeks, Sims had a break out game. It's amazing what happens when luck isn't against you.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Advanced boxscore for our game

Some notables:
We finally got the camel off our back in the redzone. We scored 7 every time we advanced the ball past the opponent 40.
Turnovers gave us great starting field position. Even with the two punts down inside our own 5, our average starting field position was 37 yard line.
Our offensive line continues to be good
Our db's continue to be a liability, but the DL is looking strong
After being the worst player in regards to "Expected Points Added" the past two weeks, Sims had a break out game. It's amazing what happens when luck isn't against you.

It is also amazing what happens when you don't turn the ball over. The running back for the Cardinals was a freshman last year and did not have a single fumble last year but he did last night. Was it two? I don't think he fumbled all three but someone can correct me on that. Last week Louisville had three turnovers against Pitt and lost all those were Cunningham passing, last night it was the running backs turn. There was a pass to Gibbs where he ran across the field and from my vantage point it looked like a Louisville player had the angle on him but the J Man just put it in another gear and beat him to the corner. His acceleration is all the more remarkable because it looks effortless.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think this year and next year will be a "tipping" point for this staff - I do believe they will prove to be competent (I am not yet convinced they will be "special" in their game day coaching, but I am hoping), and last night went a long way to show me they can "fix" stuff. I think having almost 2 full weeks was a blessing.

Now, when I say "tipping" point, I mean that they MUST bring in some highly touted LB's and DT's both in 2021 and 2022, if they have any chance of making the next step of possibly moving GT into the ACC Coastal (and ACC conference) championship discussion. I realize we have been blessed at times because the coastal was so, so bad, so that might help us as well. But, I maintain that they have to win some of the recruiting scuffles with Auburn, UF, etc. for some of the high 3 star, low 4 star DT's and LB's going forward to make that "jump" we all would like to see. Our new offense is not designed to "cover up" deficiencies on D, so recruiting and developing a top 30, hopefully top 20, D will be critical.