Louisville Post Game

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
That was a great game guys! When the 3O is firing on all cylinders, it is the prettiest offense to watch. Also, anytime Loserville gets a beat down is a good day in my book.

I enjoy following you guys and hope to make it to the Duke game as we play Tulsa that friday. (USF fan)

What is the best source for affordable tickets?

Fwiw, that's what we were expecting on offense against yall.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice warm-up road game in a stadium full of red and black!

It’s great to see the offense clicking and especially TQM in the groove. I was critical of his play this season and love watching him prove me wrong. Let’s keep the the offense (you know, the one we need to get rid of to be successful) rolling!

On defense, the take always have been huge and I think we can clean up some of the lapses we’ve had. The whole defense is young in this scheme—I expect they’ll keep getting better.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, they weren't very good and we beat them pretty bad, part deux. Some impressions:

• The OL last night looked like the 2014 bunch. I thought the UL DL had pretty much given up by the middle of the 3rd quarter. We drove them unmercifully. It'll be interesting to see how the lineup shifts now that Lee and Bryan (when he gets well all the way) can move to their usual spots. Hansen has been a revelation.

• The two headed monster at BB is now working just fine (21 carries, 136 yards, 2 tds). The only concern remaining is pass blocking; we'll need to see about that next week. Query: what happens next year when Benson returns? Think of Benson at BB with Mason and Cottrell at AB. Frightening. Even more frightening: Mason/Howard at BB with Benson and Cottrell at AB.

• Tobias Oliver has two very useful traits in a TO QB. First, he can spot a crease as well as any Tech player I've ever seen, almost as good as Robert Lavette. Second, while nobody would call him a speed demon (I would guess him at a 4.6 40 at best), he has the ability to accelerate to full speed in one step. That means he's often past everybody once he makes his cuts and it's a stern chase from then on. Brent Cunningham, who was much faster, had the same ability and made people pay with it.

• Several analysts said Charlie Thomas was the best athlete in 2018 freshman class and grossly underrated. Looks like they may have been right.

• Why didn't Coach get with the QBs earlier? Hindsight's 20-20, of course. TaQuon did very well.

• I saw Woody gritting his teeth the whole game. We had their QB under pressure for the whole game and only got 2 sacks. It could have been 10. The DBs need to get tight when it looks like the opposing QB is about to go down. But that comes with experience. And a good, long chewing out by your coach as you watch the films. Tackling was fluctuating all night too. We improved again, however.

• Last thing: Wesley Wells = Luke Manget. Same limited range (or so it seems), same high ball that's hard to block, same accuracy. I look for him to do well going forward, though sample size is still small.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
always great to get a win but it sure looked like another blowout against Bowling State and Acorn Green. It confirmed what we already knew that TM can be a great runningback. wonder why no work on passing? It still feels like last year so i'm expecting an upset win over duke,VT or Miami and a loss to either UNC or Va. looks like there's a chance to get up to being 6th or 7th best in acc ( and with only 12th to 14th level talent, that could enable CPJ to eek out another contract extension). No worries about change tho,the 19 recruiting class looks to have a lock on one of those coveted 10th to 14th rankings so CPJ can over achieve again.For now i'm just hoping to see that upset in the DUKE game and maybe something positive over what's left of season, but i'm not going to let this win get my hopes up.
I hate it for you that our guys won.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Qua was flagged for throwing/spinning the ball down. That's all I could see.

That was the celebration penalty.
The sideline interference was probably the coaches—they wanted grounding when Louisville threw the ball out of bounds, among other things. That moved Louisville from their 20 to the 35 (or so, somewhere around the 40)
CPJ laughed it off too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoboGoat

Georgia Tech Fan
Fwiw, that's what we were expecting on offense against yall.

I mean you guys did put up a ton of yards against us but yeah last night was incredible.

Good teams don’t barely eke out wins against terrible teams like ECU and Illinois.

Hey we haven't lost yet. I'd rather win every game by 1 point than lose 1 and win every other by 40...

Also, if we win today, we should crack the top25

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Would be too hard with the ABack motion. We aren’t a quick snap team. Bud Foster does the same thing to confuse us and allow the QB to not check into plays. Those presnap shifts really are effective in slowing us down. Wish there was a better way to combat it but it messes up the reads in the actual play called so it’s a tough one.

On first down though you could always have an “if they shift just dive to the BB” called. Should be good for an easy 4 if they’re not set and keep us ahead of the chains. I also wish we would play tempo in those situations. Venables and Foster depend on getting his complex calls in and you can see what teams like Syracuse can do against that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
can't argue with that, i just don't know how well the L- defense compares to others. I sure don't remember other games when the OL was so dominant. aannouncers called out a few blocks including the A backs getting downfield or perimeter.
The thing that helped their defense lined up and did not shift , making it easier to call blocks and change plays. ( But still a great offensive game) . If I remember right Duke will keep moving on defense which is were if we have a problem that is it.

GT_EE78

Banned
The thing that helped their defense lined up and did not shift , making it easier to call blocks and change plays. ( But still a great offensive game) . If I remember right Duke will keep moving on defense which is were if we have a problem that is it.
i think ur right, them tigers didn't seem to ever stop jumping around

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Well, they weren't very good and we beat them pretty bad, part deux. Some impressions:

• The OL last night looked like the 2014 bunch. I thought the UL DL had pretty much given up by the middle of the 3rd quarter. We drove them unmercifully. It'll be interesting to see how the lineup shifts now that Lee and Bryan (when he gets well all the way) can move to their usual spots. Hansen has been a revelation.

• The two headed monster at BB is now working just fine (21 carries, 136 yards, 2 tds). The only concern remaining is pass blocking; we'll need to see about that next week. Query: what happens next year when Benson returns? Think of Benson at BB with Mason and Cottrell at AB. Frightening. Even more frightening: Mason/Howard at BB with Benson and Cottrell at AB.

• Tobias Oliver has two very useful traits in a TO QB. First, he can spot a crease as well as any Tech player I've ever seen, almost as good as Robert Lavette. Second, while nobody would call him a speed demon (I would guess him at a 4.6 40 at best), he has the ability to accelerate to full speed in one step. That means he's often past everybody once he makes his cuts and it's a stern chase from then on. Brent Cunningham, who was much faster, had the same ability and made people pay with it.

• Several analysts said Charlie Thomas was the best athlete in 2018 freshman class and grossly underrated. Looks like they may have been right.

• Why didn't Coach get with the QBs earlier? Hindsight's 20-20, of course. TaQuon did very well.

• I saw Woody gritting his teeth the whole game. We had their QB under pressure for the whole game and only got 2 sacks. It could have been 10. The DBs need to get tight when it looks like the opposing QB is about to go down. But that comes with experience. And a good, long chewing out by your coach as you watch the films. Tackling was fluctuating all night too. We improved again, however.

• Last thing: Wesley Wells = Luke Manget. Same limited range (or so it seems), same high ball that's hard to block, same accuracy. I look for him to do well going forward, though sample size is still small.
Good points all !! I was watching our pass rush when we started to pull ahead. On one series , I saw Christian Campbell at outside LB on a pass rush, lose outside containment on their 2nd string QB and gave up a long run. Later in the game Campbell rushed again, kept outside containment and helped get a QB hurry. They are learning a new defensive mindset.