Let's keep some perspective here on our NEW HC

JacketFan137

Banned
You can gladly put me with the sunshine and rainbows group, and my guess is that as someone else said, many posters don't have a whole lot of sports in their past, but this is a sports message board so post away guys. But, here is the thing for me, the loss to BG was awful, but it was one game, one loss to an inferior team that shouldn't have happened, file it away as you may ... so, would you prefer a loss to BG, with a coach who has made us competitive in a short span and is making some rookie mistakes or still be coached by TFG ??
i get what you’re trying to say but “at least collins isn’t our coach” isn’t exactly a high bar to clear

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You can gladly put me with the sunshine and rainbows group, and my guess is that as someone else said, many posters don't have a whole lot of sports in their past, but this is a sports message board so post away guys. But, here is the thing for me, the loss to BG was awful, but it was one game, one loss to an inferior team that shouldn't have happened, file it away as you may ... so, would you prefer a loss to BG, with a coach who has made us competitive in a short span and is making some rookie mistakes or still be coached by TFG ??
The Key haters will say that’s a false choice but I think it is exactly the point. Collins, with every egregious loss over four seasons, cultivated a deep distrust in his ability to ever turn around this program, or any program. It’s easy to see so far with Key that, whether he turns this program around quickly or not, he has a future in coaching. I would stake money on it. And that’s a huge difference from the last guy.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
so, would you prefer a loss to BG, with a coach who has made us competitive in a short span and is making some rookie mistakes or still be coached by TFG ??

I would prefer neither.

At least one thing we can all agree on (I think) regardless of which side of the negativity / positivity spectrum we fall on is that we want GT to succeed.

Speaking personally, nearly all the people I graduated with and went to games with every home game while in school and several Saturdays each year for 10+ years post graduation, no longer care. I get that life happens, families, careers, etc. but these were some fairly die-hard people that just flat out gave up on the program after they became convinced the school no longer cares about fielding a program worthy of their time or respect.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would prefer neither.

At least one thing we can all agree on (I think) regardless of which side of the negativity / positivity spectrum we fall on is that we want GT to succeed.

Speaking personally, nearly all the people I graduated with and went to games with every home game while in school and several Saturdays each year for 10+ years post graduation, no longer care. I get that life happens, families, careers, etc. but these were some fairly die-hard people that just flat out gave up on the program after they became convinced the school no longer cares about fielding a program worthy of their time or respect.
I don’t disagree. And one nice win won’t bring them back. But 2/3 years of being respectable might.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Based on his contract I would expect Key to get at least 3 years to show he can turn the program around and have a winning program.

He deserves some time, i'm not going to overreact due to a handful of games. There are pretty obvious improvements and talent upgrades that are needed, i'll watch to see how those are handled.

Key wasn't even in my top 3, but right now he is my coach.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The Key haters will say that’s a false choice but I think it is exactly the point. Collins, with every egregious loss over four seasons, cultivated a deep distrust in his ability to ever turn around this program, or any program. It’s easy to see so far with Key that, whether he turns this program around quickly or not, he has a future in coaching. I would stake money on it. And that’s a huge difference from the last guy.
I think coaching under. Saban a few years should help most coaches running a football program.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I would prefer neither.

Yea, I hear you,, it definitely seems that us few are getting fewer ... I'm hoping J. Batt has a Homer Rice effect and we get some of these people back.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have often wondered what makes us (those who read this board, post, buy tickets, donate, go to games) different from our smarter brothers and sisters. Aside from the obvious lack of intelligence of course! ;)

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I had a thought today that I wanted to share with you all. I think it has a chance to warm most people's heart on this board.

Georgia Tech is a fantastic place, a life-changing place. It uses the premise of iron sharpening iron to forge us all into better people. Because of this and the grind that all students experience there together, a sense of comraderie permeates the campus. We are in the trenches together, being sent like sheep to the slaughter by or professors (generals). We all get a sense of pride from this masochistic experience.

After we graduate and move into our professional lives, we lose that part of ourselves. Life becomes to easy. We grow soft and disconnected from our euphoric painful experience of years past.

Coach Key, a Tech Man himself, just wants us all to re-live our time together at GT every Saturday. To feel like we are all shoulder-to-shoulder again. I appreciate him for that. If it weren't for GT football, life would just be too easy. The sweet things of life would not be appreciated.

slugboy

Staff member
I had a thought today that I wanted to share with you all. I think it has a chance to warm most people's heart on this board.

Georgia Tech is a fantastic place, a life-changing place. It uses the premise of iron sharpening iron to forge us all into better people. Because of this and the grind that all students experience there together, a sense of comraderie permeates the campus. We are in the trenches together, being sent like sheep to the slaughter by or professors (generals). We all get a sense of pride from this masochistic experience.

After we graduate and move into our professional lives, we lose that part of ourselves. Life becomes to easy. We grow soft and disconnected from our euphoric painful experience of years past.

Coach Key, a Tech Man himself, just wants us all to re-live our time together at GT every Saturday. To feel like we are all shoulder-to-shoulder again. I appreciate him for that. If it weren't for GT football, life would just be too easy. The sweet things of life would not be appreciated.
We need a curve for the final score, then

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have often wondered what makes us (those who read this board, post, buy tickets, donate, go to games) different from our smarter brothers and sisters. Aside from the obvious lack of intelligence of course! ;)
I would put it this way. There was a time, so far back now I can’t remember exactly when, that following Tech was a natural organic reaction. I didn’t have to think about it; it was just automatic that I was going to follow Tech sports. It had its own energy attraction and drive that captured me.

At some point I lost that natural inclination. So I made a conscious choice. I would follow Tech as a small act of will. It quit being automatic a long time ago. But I do now it on the faint hope that it might pay off one day, that one day shear spontaneous joy might return. That I might recapture that consuming joy.

So why? Because I remember when sports used to compliment the rest of my life with rhythms and seasons and rituals, good times and fun memories. In the grand scheme of things it’s a pointless task, like chasing a little white ball on a manicured tract of land. But the meaning, such as it is, is in the doing. Hobbies and pastimes have no larger purpose or meaning. They are what they are. And that is kind of what life is other than loved ones and giving to others.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I’m not ignoring anything. I pretty sure 18/22 on two deep defense returned majority of those guys guys been in the system for 3yr to 4yrs.

Key has been a coach of the staff 5yrs. He’s responsible for the portal guys that working out well like King, 4* Pyron and others.
Key probably shouldn't have retained the DC who in 4 years had one defense better than rank 90th.

The offense, this year, is leaps and bounds better than the past four years. The defense looks like the Thacker defense we've trotted out 3 of the last 4 years.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I would put it this way. There was a time, so far back now I can’t remember exactly when, that following Tech was a natural organic reaction. I didn’t have to think about it; it was just automatic that I was going to follow Tech sports. It had its own energy attraction and drive that captured me.

At some point I lost that natural inclination. So I made a conscious choice. I would follow Tech as a small act of will. It quit being automatic a long time ago. But I do now it on the faint hope that it might pay off one day, that one day shear spontaneous joy might return. That I might recapture that consuming joy.

So why? Because I remember when sports used to compliment the rest of my life with rhythms and seasons and rituals, good times and fun memories. In the grand scheme of things it’s a pointless task, like chasing a little white ball on a manicured tract of land. But the meaning, such as it is, is in the doing. Hobbies and pastimes have no larger purpose or meaning. They are what they are. And that is kind of what life is other than loved ones and giving to others.
Completely nailed it for me !

diehard

Georgia Tech Fan
I just did some quick research on a few coaches who now seem awesome:
Norvell at FSU- first year 5-7
Cristobal at UM - first year 5-7
Smart at UGA- first year 8-5
Sarkisian at UT - first year 5-7
Kiffin at Ole Miss- first year 5-5
Heupel at UTn- first year 7-6
Kelly at UCLA - first year 3-9
second year 4-8
third year 8-4
fourth year 9-4
Venables at Ok first year 6-7

And then there are:
Elliott at UVA - first year 3-7
second year 0-5
Pry at VT - first year 3-8
second year 2-3

Lets see how the team responds Saturday. Not expecting a win but hope they are competitive. This is still year one I don’t care if he was here in some other capacity with the previous regime.
You can;t be serios

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Key probably shouldn't have retained the DC who in 4 years had one defense better than rank 90th.

The offense, this year, is leaps and bounds better than the past four years. The defense looks like the Thacker defense we've trotted out 3 of the last 4 years.
As head coach, Key is accountable for all 3 phases of the game.

On Offense, he deserves credit for the improvement, but I wonder how much of it is due to the players (particularly the transfers) or is it better coaching? He brought in a new O-line coach and a new O-coordinator, and it does seem to be paying dividends. So, from an executive decision standpoint, Key appears to have made good choices there.

On Special Teams, there has been improvement, and again he dedicated a new coach to that, but it still has a ways to go to get to “competent”. The remainder of the season will give us some answers there.

Finally on Defense, he either chose to retain the coaches from last year or there were constraints on his options that the general public is not aware of. Obviously, we lost some playmakers on D that might have made a difference. Regardless, I think we have enough talent to be better than the bottom of FBS. I’m hopeful that Key won’t let the problem persist without taking further action. His job depends on it.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Watching KQ of GT Rivals on YouTube recently and he said that at least some GT kids that CGC recruited seem to have an entitlement mentality, if that is the case it can be like a cancer inside a team and the coaches need to get them out of there as soon as possible. I have not read many post the last couple days in case this has already been mentioned I apologize. Maybe we hit the portal hard as well as HS recruiting and get a bunch of new players for next year, one of the pluses of portal and NIL, we can cut the cancer out if in fact that is a problem. Present 2 year rule allowing unlimited recruiting within the 85 max will allow us to do whatever we need to do in obtaining new players and getting this problem fixed quickly, again if it is a problem.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Watching KQ of GT Rivals on YouTube recently and he said that at least some GT kids that CGC recruited seem to have an entitlement mentality, if that is the case it can be like a cancer inside a team and the coaches need to get them out of there as soon as possible. I have not read many post the last couple days in case this has already been mentioned I apologize. Maybe we hit the portal hard as well as HS recruiting and get a bunch of new players for next year, one of the pluses of portal and NIL, we can cut the cancer out if in fact that is a problem.
A plausible reason why some players are not getting the expected amount of playing time.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
A plausible reason why some players are not getting the expected amount of playing time.
This is interesting, unsurprising, and a plausible reason why some players aren't getting PT.

Also, it is a valid criticism towards the holdover coaches from the former staff- most notably HC Key- if it is, in fact, an issue. I would expect the holdover coaches to know the players' personalities and make the necessary changes to shape the culture in their vision.