LOS

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think it's Mandela effect. There is no indication that Saban fired Brent Key or even pushed him out. For a major newspaper to print such an allegation would open them up to potential lawsuits. Like I said, I scrubbed the AJC archives and cannot find a single article that states this.
I don't think Saban fired or pushed Key out either, simply confirning the article existed which made that type of allegation. I'll look and see if I can find it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It wasn’t an article about Key. It was weird.
It was a column about a several things with just a short burb in the middle of these other topics.
The column headline didn’t mention Key and you will have to read the the entire column to find just that short mention.
I don’t believe it either but there were people putting it out there’s back then. Remember both Cunningham and Ledbetter are Dawgs. Probably came from one of their SEC sources.

Convenient. I did a keyword search on Brent Key and returned bupkis on this. I think this is all misremembered BS and no one can produce a shred of credible evidence from any reliable source other than "I distinctly remember...."

KCJackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Convenient. I did a keyword search on Brent Key and returned bupkis on this. I think this is all misremembered BS and no one can produce a shred of credible evidence from any reliable source other than "I distinctly remember...."

7. Flood watch: Kyle Flood, who was still listed on the Falcons website as a senior assistant as of 4:30 p.m. Monday, is reportedly headed to Alabama to be their offensive line coach. He set to take over for Brent Key, who landed at Georgia Tech.

slugboy

Staff member

7. Flood watch: Kyle Flood, who was still listed on the Falcons website as a senior assistant as of 4:30 p.m. Monday, is reportedly headed to Alabama to be their offensive line coach. He set to take over for Brent Key, who landed at Georgia Tech.
I don't read "fired" in that, for what it's worth.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

That's not the article

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Is the problem with out OLine really even on our OLine and Key at all?

We do hear Coach P preach all the time that we are RPO based offense after all. In college, RPO offensive line tend to block for run plays, because its the QB who decides if it will be a run or pass. It appears this decision is being made post snap more often than not on our RPO plays.

With that being said, I am curious if it is our line not being in the same page as the QB pre snap read or our QB making bad decisions, or our receivers simply taking too long to get open. RPO passes are not suppose to take all day to throw, theyre meant to be quick passes more often than not.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't read "fired" in that, for what it's worth.
I wouldn’t be surprised if these online blog columns get edited after publication. Maybe Key and the GT PR staff pushed back against Ledbetter’s contention. Bet Ledbetter had no proof or on the record source.

slugboy

Staff member
I wouldn’t be surprised if these online blog columns get edited after publication. Maybe Key and the GT PR staff pushed back against Ledbetter’s contention. Bet Ledbetter had no proof or on the record source.
I have not been impressed by his Falcons beat reporting.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I have not been impressed by his Falcons beat reporting.
It was so long ago and I just remember thinking why is this guy making claims about our new ol coach in the middle of a bunch of little random Falcon tidbits. Why is this necessary? I looked his bio up and saw he is a big time Dawg.
He probably got it from Kirby.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Nothing in that even insinuates fired.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about Key being fired; I doubt he was. However … Saban didn't make a counter offer to keep him either. That could be interpreted two ways, at least, but I haven't been impressed with our OL play yet. Maybe with time, if Collins survives.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about Key being fired; I doubt he was. However … Saban didn't make a counter offer to keep him either. That could be interpreted two ways, at least, but I haven't been impressed with our OL play yet. Maybe with time, if Collins survives.

FWIW, when it was rumored that Key was coming to GT, I surfed some Bama boards to see their reaction since Key was a top assistant and recruiter for Saban. The 'Bama consensus was Saban wasn't unhappy to see Key go, nor would he try to keep Key. You have to remember that it was a period where Bama was going through a LOT of turnover (most due to coaches moving on for promotions), and Key happened to be a part of it. Key's salary was around $500K at 'Bama...his salary now is $600K. It wasn't a money issue for 'Bama if they wanted to keep Key.

Also keep in mind, Saban moved his staff around when Key was available so he could bring Key on to his staff.

IMO, I think Saban valued Key, but I also think Saban knows the foundation of his program is bigger than any assistant. That's why he's able to hire former pro and college head coaches, and top tier assistants, and he's fine when they leave. Key was a valuable part of the 'Bama machine, but he was never going to be promoted, so he came back to his alma mater for bigger role on the team and more money. Saban knows he would have some of the best coaches wanting to fill Key's role and let Key move on to GT.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

I bet it was never in print or on the website to begin with.
I previously said the article KCJackets posted was not the article - I was incorrect. That is the article, which was altered sometime after its release to remove the offending language. The original text was

"3. Flood watch. Kyle Flood, who was still listed on the Falcons website as a senior assistant as of 4:30 p.m. Monday, is reportedly headed to Alabama to be their offensive line coach. He set to take over for Brent Key, who reportedly was fired – or at least free to leave - and landed at Georgia Tech."

Found a thread about it on stingtalk, I'm not sure why you wouldn't believe multiple people saying they remember the article's existence.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
As much as we sometimes had success in the Red Zone with the Spread Option, does anyone else remember that we quite often had the same issues with the Spread Option down there. I'm having Ground Hog Day moments with this Red Zone impotency talk.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I previously said the article KCJackets posted was not the article - I was incorrect. That is the article, which was altered sometime after its release to remove the offending language. The original text was

"3. Flood watch. Kyle Flood, who was still listed on the Falcons website as a senior assistant as of 4:30 p.m. Monday, is reportedly headed to Alabama to be their offensive line coach. He set to take over for Brent Key, who reportedly was fired – or at least free to leave - and landed at Georgia Tech."

Found a thread about it on stingtalk, I'm not sure why you wouldn't believe multiple people saying they remember the article's existence.

Because I have yet to see an actual link to an article or thread that quotes it directly.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
As much as we sometimes had success in the Red Zone with the Spread Option, does anyone else remember that we quite often had the same issues with the Spread Option down there. I'm having Ground Hog Day moments with this Red Zone impotency talk.
I've looked it up because I don't remember that and you made me curious. We are currently 88th at 76.47% redzone efficiency.

2021 - 88th (76.47%)
2020 - 121st (66.67%)
2019 - 130th (60%, worst in the country)
2018 - 85th (81.13%)
2017 - 22nd (89.66%)
2016 - 50th (85.71%)
2015 - 88th (80%)
2014 - 80th (80.6%)
2013 - 29th (87.18%)
2012 - 50th (82.76%)
2011 - 16th (88%)
2010 - 98th (75%)
2009 - 39th (83.93%)
2008 - 73rd (79.17%)

This would suggest to me that unless you are only remembering 2010, your memory is incorrect.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've looked it up because I don't remember that and you made me curious. We are currently 88th at 76.47% redzone efficiency.

2021 - 88th (76.47%)
2020 - 121st (66.67%)
2019 - 130th (60%, worst in the country)
2018 - 85th (81.13%)
2017 - 22nd (89.66%)
2016 - 50th (85.71%)
2015 - 88th (80%)
2014 - 80th (80.6%)
2013 - 29th (87.18%)
2012 - 50th (82.76%)
2011 - 16th (88%)
2010 - 98th (75%)
2009 - 39th (83.93%)
2008 - 73rd (79.17%)

This would suggest to me that unless you are only remembering 2010, your memory is incorrect.

2011...Man, more juice to support Tevin Washington was REALLY underappreciated during his time at GT.

Caveat to Redzone stats. 2014 GT had the #2 most efficient offense in the country, but our redzone efficiency was 80th.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

We did not have the same level of ineptitude. We had issues where we just didin't execute btu the years we had those issues wer 2013 (vad couldn't run the midline series) and 2018.

Touchdown vulture byerly and jordan took care of those issues with havgin a smalelr QB in jt and nesbitt and washington never had issues getting it in form inside the 5.

edit just relaized he's talkign abtou entrie redzone not inside the 5. Changes the numbers

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Because I have yet to see an actual link to an article or thread that quotes it directly.
Well you must not be looking too hard, I found it rather quickly. Not going to link it here because of inappropriate content, but its Titled "Anybody heard this bull****", started by IM79, and actually, here's the very last comment on the thread:

Screenshot_20211005-100009_Chrome.jpg

That you?