LOS

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Y'all, please listen to your mod. Whether you like collins or not, if he's going to succeed, he's going to succeed his way, which is jimmies and joes.

I claim this should be your mantra:
Saturday Sep. 2, 2023vs Louisville Cardinals at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA

THAT is when you can begin to evaluate the success or failure of Collins, and not before. His first class will be seniors at that point, so he'll have an entire roster of his guys, with an entire recruiting cycle of S&C and reps. That is your baseline year to evaluate up or down from.

Agreed. I've been arguing this for a while but you can't convince people who have already determined they know the answer before the question is even asked...

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Besides NIU, I haven’t seen any glaring bad decisions from GC. Some you may argue with like going for it vs. punting/FG but none that were just bad choices.

The idea that we can never outscheme anyone I would agree with as we currently stand, but we shall see if GC has heat applied at any point and makes changes. Imo, if you get rid of Patenaude, you have to also get rid on everyone not named TC on offense and bring in an OC and let him pick his assistants. If you get rid on Thacker, you will pay significantly more for a more seasoned DC

But to give everyone an idea of how far behind we are, Tony Elliot at Clemson makes 2 million a year. All of our assistants together make 3.3 million.

Instead of ponying up 27 million to fire Geoff, and another 30 million to hire someone else, perhaps those big donors who are mad could give to make sure we aren’t paying Duke rates and expecting bama results.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Y'all, please listen to your mod. Whether you like collins or not, if he's going to succeed, he's going to succeed his way, which is jimmies and joes.

I claim this should be your mantra:
Saturday Sep. 2, 2023vs Louisville Cardinals at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA

THAT is when you can begin to evaluate the success or failure of Collins, and not before. His first class will be seniors at that point, so he'll have an entire roster of his guys, with an entire recruiting cycle of S&C and reps. That is your baseline year to evaluate up or down from.
Not sure that I agree that OL have to be Seniors to play well but I do somewhat agree on waiting until after year 4 is done to make a larger analysis of the job Collins has done overall. That said, asking fans to wait 5 years before they give any analysis on what they are seeing on the field simply isn't realistic. It is possible and should be expected to keep improving along the way at a reasonable level. Some fans, myself included, aren't seeing the improvement in year 3 that we expected to see. Others think improvement is basically impossible until year 5. We will just agree to disagree on those things.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
2023 will come and we’ll all be here. Time doesn’t stop. So are you suggesting we simply turn off football message boards until then? Posters were griping in June and July about “the same old topics being rehashed”. Now, we have actual games and we are not suppose to comment? I like Collins, but that doesn’t mean comments whether positive or negative shouldn’t be allowed. This is not real life fun stuff. It’s a distraction from the real world. Collins may very well become a winner and be a 25 year head coach at GT. That would be great for all of us. But that doesn’t mean we can’t comment on today. As I sat next to my son and we took another wasted timeout due to the play clock running down, my son said, same ole same ole. That’s where we are today.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Cooper didn’t play and a lot of guys were banged up. There were first time starters in the game and a lot of moving parts due to injury. Pitts stacked the box and player downhill and the make shift line got whooped.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to throw this out there, and I want to stress that I don't know whether it has anything to do with our troubles or not, but while OC at UCF, Brent Key's offense finished 127th out of 127 teams and the team went 0-12 largely because of a lot of infighting and morale problems. This is from an article by the Orlando Sentinel which touched on that experience:

"Key was promoted to offensive coordinator before the season and choreographed an offense that ranked dead-last – 127th out of 127 teams – in the country. Injuries ransacked the team. Players quit on the coaches while the coaches fought among themselves. O'Leary battled with the administration about when he would announce his retirement and angrily stepped down in the middle of the season.
"It was a time of self-reflection and analyzing things that were really good and the things that had gone bad," Key said of that tumultuous time after he was let go by UCF. "Anytime you go through a season like we had, you go through personal challenges. It's not a time to be down, wallow in self-pity or say, 'Woe is me.' It's a time where you ask yourself, 'What can I do to make myself a better man, a better husband, a better father figure, a better coach?'"

Kenneth Kirby came here as an experienced senior starter at Norfolk State and has hardly seen the field. Here is his bio from the Tech website:

2016-20 (Norfolk State): Graduate transfer … Started all 34 games over three seasons at Norfolk State … Started all 12 games at left tackle as a junior in 2019 and was named first-team all-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference after grading out at 96% for the season … Surrendered just two half-sacks and led the team in knockdowns while playing a team-high-tying 884 snaps in 2019 … Led an offensive line that helped Norfolk State set a school-Division I record with 28.9 points per game and rank third in the MEAC in rushing in ’19 … Started all 11 games as a sophomore in 2017, en route to third-team all-MEAC recognition … Started all 11 games at left tackle as a freshman in 2016 … Redshirted in 2018 and missed the 2020 season due to NCAA Division I FCS postponing its fall season

Is there some dissension the OL? Is Brent Key playing favorites? I just wonder. It's hard to imagine that Kirby isn't able to get on the field with our offensive line as bad as it is. He doesn't seem to have an injury - he's played very sparingly, albeit not at all against Pitt. I have no idea what is going on, but it would explain a lot.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to throw this out there, and I want to stress that I don't know whether it has anything to do with our troubles or not, but while OC at UCF, Brent Key's offense finished 127th out of 127 teams and the team went 0-12 largely because of a lot of infighting and morale problems. This is from an article by the Orlando Sentinel which touched on that experience:

"Key was promoted to offensive coordinator before the season and choreographed an offense that ranked dead-last – 127th out of 127 teams – in the country. Injuries ransacked the team. Players quit on the coaches while the coaches fought among themselves. O'Leary battled with the administration about when he would announce his retirement and angrily stepped down in the middle of the season.
"It was a time of self-reflection and analyzing things that were really good and the things that had gone bad," Key said of that tumultuous time after he was let go by UCF. "Anytime you go through a season like we had, you go through personal challenges. It's not a time to be down, wallow in self-pity or say, 'Woe is me.' It's a time where you ask yourself, 'What can I do to make myself a better man, a better husband, a better father figure, a better coach?'"

Kenneth Kirby came here as an experienced senior starter at Norfolk State and has hardly seen the field. Here is his bio from the Tech website:

2016-20 (Norfolk State): Graduate transfer … Started all 34 games over three seasons at Norfolk State … Started all 12 games at left tackle as a junior in 2019 and was named first-team all-Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference after grading out at 96% for the season … Surrendered just two half-sacks and led the team in knockdowns while playing a team-high-tying 884 snaps in 2019 … Led an offensive line that helped Norfolk State set a school-Division I record with 28.9 points per game and rank third in the MEAC in rushing in ’19 … Started all 11 games as a sophomore in 2017, en route to third-team all-MEAC recognition … Started all 11 games at left tackle as a freshman in 2016 … Redshirted in 2018 and missed the 2020 season due to NCAA Division I FCS postponing its fall season

Is there some dissension the OL? Is Brent Key playing favorites? I just wonder. It's hard to imagine that Kirby isn't able to get on the field with our offensive line as bad as it is. He doesn't seem to have an injury - he's played very sparingly, albeit not at all against Pitt. I have no idea what is going on, but it would explain a lot.
Everyone on the line is banged up including Kirby. He can’t play RT so that really limits him. The only tackle spot he can play is left. Starting him at LT makes you move Cochran from his natural spot and over to RT. He’s having to battle through being banged up and training at left guard. I wouldn’t be so shocked to see him at LG later in the season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
May have been Michael Cunningham or another writer there, but I remember the article too.

I think it's Mandela effect. There is no indication that Saban fired Brent Key or even pushed him out. For a major newspaper to print such an allegation would open them up to potential lawsuits. Like I said, I scrubbed the AJC archives and cannot find a single article that states this.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Everyone on the line is banged up including Kirby. He can’t play RT so that really limits him. The only tackle spot he can play is left. Starting him at LT makes you move Cochran from his natural spot and over to RT. He’s having to battle through being banged up and training at left guard. I wouldn’t be so shocked to see him at LG later in the season.
Well, that explains why Kirby hasn't been in there then. I hadn't read anything about him being banged up until now. I certainly hope I'm wrong about Key. Hope ne can get us straightened out up front.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think it's Mandela effect. There is no indication that Saban fired Brent Key or even pushed him out. For a major newspaper to print such an allegation would open them up to potential lawsuits. Like I said, I scrubbed the AJC archives and cannot find a single article that states this.
Actually, Saban may have been giving Key a favor, if the accusation is true. Assistant contracts typically run through June, and depending on how it was constructed, Key may have owed a buyout for not completing the terms.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Well, that explains why Kirby hasn't been in there then. I hadn't read anything about him being banged up until now. I certainly hope I'm wrong about Key. Hope ne can get us straightened out up front.
Key is in a weird spot. He virtually has 1 true recruiting class of his linemen and then a bunch of fillers. You would see some of the younger guys getting a burn here and there but literally every offensive linemen in the program is banged up. Williams and Johnson were playing through injury and Johnson barely played against pitt while Williams payed through it but got hurt even worse.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Actually, Saban may have been giving Key a favor, if the accusation is true. Assistant contracts typically run through June, and depending on how it was constructed, Key may have owed a buyout for not completing the terms.

I mean, I found this article, which says the exact opposite. This idea that Key was run out of Bama is pure after the fact speculation with seemingly no merit to it whatsoever.

"But all the top offensive coaches will be new. It doesn’t seem as if that’s happening because Saban was ready to move on, like in previous cases. Rather, it looks like the assistants wanted to be elsewhere.

Locksley is the new head coach at Maryland, a typical move up. Not typical: Key took the same position at Georgia Tech, Gattis is OC at Michigan (with no “co” but, still) and Enos will be the OC for Miami after he reportedly was in line to succeed Locksley. Gattis and Enos ended up being one-season rental assistants, and Alabama’s offense hummed with them on staff, but now there’s a lot of turnover again."

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
It wasn’t an article about Key. It was weird.
It was a column about a several things with just a short burb in the middle of these other topics.
The column headline didn’t mention Key and you will have to read the the entire column to find just that short mention.
I don’t believe it either but there were people putting it out there’s back then. Remember both Cunningham and Ledbetter are Dawgs. Probably came from one of their SEC sources.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Key is in a weird spot. He virtually has 1 true recruiting class of his linemen and then a bunch of fillers. You would see some of the younger guys getting a burn here and there but literally every offensive linemen in the program is banged up. Williams and Johnson were playing through injury and Johnson barely played against pitt while Williams payed through it but got hurt even worse.
Man, what's causing all these injuries? The place where they can do the most damage is where we have them in spades.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Man, what's causing all these injuries? The place where they can do the most damage is where we have them in spades.
As someone who is a little overweight at 270 ( But I like to think it's more I'm to short for my weight ) at the size of these players most parts of your bod ( back; knees ankles ) can not take what they are trying to hold up at that size something is going to give after time.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

With all due respect to Mr Kirby, If we are chomping for a Norfolk State OL to make the starting squad or “get burn” then that’s a statement as well. Tbh same applies for Keion White (if we really exists :) )

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect to Mr Kirby, If we are chomping for a Norfolk State OL to make the starting squad or “get burn” then that’s a statement as well. Tbh same applies for Keion White (if we really exists :) )
He's a highly experienced senior starter who was 1st team all-MEAC. I'm pretty sure that much of the cream of the MEAC conference can play well at the P-5 level.

But yeah, we need all the help we can get on the OL.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for that info. I didn't realize he was unable to play the RT position.

By6yJDRCEAEADfz.jpg