Louisville (-5) vs Georgia Tech

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I boldly made that prediction last week. Keeping my mouth shut predicting games until the program gets stable. We just got too many unknowns. Personally, I’m going to try my best to be patient. I got so used to overachieving. Have to get accustomed to the new normal.
You want to win this game? You really want to win? Run the damn ball until they say "uncle" or leave the middle of the field wide open which is what happened when Miami scored multiple easy TDs. We can win this game but they are better, perhaps more explosive would be a better word, than Syracuse on offense. Defensively I was not impressed watching them against Miami, though they were stout in the second half against Pitt. I think this will be a close and relatively low scoring game.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree with Running the ball over, and over, and over, and over. Put in two back sets with speed and power backs (Man I hope we get Mason back ps) and just hammer them repeatedly. Outside speed, inside drive, short PlayAction pass to the flats in space, rinse wash and repeat.

Bring back the death march 2.0 DP Style

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Again, this sounds about right. Neither team is setting the world on fire, but they've come closer to winning against better teams then Tech has. If they play like they did in their first game, we're doomed. But they haven't done that recently. And, yes, it would be a good idea to runs the ball. "But what will happen to our recruiting if we don't throw a lot!! We can't risk that!!" What we really can't risk is losing all the time.

I expect a close contest and we might win it. Unfortunately, winning close games pretty much demands a good place kicking game …

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Wow, Vegas has a lot of confidence in us. Wonder what advantages they’re seeing? Maybe it’s the we always beat up on the Atlantic teams not named Clemp?

I'm guessing 2 things:
1. Peripheral statistics / observation showing that we have been unlucky in some ways
2. Anticipated return of injured players

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Both teams are turnover machines, and their is currently a 60% chance of rain Friday night. The under looks like safe money.

I'm guessing that turnovers affect your own score a lot, but they don't affect the over/under for both teams near as much.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
"But what will happen to our recruiting if we don't throw a lot!!

This was an issue last year. I’ve yet to seen it mentioned this year save you just now. The purpose last year was to show that we are completely different than what we’d been and are now a modern pro-style offense.

That led to recruiting the best RB we’ve had in a long time and an elite 11 qb.

If you look at our splits this year we are almost 60/40 run to pass. Not sure what else people want. Honestly our play selection has been pretty solid. Untimely penalties and turnovers have been what hurt us.

We’ve rushed for 275 and 243 yards the last two games. I’d say we’re doing what y’all are asking for. We just have to clean up the penalties and turnovers and the wins will follow.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Again, this sounds about right. Neither team is setting the world on fire, but they've come closer to winning against better teams then Tech has. If they play like they did in their first game, we're doomed. But they haven't done that recently. And, yes, it would be a good idea to runs the ball. "But what will happen to our recruiting if we don't throw a lot!! We can't risk that!!" What we really can't risk is losing all the time.

I expect a close contest and we might win it. Unfortunately, winning close games pretty much demands a good place kicking game …
Dude, you had to go and remind me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree with Running the ball over, and over, and over, and over. Put in two back sets with speed and power backs (Man I hope we get Mason back ps) and just hammer them repeatedly. Outside speed, inside drive, short PlayAction pass to the flats in space, rinse wash and repeat.

Bring back the death march 2.0 DP Style
I hear you man, but my thinking is more about taking the pressure off the freshman quarterback and putting it on the shoulders of our best unit...the running backs. I have watched them closely multiple times...they are the real thing but the line has to block. Run the ball, limit turnovers, limit possessions for Cunningham the Louisville quarterback and that running back they have who is very good as well as those Louisville receivers. Rain? Let it rain and play hardnose.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I hear you man, but my thinking is more about taking the pressure off the freshman quarterback and putting it on the shoulders of our best unit...the running backs. I have watched them closely multiple times...they are the real thing but the line has to block. Run the ball, limit turnovers, limit possessions for Cunningham the Louisville quarterback and that running back they have who is very good as well as those Louisville receivers. Rain? Let it rain and play hardnose.
Yes, and a 60/40 split shouldn't be on every possession. It seems like we try to keep our split no matter the situation. I'm no OC, and don't have a clue I'm sure, but I sure wish we'd run 75/25 early, then go more balanced as they come up to shut down the run. And there is one thing I liked about the grumpy one...if it is working keep doing it until they figure out how to stop it. No need to get too smart and out-think yourself. Just make them stop it before you try to trick them.

Jmonty71

Banned
I have us losing. 33-17. Just don't think we are there. Too many mistakes, on offense. We are beating ourselves, with turnovers. Lastly, the D has started to fail at getting stops. Just don't see this one as being winnable.

Deleted member 2897

I have us losing. 33-17. Just don't think we are there. Too many mistakes, on offense. We are beating ourselves, with turnovers. Lastly, the D has started to fail at getting stops. Just don't see this one as being winnable.

if we play the way we have been playing and have trouble making all our kicks, have somewhere around 10 penalties or even more, and a -3 turnover margin or worse, I think this is a fair guess.

kalld12

Banned
if we play the way we have been playing and have trouble making all our kicks, have somewhere around 10 penalties or even more, and a -3 turnover margin or worse, I think this is a fair guess.
If thats really your stance then you haven't watched the last two games. Our D in my opinion has been the most disappointing this year, other than kicker and that's a whole other discussion. We couldn't even stop Syracuse, Louisville has better athletes, our only hope to outscore them and let me tell you the offense has its own issues to worry about.

The question is, will we show up? or will we see a undisciplined football team we've seen over the last two games? I personally think we lose by 7-10 points, we haven't shown enough that gives me hope.

Deleted member 2897

If thats really your stance then you haven't watched the last two games. Our D in my opinion has been the most disappointing this year, other than kicker and that's a whole other discussion. We couldn't even stop Syracuse, Louisville has better athletes, our only hope to outscore them and let me tell you the offense has its own issues to worry about.

The question is, will we show up? or will we see a undisciplined football team we've seen over the last two games? I personally think we lose by 7-10 points, we haven't shown enough that gives me hope.

Do you always start your post with insults? 😃. Syracuse had only two drives the entire game longer than 50 yards. Yes our defense could’ve done better, but nobody is perfect. Without the pick six and the short fields, they would’ve finished somewhere around 20 points. Nothing wrong with that from a defensive perspective - That would put you in the top five or six defenses in the conference.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

You have really stretched the field here, because I agree with @bwelbo. That rarely happens.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If you look at our splits this year we are almost 60/40 run to pass. Not sure what else people want.

He's an option fanboy who wants us to return to running the option. We're 12th in the country in both rushing yards and rushing attempts per game. hell, we're 21st in %rushing plays. People have become so accustomed to rushing it 80% of the time that just a normal rush first offense seems pass heavy to them.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

We are averaging 10.7 penalties per game and -2 on turnover margin. We are currently 20% on converting field goals. So unless we improve fairly dramatically this Friday, it may well be a difficult game for us.

That being said, you have brought up something repeatedly that I wholeheartedly agree with. The eyeball test shows that we ARE an improving team. While we haven't seemed to put it all together yet, we probably aren't that far away from stealing a win as an underdog. Friday night could very well be that game.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
We are averaging 10.7 penalties per game and -2 on turnover margin. We are currently 20% on converting field goals. So unless we improve fairly dramatically this Friday, it may well be a difficult game for us.

That being said, you have brought up something repeatedly that I wholeheartedly agree with. The eyeball test shows that we ARE an improving team. While we haven't seemed to put it all together yet, we probably aren't that far away from stealing a win as an underdog. Friday night could very well be that game.
Good news is the main problems we have are easily fixable. Just need to be more disciplined on penalties and experience will help with turnovers. If we clean up those things we should easily win. It’s not like last year where we clearly suck across the board.