Let's keep some perspective here on our NEW HC

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
As I remember it, Geoff's decision to keep Thacker after 2021 caused an uproar, but after he left and Thacker's D did much better, the decision to keep him after 2022 was far more accepted.
The fact is that this D lost most of its best talent. I understand trying something different, and I really don't know how much of our woes are coaching and how much is personnel, but we shouldn't necessarily expect things will improve markedly on D. Hope our passing game can keep us in it against Miami.
Agree on the coaching vs personnel question :unsure:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
if we don’t go bowling in year 2 and we retain key for year 3 then we are an unserious football program and need to just pack it in and take ourselves down to the socon. there’s no way to hold onto any goodwill with the remaining fanbase if we don’t go to a bowl. unless we beat uga then there would be nothing positive to hang on to for another season without a bowl
It sounds like you just don't want to see the progress;)

Depending on your definition of serious, we are already an unserious football program and have been for a long time. The Tech fanbase is largely made up of people who don't want to waste money and will pull back if they think their money is being wasted. There are too many other things they could be doing to fill their time and provide equal or more entertainment to dump excess energy and limited resources into something they aren't enjoying. People that show up to South Carolina, Nebraska, etc week after week of getting their crap pushed in, that team's performance is a significant part of their personal identity and for most Tech fans it's just not.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I think any new Head Coach should be given time.
With the caveat that you don't suck and it's not three years..ish
Not naming anybody

angry oh no GIF by CBC

Go Jackets!

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Not trying to be argumentative but I’m not sure I understand how the first year for any new coach can be considered a step back.
Well, in my opinion, we somehow managed to win 5 last year with more obstacles and what I think was a harder schedule, after firing the head coach 4 games in. I came into this year thinking we had a slightly easier schedule and a better roster and a seemingly better staff. Because of these things, I said on the prediction thread before the season started that I’d be pretty disappointed if we won less than 6. I guess I forgot that we’re Georgia Tech and these things happen to us.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but we also stubbed our toe against a really bad UVa team and got boat raced by FSU last year.
We really didn't have a lot of margin for error to start with but with a defense that can't get off the field and an offense that can't stay on it (if it repeats from last week) there is none at all.
I'd rather see how we do against Syracuse. Miami could just stomp a mudhole in us and walk it dry if they wanted to. They have the nation's best run defense (and we're having trouble running the ball consistently) and they have rejuvenated their passing attack (no need to rehash our defensive liabilities).
The Cuse is off to a good start but they are flawed too. Let's see what we do with something closer to our level of a program right now.

Dude FSU has won’t 14 straight games and we just fired our coach for going 10-28 should we have really expected not to get boat raced by FSU?

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the best that can be hoped for is to see us play sound, disciplined football, even in a loss.

Ahh the moral victory. I think that scenario is the most divisive fan base outcome Saturday (and I think that’s the most likely outcome too since we’re GT…)

On one hand, the Debby Downers group will be calling Quikrete to secure contracts to backfill BDS and end our program over the bye week due to the 2-4 start. And on the other hand, the sunshine and rainbows group will be savoring the sweet success of playing elite against an eliter team.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
If GT wins 5 or less games this year I consider it a step backwards. The most concerning thing I see is lack of adjustments or any coaching advantage. There is still time but I don’t believe there will be 6 wins and a bowl. I hope I am wrong.
Idk if 5 or less is a step backwards. We had difficulty being a 5 win team last year with the turnover margin drastically in our favor. Our D is terrible but offense and special teams are much improved. This team beats our team last year

GT Jon

Georgia Tech Fan
We have a big problem -- we do not run the football well -- our defense practices against an offense that does not run the football well -- this makes it hard to develop a physically tough football team.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
We have a big problem -- we do not run the football well -- our defense practices against an offense that does not run the football well -- this makes it hard to develop a physically tough football team.
This is accurate. Our line of scrimmage play is still awful. Key is responsible for one of those sides as the OL coach for the past few years. There is marginal improvement in pass blocking, but we still struggle at run blocking. Our DL has only shown improvement at playing pattycake. Coleman, like many of our coaches in the clown era, appears to be a bust. Maybe we need to forget about Tech men and hire the best men for the job.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Have we not already discussed this during the PJ years? I mean holy ***** our defense doesn’t go up against our first team offense scouting an opponent. Did like 80% of you guys never play sports past middle school? So our defense was sub par under PJ because they practiced against the option and now it’s subpar because we run the air raid. Lol 😂 our defense is sub par because we are running a schematic disadvantage for the type of defenders we have and will continue to be subpar until it’s fixed.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Key ok but L'ville and now ESPECIALLY BG game in which was a situation arose that he obviously wasn't ready for.How he could not adjust at halftime to change the momentum is a DAMNING mistake. (and maybe a fatal one)
Lighten up Francis…

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Tech has allowed 6 sacks in five games so far this season. Last year Tech gave up 39 sacks.

Offense is not a problem. These guys are 5 games into a new system putting up 30+ points a game. I doubt this is the whole playbook and it’s quite the coaching job.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
we were 26 point favorites vs citadel and 21-22 point favorites vs bg. it may not be as bad but saying nowhere near as bad is quite a bit of a stretch. the context of the game is also pretty important as we had a chance to finally be above .500 for the first time in 5 years and i think that would have exorcised some demons and dark clouds hanging over the program. bowling green also just came off a ridiculous loss. the thing that takes the cake though is after jumping off to a quick start we basically got blown out the rest of the way

it’s also kinda silly to say citadel did nothing special as if bowling green did anything spectacular. we just got manhandled at the point of contact on both lines and made their running back look like the lovechild of derrick henry and nick chubb getting 7 yards and dragging 5 guys with him every play

it just gets frustrating that we had a general consensus on here that this team just needed a new coach and we’d be going bowling. now we got the coach and the qb and we are still losing to opponents we were favored by 3 scores at home after paying them money, and all we hear are excuses and how we need time. it just sounds soft and foolish and people need to start holding the program accountable. i’m glad key made a swift change at dc, and whether it yields results or not i appreciate the message, but we really should not be making foolish excuses about this regime needing more time after a loss to bowling green. say that after teams like clemson, unc, miami, uga, florida state, etc. after bowling green that is embarrassing to say

FCS vs Mac its not even a contest. it is more of a indictment that we were ONLY 26 point favorites against citadel.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Ahh the moral victory. I think that scenario is the most divisive fan base outcome Saturday (and I think that’s the most likely outcome too since we’re GT…)

On one hand, the Debby Downers group will be calling Quikrete to secure contracts to backfill BDS and end our program over the bye week due to the 2-4 start. And on the other hand, the sunshine and rainbows group will be savoring the sweet success of playing elite against an eliter team.
You can gladly put me with the sunshine and rainbows group, and my guess is that as someone else said, many posters don't have a whole lot of sports in their past, but this is a sports message board so post away guys. But, here is the thing for me, the loss to BG was awful, but it was one game, one loss to an inferior team that shouldn't have happened, file it away as you may ... so, would you prefer a loss to BG, with a coach who has made us competitive in a short span and is making some rookie mistakes or still be coached by TFG ??