Let's keep some perspective here on our NEW HC

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watching KQ of GT Rivals on YouTube recently and he said that at least some GT kids that CGC recruited seem to have an entitlement mentality, if that is the case it can be like a cancer inside a team and the coaches need to get them out of there as soon as possible. I have not read many post the last couple days in case this has already been mentioned I apologize. Maybe we hit the portal hard as well as HS recruiting and get a bunch of new players for next year, one of the pluses of portal and NIL, we can cut the cancer out if in fact that is a problem. Present 2 year rule allowing unlimited recruiting within the 85 max will allow us to do whatever we need to do in obtaining new players and getting this problem fixed quickly, again if it is a problem.
You put it more bluntly than I and some others put it but I think it is absolutely the case that Collins built a roster full of players who did not work hard and believed their own hype. How quickly this mindset can be changed is debatable. Some probably welcomed the new discipline of Key but clearly others are not on board yet and may never be.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
This is interesting, unsurprising, and a plausible reason why some players aren't getting PT.

Also, it is a valid criticism towards the holdover coaches from the former staff- most notably HC Key- if it is, in fact, an issue. I would expect the holdover coaches to know the players' personalities and make the necessary changes to shape the culture in their vision.

Couldn’t agree more. And also valid criticism towards us for keeping ‘key’ (pun intended) staff from last season to this season.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Also, it is a valid criticism towards the holdover coaches from the former staff- most notably HC Key- if it is, in fact, an issue. I would expect the holdover coaches to know the players' personalities and make the necessary changes to shape the culture in their vision.
Can you be more specific regarding your expectations of "the necessary changes", aside from benching these players?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You put it more bluntly than I and some others put it but I think it is absolutely the case that Collins built a roster full of players who did not work hard and believed their own hype. How quickly this mindset can be changed is debatable. Some probably welcomed the new discipline of Key but clearly others are not on board yet and may never be.
The hardest thing for a new coach is to take over from a so call players coach (soft on the players) . Ask coach Ross.takes time to get your players in your system

Jolly Good Fellow
noon at oconee bistro ( they fly a GT flag )last Wednesday of every month. We’ll have coach Curry as the speaker this month.
In light of the passing of **** Butkus, you might ask Bill if he'd share any of his memories of playing against him.
Coach Curry told us during an OL meeting in 1976 that Butkus was the only guy that he ever had to block who "frightened" him.....

Jolly Good Fellow
In light of the passing of **** Butkus, you might ask Bill if he'd share any of his memories of playing against him.
Coach Curry told us during an OL meeting in 1976 that Butkus was the only guy that he ever had to block who "frightened" him.....
.... I typed Butkus's first name...which was D I C K......and it came up ****..... has the whole world gone f**king mad?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
wow--I've seen"ugly" wins" but this takes the cake.-and what trumps that is "ANY win is better than no win" --thankfully. I've watched Tech for over 65yrs and I've never seen a stranger game and there have been some odd ones. I would rather have a team that "beats" other teams than one that has the other team beat themselves but that is a natural part of this human experience and certainly I'll take it and move on...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
we were 26 point favorites vs citadel and 21-22 point favorites vs bg. it may not be as bad but saying nowhere near as bad is quite a bit of a stretch. the context of the game is also pretty important as we had a chance to finally be above .500 for the first time in 5 years and i think that would have exorcised some demons and dark clouds hanging over the program. bowling green also just came off a ridiculous loss. the thing that takes the cake though is after jumping off to a quick start we basically got blown out the rest of the way

it’s also kinda silly to say citadel did nothing special as if bowling green did anything spectacular. we just got manhandled at the point of contact on both lines and made their running back look like the lovechild of derrick henry and nick chubb getting 7 yards and dragging 5 guys with him every play

it just gets frustrating that we had a general consensus on here that this team just needed a new coach and we’d be going bowling. now we got the coach and the qb and we are still losing to opponents we were favored by 3 scores at home after paying them money, and all we hear are excuses and how we need time. it just sounds soft and foolish and people need to start holding the program accountable. i’m glad key made a swift change at dc, and whether it yields results or not i appreciate the message, but we really should not be making foolish excuses about this regime needing more time after a loss to bowling green. say that after teams like clemson, unc, miami, uga, florida state, etc. after bowling green that is embarrassing to say
btw--BG was behind big the next game they played after us

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
wow--I've seen"ugly" wins" but this takes the cake.-and what trumps that is "ANY win is better than no win" --thankfully. I've watched Tech for over 65yrs and I've never seen a stranger game and there have been some odd ones. I would rather have a team that "beats" other teams than one that has the other team beat themselves but that is a natural part of this human experience and certainly I'll take it and move on...
Yep.

I’m reminded of the expression: “luck is where preparation meets opportunity.”

That was 100% an ugly win. And painful to watch at times. And yes - the other team deciding to not kneel down ultimately led to their losing the game.

But (I think I said this somewhere else) - every close loss is a chain of events. Break one link in the chain, and you win it.

And on the flipside, every close win is a chain of events. But this time, you're building the chain. And if you don't build enough links, you lose it.

Our boys were in the business of making a chain on Saturday. We hung in there, and we kept making plays. And meanwhile, Miami had several opportunities to break the chain - and they didn't capitalize on them. We won not because of the ugly ending, but because of the maximum effort we put up throughout the game. We were prepared, and when opportunity arose, we were right there to pounce on it. So while that was a painful game to watch at times, and had a lot of ugly moments, damn it was good to see our guys out-fight another team. We wanted it more. And it paid off. I'll definitely take the W, but also the effort. Any day, I'll take that. Was thrilled to see it, and hope we keep it up!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yep.

I’m reminded of the expression: “luck is where preparation meets opportunity.”

That was 100% an ugly win. And painful to watch at times. And yes - the other team deciding to not kneel down ultimately led to their losing the game.

But (I think I said this somewhere else) - every close loss is a chain of events. Break one link in the chain, and you win it.

And on the flipside, every close win is a chain of events. But this time, you're building the chain. And if you don't build enough links, you lose it.

Our boys were in the business of making a chain on Saturday. We hung in there, and we kept making plays. And meanwhile, Miami had several opportunities to break the chain - and they didn't capitalize on them. We won not because of the ugly ending, but because of the maximum effort we put up throughout the game. We were prepared, and when opportunity arose, we were right there to pounce on it. So while that was a painful game to watch at times, and had a lot of ugly moments, damn it was good to see our guys out-fight another team. We wanted it more. And it paid off. I'll definitely take the W, but also the effort. Any day, I'll take that. Was thrilled to see it, and hope we keep it up!!
Like we say in golf: it's not the pictures, it's the numbers.

GTJohn70

Georgia Tech Fan
Frankly, I am very happy with Brent Key as HC. I never wanted Dion - not my kind of person. CBK is a real person, cares about GT and the players and will do what is best for both. I think we will be seeing him for a long time if we can come up with the dollars because he will be successful and will not burn through players likes some other HCs. Sure, I like winning and I think CBK can get us there in a quality manner.

JacketFan137

Banned
btw--BG was behind big the next game they played after us
yeah this is just one of the most confusing losses i think i’ve ever seen. sandwiched between wake and miami just makes it all the more weird. i think boston college may be one of the biggest MUST win games in recent tech history cause 2 acc wins in a row and getting to 4-3 would get the ball rolling a little

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, I am very happy with Brent Key as HC. I never wanted Dion - not my kind of person. CBK is a real person, cares about GT and the players and will do what is best for both. I think we will be seeing him for a long time if we can come up with the dollars because he will be successful and will not burn through players likes some other HCs. Sure, I like winning and I think CBK can get us there in a quality manner.
I like Key as GT coach. Actually do some serious reading on Deion. He is way more than the media image. He is excellent in growing his players into men.