Venables at Ok first year 6-7

And then there are:
Elliott at UVA - first year 3-7
second year 0-5
Pry at VT - first year 3-8
second year 2-3

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you, I like CBK a lot and want him to succeed. I think the one gripe and difference than a whole new guy coming in is that he's been on this staff for years now and he kept a DC that had no real success. Hope we can finish with 5 wins this year and coach makes some changes on the defensive staff in the off season. I think it has been mentioned before, but has Marco Coleman ever coached an elite DL? Seems like he's a great recruiter, but I think that needs to be looked at as well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If I felt that there was a plan in place that would lead to better results in the future or if Key had a rep for resurrecting programs by such a plan, I would feel a lot better. I keep harping on Clawson and Wake for a reason: they had a plan based on player development and a sound offensive system for getting Wake back into the conversation and they executed it successfully. They produced teams that consistently were based on red-shirt juniors and seniors with a few additions. The recent results on the field justified the pain of the early years; Clawson's first two teams went 3 - 7. Wake still has losing seasons, but they are more and more rare.

If I had an idea of what the staff actually wanted to do and how they wanted to do it, I would feel a lot better about Tech's future course. And here I don't mean coach speak; I mean an actual description of where Tech is planning to go and how the coaches plan to get there. At present what I see is a team that is trying to do things it hasn't the talent to do at a school that is unlikely to attract that talent in future, This worries me no end.

GTflyer0116

Georgia Tech Fan
Part of me thought that with NIL / Transfer Portal we could be players ‘come back home to GA’ 2nd school as a lot of guys are lured out of state out of high school. The problem with this is you never develop a ‘team’ and really build a program year over year.

I also like Wake’s approach to building under Clawson but I wonder how many ‘senior’ players he will be able to hold onto when better programs come calling their junior / senior years. NIL could kill that approach.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Part of me thought that with NIL / Transfer Portal we could be players ‘come back home to GA’ 2nd school as a lot of guys are lured out of state out of high school. The problem with this is you never develop a ‘team’ and really build a program year over year.

I also like Wake’s approach to building under Clawson but I wonder how many ‘senior’ players he will be able to hold onto when better programs come calling their junior / senior years. NIL could kill that approach.
Heck, you could say that has already happened with Hartman at ND now.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Heck, you could say that has already happened with Hartman at ND now.
Hartman graduated from WF, and is playing for ND as a graduate assistant.
We've often struggled to keep graduates here even if they have eligibility left, due to graduate admittance requirements and narrow major choices. The "Covid Year" of extra eligibility is soon to age off the books, but some players like Hartman are in their 6th year.
Another challenge for us is that our 3-stars that we develop into good players may graduate in 3 seasons, thus it's difficult to have many RS senior linemen.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
If I felt that there was a plan in place that would lead to better results in the future or if Key had a rep for resurrecting programs by such a plan, I would feel a lot better. I keep harping on Clawson and Wake for a reason: they had a plan based on player development and a sound offensive system for getting Wake back into the conversation and they executed it successfully. They produced teams that consistently were based on red-shirt juniors and seniors with a few additions. The recent results on the field justified the pain of the early years; Clawson's first two teams went 3 - 7. Wake still has losing seasons, but they are more and more rare.

If I had an idea of what the staff actually wanted to do and how they wanted to do it, I would feel a lot better about Tech's future course. And here I don't mean coach speak; I mean an actual description of where Tech is planning to go and how the coaches plan to get there. At present what I see is a team that is trying to do things it hasn't the talent to do at a school that is unlikely to attract that talent in future, This worries me no end.
I agree with that, but I am being patient............for now.:cautious:

JacketFan137

Banned
what does this even mean lol? not being ranked in the 120s in basically every defensive category and cutting back on special teams gaffs is not something we need 5* recruits to do.

if this is about our offense i would say our offense is actually showing some promise it just took getting a good offensive coordinator and a good qb to get it done.

i really don’t wanna assume what you’re saying here but i think we all know what you are insinuating

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
what does this even mean lol? not being ranked in the 120s in basically every defensive category and cutting back on special teams gaffs is not something we need 5* recruits to do.

if this is about our offense i would say our offense is actually showing some promise it just took getting a good offensive coordinator and a good qb to get it done.

i really don’t wanna assume what you’re saying here but i think we all know what you are insinuating
Being a (relatively) new HC, I thought all the experienced analysts might reduce the learning curve, and they still might, IMO. I think I overestimated what he , or virtually anyone, could do to bring this defense back to respectable. The depth is so minimal, and the inability to make a play to get themselves off the field, leads to quick meltdowns in the 2nd and 4th quarters particularly.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I just did some quick research on a few coaches who now seem awesome:
Norvell at FSU- first year 5-7
Cristobal at UM - first year 5-7
Smart at UGA- first year 8-5
Sarkisian at UT - first year 5-7
Kiffin at Ole Miss- first year 5-5
Heupel at UTn- first year 7-6
Kelly at UCLA - first year 3-9
second year 4-8
third year 8-4
fourth year 9-4

All of these guys had a years long track record of success as at least a coordinator at the college level prior to the years cited here. Kirby is the only one who didn't have head coach experience. The rest did and it was generally pretty good experience. CBK doesn't have anywhere near that kind of track record so I don't think this is a useful comparison.

slugboy

Staff member
Key hired mostly journeyman or young coaches.

Often, when someone is sitting in the big chair for the first time, they have one advisor who has been there and done that for a while. I’m not sure who Key’s mentor/consigliere is

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
All of these guys had a years long track record of success as at least a coordinator at the college level prior to the years cited here. Kirby is the only one who didn't have head coach experience. The rest did and it was generally pretty good experience. CBK doesn't have anywhere near that kind of track record so I don't think this is a useful comparison.
Ok. How would you compare him to others in their ( almost ) first year? CBK had some pretty good experience with some VERY good coaches.
Looking forward to your reply......seriously.:)
Also, it would seem we are better off than VT and UVA who hired co-ordinators.

Last edited:

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
second year 4-8
third year 8-4
fourth year 9-4

And then there are:
second year 0-5
second year 2-3
I would add to that:
Bobby Ross-first year 2-9
Second year 3-8
and Bobby Dodd first year 4-6
Also, George O’Leary 6-8 through his first 1 1/2 years after taking over for the other TFG.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

NIL HAS killed that approach for talented players

Eli

Helluva Engineer
second year 4-8
third year 8-4
fourth year 9-4

And then there are:
second year 0-5
second year 2-3

James Franklin: 6-7 at Vandy
7-6 Penn State
7-6 Penn State
Nick Saban: 6-6 Alabama
Michigan State:
1: 6-5
2: 6-6
3: 7-5
4: 6-6
5: 9-2
LSU
1: 8-4

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
second year 4-8
third year 8-4
fourth year 9-4

And then there are:
second year 0-5
second year 2-3
People were making the same post when Collins first started.

Honestly, I just want Key to succeed for GT’s sake.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look I know our fans are sick of losing and the last coach didn't help. But you have to giving a coach time to get his players in the system. And of course we have a few on here who wanted another coach and ain't going to be happy without the one they wanted. And we have a few who want to fire a coach after 1 year, At one time college coaches would tell you it takes 4 years to get all the players into their system. Now you have the Transfer portal that comes into play. So, I guess you could say it may not take 4 years maybe 3, but here at Tech you have to look at the ones we will lose. no one wants to lose but if you replace a coach every year or two things will never get better here. Not many want to come to a place like Tech and we really don't pay that great to great a great big-name coach.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Key hired mostly journeyman or young coaches.

Often, when someone is sitting in the big chair for the first time, they have one advisor who has been there and done that for a while. I’m not sure who Key’s mentor/consigliere is
Seems like I heard Key himself say it has been GOL. Think he recently said it at a GT presser that GOL was attending, although the camera did not show GOL himself but there were press there when he said it. I'm guessing GOL likes doing this in his retirement. Does he now live at Oconee, at least part of the year?