LOS

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I've looked it up because I don't remember that and you made me curious. We are currently 88th at 76.47% redzone efficiency.

2021 - 88th (76.47%)
2020 - 121st (66.67%)
2019 - 130th (60%, worst in the country)
2018 - 85th (81.13%)
2017 - 22nd (89.66%)
2016 - 50th (85.71%)
2015 - 88th (80%)
2014 - 80th (80.6%)
2013 - 29th (87.18%)
2012 - 50th (82.76%)
2011 - 16th (88%)
2010 - 98th (75%)
2009 - 39th (83.93%)
2008 - 73rd (79.17%)

This would suggest to me that unless you are only remembering 2010, your memory is incorrect.
Redzone efficiency is for overall scoring (TD's and FG's)? Perhaps I should have been more specific. I'm not talking about overall Red Zone scoring but scoring TD's, say, inside the 10 or, more frustratingly so, inside the 5 with four tries. Are there any stats that you can find that show our being stymied inside the 5 and not scoring TD's, say, in the past 6 years?

slugboy

Staff member
Hope this helps:
  • There was a post with speculation about Key's coaching ability, that was partially based on "him being fired from Alabama"
  • There was one article three years ago that's been "changed". Newspapers usually call this a correction, and they make those changes when they print something that they shouldn't have justified printing in the first place.
  • Whether or not D Orlando Ledbetter may have written it once, there's not a credible source for that claim NOW, and the AJC didn't consider it credible THEN or they wouldn't have corrected it.
  • There are enough places to look at Key's history to judge his track record as a line coach that a retracted story doesn't seem to be a really fruitful path to check out.
  • None of this really matters--what's important is whether he's coaching our linemen well NOW.
Apropos:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We did not have the same level of ineptitude. We had issues where we just didin't execute btu the years we had those issues wer 2013 (vad couldn't run the midline series) and 2018.

Touchdown vulture byerly and jordan took care of those issues with havgin a smalelr QB in jt and nesbitt and washington never had issues getting it in form inside the 5.

edit just relaized he's talkign abtou entrie redzone not inside the 5. Changes the numbers
I clarified my opinion in an earlier reply to me in that I was referring to scoring TD's with 1st and goal primarily inside the 5. Overall Red Zone scoring (which I assume includes FG's) is not what I was talking about.

There were many times and particularly in PJ's last three (?) years where we seemed to lack the ability to run it down people's throat inside the 10. Sewak's flop blocks were the main culprit.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I clarified my opinion in an earlier reply to me in that I was referring to scoring TD's with 1st and goal primarily inside the 5. Overall Red Zone scoring (which I assume includes FG's) is not what I was talking about.

There were many times and particularly in PJ's last three (?) years where we seemed to lack the ability to run it down people's throat inside the 10. Sewak's flop blocks were the main culprit.
In 2018 our points per redzone attempt was 17th in the country at 5.55 pts per drive in redzone.

In 2017 we were ranked 61 with 5 points per drive in endzone ("efficiency" of 54th)

In 2016 we were ranked 9th with 5.54 points per drive in the endzone (and an "efficiency of 64th)

If you need something specific like "within the 10 or within the 5" you are asking for data that just doesn't exist without running the analysis yourself. I really have a hard time thinking that our redzone offense was anything worthy of being negative about the last 3 years of CPJ's tenure. I would also be shocked if you believe that the majority of CPJ's redzone scoring happened outside the 10 yard line.

Redzone "efficiency" is a terrible stat because it weighs fg and td equally. A team that scores fg 100% of the time is not bettter than a team that scores td 50% of the time, but the stat would make you think differently when ranked purely on percentage.

edit: screwed up 2017! I don't think anyone would argue we were great in 2017!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In 2018 our points per redzone attempt was 17th in the country at 5.55 pts per drive in redzone.

In 2017 we were ranked 61 with 5 points per drive in endzone ("efficiency" of 54th)

In 2016 we were ranked 9th with 5.54 points per drive in the endzone (and an "efficiency of 64th)

If you need something specific like "within the 10 or within the 5" you are asking for data that just doesn't exist without running the analysis yourself. I really have a hard time thinking that our redzone offense was anything worthy of being negative about the last 3 years of CPJ's tenure. I would also be shocked if you believe that the majority of CPJ's redzone scoring happened outside the 10 yard line.

Redzone "efficiency" is a terrible stat because it weighs fg and td equally. A team that scores fg 100% of the time is not bettter than a team that scores td 50% of the time, but the stat would make you think differently when ranked purely on percentage.

edit: screwed up 2017! I don't think anyone would argue we were great in 2017!

In fairness, the minute you read the phrase "flop blocks" you should have realized you were responding to a font with an anti-CPJ agenda...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
So as bad as we've looked this year we're comparable or slightly worse (at least rank wise) than '08, '10, '14 (?!), '15, and '18. 5 years. Nearly half of PJ's tenure. Hm.

Mine and I am sure a lot of others are concerned about the first and goal performance (which is embarrassingly pathetic) which has little to do with the red zone numbers.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Mine and I am sure a lot of others are concerned about the first and goal performance (which is embarrassingly pathetic) which has little to do with the red zone numbers.
Also, as I pointed out in my post, looking at redzone “efficiency” is not a good way of comparing redzone performance.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
In fairness, the minute you read the phrase "flop blocks" you should have realized you were responding to a font with an anti-CPJ agenda...
This font's only bias was generally against "flop blocks" and the associated look of ineptitude that results. I also have a bias against this regime's looks of ineptitude especially when you can't score a TD from inside the 5 with four downs. And it happened frequently during the previous regime particularly towards its end.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA official stats list GT as 13th in Red Zone offense in 2014.

Meh, the NCAA official stats also currently show Washington as better than 100% in the redzone (14 scores on 13 attempts). Without going through the play by play for each game, we can't be sure that anybody's numbers are correct, and I know I'm not interested enough to figure out who has errors and where.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Meh, the NCAA official stats also currently show Washington as better than 100% in the redzone (14 scores on 13 attempts). Without going through the play by play for each game, we can't be sure that anybody's numbers are correct, and I know I'm not interested enough to figure out who has errors and where.

I think you're reading the table wrong. Washington is listed as 54/61. 13 is the amount of games played.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think you're reading the table wrong. Washington is listed as 54/61. 13 is the amount of games played.

I just saw in this years data where there is an obvious error as you mentioned. My response is to not throw the baby out with the bath water. Statistics are compiled fairly accurately, and former seasons are almost always 100% correct, as they are no longer changing and have had time to be reviewed and analyzed to ensure correctness. Current season data always has a greater chance to have an error as it is updated routinely and subject to typos.

If your stance is that stats might have errors, so why use them then you needn't post any more stats to back any of your future claims, because they might have errors. The reality is that stats from relaible sources, like the NCAA, while not infallible, are far more likely to be correct than those from random webpages.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I just saw in this years data where there is an obvious error as you mentioned. My response is to not throw the baby out with the bath water. Statistics are compiled fairly accurately, and former seasons are almost always 100% correct, as they are no longer changing and have had time to be reviewed and analyzed to ensure correctness. Current season data always has a greater chance to have an error as it is updated routinely and subject to typos.

If your stance is that stats might have errors, so why use them then you needn't post any more stats to back any of your future claims, because they might have errors. The reality is that stats from relaible sources, like the NCAA, while not infallible, are far more likely to be correct than those from random webpages.
I'm not saying throw them out, I'm saying the sources need to be verified and I'm not interested in spending the time to do that. You want to assume the NCAA stats are more accurate and assume that they have been reviewed after the fact, but we don't know if either of those things are actually true.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not saying throw them out, I'm saying the sources need to be verified and I'm not interested in spending the time to do that. You want to assume the NCAA stats are more accurate and assume that they have been reviewed after the fact, but we don't know if either of those things are actually true.

Nice deflection. Feel free to make sure you've verified all stats you use in the future and demonstrate your work so we can be sure you are correct.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Normally i would agree with you about verifying sources (that's always important), but suggesting that the NCAA stats are not accurate (or are roughly accurate) is the type of response you get from a Conspiracy Theorist. You're basically asking someone to prove the NCAA stats are accurate. Nice. NCAA stats may have some errors, but they are more than accurate for message board discussions.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This font's only bias was generally against "flop blocks" and the associated look of ineptitude that results. I also have a bias against this regime's looks of ineptitude especially when you can't score a TD from inside the 5 with four downs. And it happened frequently during the previous regime particularly towards its end.
I posted data showing that we scored in the top 20 points per opportunity from the redzone two of CPJ’s final three years, and your response is we couldn’t score from inside the five? We averaged 5.5 points every time we entered the redzone in 2018 and 2016. Are you actually asserting that we averaged 5.5 without scoring a td from within the 5?