LOS

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I've looked it up because I don't remember that and you made me curious. We are currently 88th at 76.47% redzone efficiency.

2021 - 88th (76.47%)
2020 - 121st (66.67%)
2019 - 130th (60%, worst in the country)
2018 - 85th (81.13%)
2017 - 22nd (89.66%)
2016 - 50th (85.71%)
2015 - 88th (80%)
2014 - 80th (80.6%)
2013 - 29th (87.18%)
2012 - 50th (82.76%)
2011 - 16th (88%)
2010 - 98th (75%)
2009 - 39th (83.93%)
2008 - 73rd (79.17%)

This would suggest to me that unless you are only remembering 2010, your memory is incorrect.

If you got that data from the same place I just looked at, it only includes data from games against FBS teams, which while indicative of true ability, does skew the numbers somewhat for certain years.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I've looked it up because I don't remember that and you made me curious. We are currently 88th at 76.47% redzone efficiency.

2021 - 88th (76.47%)
2020 - 121st (66.67%)
2018 - 85th (81.13%)
2017 - 22nd (89.66%)
2016 - 50th (85.71%)
2015 - 88th (80%)
2014 - 80th (80.6%)
2013 - 29th (87.18%)
2012 - 50th (82.76%)
2011 - 16th (88%)
2010 - 98th (75%)
2009 - 39th (83.93%)
2008 - 73rd (79.17%)

This would suggest to me that unless you are only remembering 2010, your memory is incorrect.
So as bad as we've looked this year we're comparable or slightly worse (at least rank wise) than '08, '10, '14 (?!), '15, and '18. 5 years. Nearly half of PJ's tenure. Hm.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So as bad as we've looked this year we're comparable or slightly worse (at least rank wise) than '08, '10, '14 (?!), '15, and '18. 5 years. Nearly half of PJ's tenure. Hm.

The difference was johnson was going for it on fourth in the redzone, sometimes you lose on that, we seem to just miss fieldgoals. And we do have a major issue fo not getting in from the one.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I had a quick thought... Sims Runs or Sims Deep Throws... ride it until you establish something then try all your cute plays. Please don't slow mesh our offense to death right off the bat CDP

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

2021 - 88th (76.47%)
2020 - 121st (66.67%)
2018 - 85th (81.13%)
2017 - 22nd (89.66%)
2016 - 50th (85.71%)
2015 - 88th (80%)
2014 - 80th (80.6%)
2013 - 29th (87.18%)
2012 - 50th (82.76%)
2011 - 16th (88%)
2010 - 98th (75%)
2009 - 39th (83.93%)
2008 - 73rd (79.17%)

The NCAA official stats list GT as 13th in Red Zone offense in 2014.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Also not me. I rarely go to StingTalk but I am Augusta_Jacket there.
Here is the link to the original discussion back in Jan 23, 2019

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
That's not an article. That's a random message board post.
The article is linked in the initial post, the same article KCJackets linked. The quote is also in the initial post. You just looked at the thread on stingtalk. Nobody gains anything from lying about this.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yeah some of that list is odd. Im wondering if it is just touchdown percentage.
The list I went off of only includes FBS games and only shows a percentage (that I could tell anyway). The NCAA list augusta posted probably includes all games. With either list, the actual percentages would be the more important number, not the rankings.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
2011...Man, more juice to support Tevin Washington was REALLY underappreciated during his time at GT.

Caveat to Redzone stats. 2014 GT had the #2 most efficient offense in the country, but our redzone efficiency was 80th.
I need to look it up, but I thought I remembered seeing we had lower efficiency in end zone (total scores) but made up for it in total touchdown % being higher than most teams since we went for it on 4th a lot. I will try to find the motivation to find that stats later after work to confirm/deny.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA official stats list GT as 13th in Red Zone offense in 2014.

Nice find. The TD% is ridiculous if you compare it. People need to remember that scoring a td is more than a fg, so overall redzone efficiency isn’t as important as TD efficiency

slugboy

Staff member
Hope this helps:
  • There was a post with speculation about Key's coaching ability, that was partially based on "him being fired from Alabama"
  • There was one article three years ago that's been "changed". Newspapers usually call this a correction, and they make those changes when they print something that they shouldn't have justified printing in the first place.
  • Whether or not D Orlando Ledbetter may have written it once, there's not a credible source for that claim NOW, and the AJC didn't consider it credible THEN or they wouldn't have corrected it.
  • There are enough places to look at Key's history to judge his track record as a line coach that a retracted story doesn't seem to be a really fruitful path to check out.
  • None of this really matters--what's important is whether he's coaching our linemen well NOW.

Scubapro

Banned
I remain baffled by this one thing...we gave up over 40 points in the first half (yes one TD was a pick six). In the vast nyriad of problems that we face, why does this one particular issue stick in the craw of so many people's throats???? Say we scored 14 more points today...is that really the issue we have????? Not saying the play calling is perfect but this is a fixation imo for many posters. It's akin to complaining about the paint job when the transmission isn't working.
Red Zone offense is key for good teams. Our offense has been awful and squandering multiple first and goals only makes it worse. Getting stopped inside the red zone is more than losing points its kills momentum. Its not a bad paint job its losing a tire.
Score a TD on each of our first and goals versus Clemson and we win. Do the same versus UNC and the game would have been out of reach...giving an opportunity for back ups to gain reps.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The list I went off of only includes FBS games and only shows a percentage (that I could tell anyway). The NCAA list augusta posted probably includes all games. With either list, the actual percentages would be the more important number, not the rankings.

There's no way we jumped that many spots based off the stats from the Wofford game being dismissed. And if the rankings are based on the percentages, it should be similar. in 2014 we were 35/49 on RZ TDs and 44/49 on total scores or 71% TD and 90% scoring.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Is the problem with out OLine really even on our OLine and Key at all?

We do hear Coach P preach all the time that we are RPO based offense after all. In college, RPO offensive line tend to block for run plays, because its the QB who decides if it will be a run or pass. It appears this decision is being made post snap more often than not on our RPO plays.

With that being said, I am curious if it is our line not being in the same page as the QB pre snap read or our QB making bad decisions, or our receivers simply taking too long to get open. RPO passes are not suppose to take all day to throw, theyre meant to be quick passes more often than not.

Just like the Triple option, every play is not an RPO.

OL doesn’t have to be on the same page. They run block and the WRs run their route.

Of course the play will be made post snap. You’re not going to throw a slant behind the LBs if they are not coming downhill on the run

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, when it was rumored that Key was coming to GT, I surfed some Bama boards to see their reaction since Key was a top assistant and recruiter for Saban. The 'Bama consensus was Saban wasn't unhappy to see Key go, nor would he try to keep Key. You have to remember that it was a period where Bama was going through a LOT of turnover (most due to coaches moving on for promotions), and Key happened to be a part of it. Key's salary was around $500K at 'Bama...his salary now is $600K. It wasn't a money issue for 'Bama if they wanted to keep Key.

Also keep in mind, Saban moved his staff around when Key was available so he could bring Key on to his staff.

IMO, I think Saban valued Key, but I also think Saban knows the foundation of his program is bigger than any assistant. That's why he's able to hire former pro and college head coaches, and top tier assistants, and he's fine when they leave. Key was a valuable part of the 'Bama machine, but he was never going to be promoted, so he came back to his alma mater for bigger role on the team and more money. Saban knows he would have some of the best coaches wanting to fill Key's role and let Key move on to GT.

That' one of th interpretations I wrote about. Saban can get about any coach he wants and is ok with them moving on. However, there is another take: he was glad to see Key go and didn't make an effort to keep him.

I don't pretend to know which is correct. Our continuing lack of OL improvement, even with the addition of highly touted experienced transfers, inclines me toward the second. I'll admit I'm surprised by this; I thought Collins hired too many inexperienced assistants, but I thought Key was his best choice. Now … not so much.