Louisville (-5) vs Georgia Tech

Deleted member 2897

Good news is the main problems we have are easily fixable. Just need to be more disciplined on penalties and experience will help with turnovers. If we clean up those things we should easily win. It’s not like last year where we clearly suck across the board.

Exactly. Last year we did not have such a big problem with turnovers and penalties. But it really felt like we didn’t even know our own playbook. That is a much more significant challenge to fix.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Could be, but Yates looked uncomfortable and ineffective in the snaps he took two weeks ago.

I re-watched the game this week. Other than the strip sack on the fumble he didn't look bad. He looked like a backup getting his first game action. Not sharp but not off by a lot either. Had a nice third down pass for a first down wiped out by a penalty. The line was just as bad for him as it was for Sims.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I have us losing. 33-17. Just don't think we are there. Too many mistakes, on offense. We are beating ourselves, with turnovers. Lastly, the D has started to fail at getting stops. Just don't see this one as being winnable.

We can win this game. Louisville has protection problems. Against Pitt, their quarterback suffered 7 sacks and a number against Miami as well. He seldom had a clean pocket to survey the field. That said, both teams have their backs to the wall. One team will limit mistakes, force turnovers and want it more than the other. It could go either way in what I figure to be a relatively low scoring game. They are averaging nearly 30 points a game though so we will see.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Coach is married to Sims now sink or swim. It would be better for his image to lose with Sims than to win with another qb at this point. That's just how it looks to me.
Lol no it wouldn’t. That’s dumb. Everyone knows it’s dumb, yet people still say dumb stuff like this. I don’t get it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
At this point, if another qb comes in and proves to be a winner, how do you think that would make Coach look after going all in on Sims?
What do you mean how is he going to look? If the next QB comes in and wins he’s going to look like a winner. There’s no coach in America that plays somebody that doesn’t give them the best chance to win, unless the best player is serving a suspension or has some other disciplinary issues. I don’t suppose that’s the case for anybody on Tech’s roster. How does Kirby Smart look starting D’wan Mathis in game 1 this year only to be surpassed by Stetson Bennett? How does Dabo look starting Kelly Bryant before Trevor Lawrence took his job? How did Nick Saban look when Tua came in and took Jalen Hurts’ starting job? The best available players are going to play until they can’t produce results. This is not a hard concept to wrap your brain around. There’s no conspiracies going on. This isn’t a recruiting trick. There’s no smoke and mirrors. Jeff Sims is the best QB on the roster at this time. Therefore, he’s going to start. If he continues to regress, he will be replaced. If he’s not the best QB on the roster on Saturday, September 4, 2021, he won’t start on opening week vs. NIU. It’s extremely simple.

What do you mean how is he going to look? If the next QB comes in and wins he’s going to look like a winner. There’s no coach in America that plays somebody that doesn’t give them the best chance to win, unless the best player is serving a suspension or has some other disciplinary issues. I don’t suppose that’s the case for anybody on Tech’s roster. How does Kirby Smart look starting D’wan Mathis in game 1 this year only to be surpassed by Stetson Bennett? How does Dabo look starting Kelly Bryant before Trevor Lawrence took his job? How did Nick Saban look when Tua came in and took Jalen Hurts’ starting job? The best available players are going to play until they can’t produce results. This is not a hard concept to wrap your brain around. There’s no conspiracies going on. This isn’t a recruiting trick. There’s no smoke and mirrors. Jeff Sims is the best QB on the roster at this time. Therefore, he’s going to start. If he continues to regress, he will be replaced. If he’s not the best QB on the roster on Saturday, September 4, 2021, he won’t start on opening week vs. NIU. It’s extremely simple.

I truly appreciate your confidence in Sims and really hope you and CGC are correct that he is the best QB available on our roster.