Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
So how is that different than the way we looked against Clemson and UGA last year with the option?

Oh you’re absolutely right, not much difference in the outcome with how we’re playing now vs then. But doing something different and unique, something difficult to simulate and prepare for, gives you a fighting chance to win. Don’t get me wrong, the uga’s and Clemson’s of the world are gonna beat us more often than not (they are more talented and care about football more as part of their culture), but you’re more likely to be a tough out for them when you do something different.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't like the idea of a coaching change, but CPJ must address the passing capability... There is no reason why other "run first" teams like Army, Air Force, New Mexico, etc have more competent passers than what GTech has. He should have left TQM at Aback and proceeded with Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, etc. Clearly Lucas Johnson is the most accomplished passer and they should have gone that direction.

I think he did the right thing to address the defense, but the passing game is clearly killing Georgia Tech. Lots of points, plays, and yards being left out there because of it.

Last year, I had the same idea that other run-heavy teams were more effective passing than we were. As I recall, it turned out Army and Navy passed less than us, for fewer yards and a lower completion rate, even in a horrible year for us. Same with the other teams I lumped in the same category with us.

TaQuon has been one of the less effective passing QBs for CPJ, but he’s still ahead of the Gailey pro-set QBs. Our passing game has a lot of room for improvement, but it’s not simple around here to improve it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We’ve made a modest commitment to improve recruiting through adding staff. Unfortunately, there is no immediate payoff. Recruiting is built on relationships built over time. However, in our case, it also includes identifying a greater number of kids that both fit our very unique student profile and are athletic enough to consistently make plays on the field. There’s just not very many true scholar athletes out there.

A look into the future for me is seeing if we can make any headway in finding more of these unique individuals. We must do this to be successful regardless of who our coach is.
Agreed !!

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Why I've always liked the option is it gives teams like tech a scheme advantage. We will never out recruit uga Clemson bama fsu etc.. my entire problem with Paul is game management and the inability to focus on other parts of the team other than his offense

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Chasing national titles is a fools errand for the most part... In this day and age a few programs just have too much talent to overcome. Its kind of unfortunate but is what it is. Proof:

Alabama
Clemson
Alabama
Ohio State
Florida State
Alabama
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama
Florida
Texas
USC
USC
Ohio State
Miami
Oklahoma

Thats the new "modern" era... Not only is it the same teams winning it every year... its really the same teams truly competing for it. Bama, OSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, etc. The talent going to these programs is unbelievable, and it really leaves everyone else in the dust.

Which begs the question.... what is the goal of the football program? To become the new Bama? Is it for the kids and the community? Is it to make money for all the school athletic programs? Is Kansas, Utah State, Tulane, Syracuse, Wake Forest, etc legitimate goal to compete for a championship once every 25 years? Or is it to just be solid and entertaining?

The general public seems to have this "national championship or nothing" approach.... If you think that way, you might as well go down to the store and buy a Bama, USC, OSU, etc jersey and root for them because it just aint gonna happen at most programs.

I had not really thought about this but the evidence you present is irrefutable. The rest of us literally have no chance of competing for titles which really begs the question for most programs, what then, is the point? To the names you have listed there are a few elite factory type schools that have not tasted glory with a national championship but certainly have the resources and the recruiting bases to do so. LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, UGA, Michigan, and Penn State to name a few. So realistically you have about 17 to 21 teams that are in the universe of national title contenders.

I am beginning to think with the rampant cheating, paying players, academic shenanigans, bagmen, and the like associated with these "institutions of higher learning", perhaps it would be better for certain teams to cut ties with the NCAA which has become a laughingstock and form their own league.

I am thinking primarily of colleges that are willing to maintain a semblance of academic integrity, adhere to an agreed SAT and high school scholastic record standard and simply withdraw from the rat race of football factories that are no better than pro football minor leagues. To be sure, this is admittedly nothing more than wistful thinking on my part but I am thinking about primarily the private universities like Duke, Wake Forest, SMU, Northwestern, the military academies, Tech, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, perhaps some others like Virginia, Tulane, Temple, and others that see through the hypocrisy that is currently going on. On the other hand, it is likely that the lure of easy money would be too hard to resist and therefore the aforementioned would continue to be punching bags for the factories to varying degrees.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I want a guy who can really recruit and has ties to the state. Someone mentioned Mel Tucker. That would be an interesting hire. He would really help us in recruiting and pull a few coaches out of Athens with him as Kirby did Bama. Good coaches from small schools scare me a little. Yea they can coach but do they really know how to recruit on this level. We hired a guy who is a good coach that can’t recruit (CPJ). Even if the guy we hire doesn’t work out maybe he forces GT to level the playing field in recruiting and it helps us in the long run.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am beginning to think with the rampant cheating, paying players, academic shenanigans, bagmen, and the like associated with these "institutions of higher learning", perhaps it would be better for certain teams to cut ties with the NCAA which has become a laughingstock and form their own league.

I am thinking primarily of colleges that are willing to maintain a semblance of academic integrity, adhere to an agreed SAT and high school scholastic record standard and simply withdraw from the rat race of football factories that are no better than pro football minor leagues. To be sure, this is admittedly nothing more than wistful thinking on my part but I am thinking about primarily the private universities like Duke, Wake Forest, SMU, Northwestern, the military academies, Tech, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, perhaps some others like Virginia, Tulane, Temple, and others that see through the hypocrisy that is currently going on. On the other hand, it is likely that the lure of easy money would be too hard to resist and therefore the aforementioned would continue to be punching bags for the factories to varying degrees.

How do you promote a league like that? I think we, as a society, are competitive. I think people who accepted the challenges of Tech are competitive. No matter what, this would look like "taking our ball" and going home so the mean kids don't pick on us. There is a reason minor league professional teams or things like the Web.com Tour don't draw all that well. People know that they aren't seeing the best of the best.

I have been, and will continue to be of the mindset that we as an institute should do what we are trained to do. Identify and then fix the problems. We seem to have this sense that the problem is "too large" for us, which flies in the face of our education at Tech.I thinking dropping down in the level of competition is NOT the way to tackle the issues. It is a way to circumvent them. But it won't sell.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Y'all sit and think about it for a minute hell go get a drink get me one

Y'all have all these names of who you want but you know they would pick someone you don't know and you will need to google his name to find anything about him. happen all the time every where.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be turned off as a fan if we hired Kiffin. He hasn't done anything wrong rules wise as far as I know, but he doesn't seem like he's completely on the level. He might be, but I don't want to be the team that finds out. The worst possible outcome would be for GT Football to become GT Basketball where we are cheating and still suck. If you're going to suck, suck the right way. If you're going to cheat, win. Don't bring me another Coach Pastner and expect me to still be a fan.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I would be turned off as a fan if we hired Kiffin. He hasn't done anything wrong rules wise as far as I know, but he doesn't seem like he's completely on the level. He might be, but I don't want to be the team that finds out. The worst possible outcome would be for GT Football to become GT Basketball where we are cheating and still suck. If you're going to suck, suck the right way. If you're going to cheat, win. Don't bring me another Coach Pastner and expect me to still be a fan.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How do you promote a league like that? I think we, as a society, are competitive. I think people who accepted the challenges of Tech are competitive. No matter what, this would look like "taking our ball" and going home so the mean kids don't pick on us. There is a reason minor league professional teams or things like the Web.com Tour don't draw all that well. People know that they aren't seeing the best of the best.

I have been, and will continue to be of the mindset that we as an institute should do what we are trained to do. Identify and then fix the problems. We seem to have this sense that the problem is "too large" for us, which flies in the face of our education at Tech.I thinking dropping down in the level of competition is NOT the way to tackle the issues. It is a way to circumvent them. But it won't sell.

I am not really serious about "promoting a league" such as this but consider the way the NCAA treats blatant violations such as Miami's infamous "Hos and Bos" or the constant payment of players by UGA, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, among others with what they have done to Tech over minor transgressions or heaven help Tulane or Iowa State. They would nuke those programs into oblivion for buying a recruit a milkshake. North Carolina is not called by some on this site "UNCheat" for nothing. My post was venting my frustrations over the way the factories are treated compared with the lesser programs. If I were king for a day, so to speak, and could control the NCAA I would levy the death penalty and then some on Alabama, UGA, UNC, Ole Miss, Auburn, LSU, FSU, Miami, and probably a few others that deserve to have their programs reduced to ashes and let them see what it is like to compete with say 15 scholarships per year, no bowls, no television, no nothing for let us say 5 years? No, let's be generous how about 10 years. . Try that on for size.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Hey Ron. Lol

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I had not really thought about this but the evidence you present is irrefutable. The rest of us literally have no chance of competing for titles which really begs the question for most programs, what then, is the point? To the names you have listed there are a few elite factory type schools that have not tasted glory with a national championship but certainly have the resources and the recruiting bases to do so. LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, UGA, Michigan, and Penn State to name a few. So realistically you have about 17 to 21 teams that are in the universe of national title contenders.

It seems like a good majority of the folks on this site are against watering down the current majors but are not necessarily against the addition of new majors. Leverage my friends is how you create change and to accomplish the change that we need you have to be vocal and public about it.

We have an initial news release to a couple of old friends who now have significant presence in the media, Wes Durham and Tom Luginbill. With Wes we can craft and cultivate the message we want to spin and get it out there for consumption before the bias hacks can begin their smear job.

The message is simple, Georgia Tech is an institution formed on excellence. We are using the desire for excellence to implore the Board of Regents to allow Georgia Tech to add several non-Stem majors to the choices that Georgia Tech students can elect. People may be aware that over 60% of Georgia Tech graduates move outside of the State of Georgia upon graduation. While some of this may be by choice the reality is there are not enough engineering jobs in the State of Georgia. In other words, your tax dollars are going to educate our young men and woman and when they graduate, they move out of state and the taxes on their starting salary of $xx,xxx are being paid to another state. Critics may say that the non-STEM majors are not part of the mission of Georgia Tech but as we look forward we believe that Georgia Tech should be allowed to extend our curriculum similar to how the University of Georgia was allowed to begin a college of engineering.

At Georgia Tech we are not afraid of a little competition and believe that excellence is a key part of our DNA. That excellence will always extend to the s classroom and boardroom but unfortunetely that excellence has evaded us in the field of athletics. We are appealing to you the Board of Regents, comprised of nine UGA graduates and there Georgia Tech graduates to approve this request for non-STEM majors at Georgia Tech. We all know that non-STEM majors are the chosen course of study for XX% of today's student athletes.

We therefore urge the Board of Regents to immediately approve our request to expand our academic curriculum to ensure excellence in all endeavors at the premier school of higher learning in the State of Georgia. Should this request be rejected we will take that as a sign that you do not believe in a fair playing field, in the classroom or on the athletic field and leave Georgia Tech no choice but to terminate all athletic competitions with the University of Georgia effective August 1, 2019. u

This is a draft but a position we should take, the playing field is unfair and it is damn time we do something about it.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%, and I will add that the Hewitt buyout is an example of money wasted. Most of us were all for it at the time, but looking back I doubt Hewitt would have had a worse record during the years remaining on his contract than what we actually had during that time. Money down the drain.
Except thx to Dave brainless hewitt's contract was a perpetual rollover unless you fired him. At the end his teams were horrible. He recruited a lot of talent but he couldn't do much with them at the end. Couldn't even coach them to get the freakin ball inbounds.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Assuming Venables isn't a viable option. Also want someone that will employ an entertaining brand of offense that kids may want to come play in.

1. Mike Yurcich, Oklahoma State, OC
2. Neal Brown, Troy, HC
3. Jake Spavital, West Virginia, OC
No way venables is ever coming here unless he's coaching the visiting team.