Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yes he's such a great recruiter that he intentionally committed recruiting violations at Tennessee so that he could get his name out there. He actually said it in an interview. If he could not recruit at Tennessee why would you think he could recruit at Tech?
Lane Kiffin wouldn't ever give GT the time of day................................sadly

Last edited:
Two things.

1. Who wants to come here will dictate who we can get.

2. If you fire CPJ you better have enough $$ to hire a head coach, an OC, a DC, and a whole new staff. Hiring a head coach and not having enough money to get them the staff to support is the worst thing to do. CPJ faced this when he was hired, so if you want “better” you are looking at millions of $$ beyond the head coach position.

I am as frustrated as everyone else, but if you can only hire a HC and not give them the staff they want we will be bottom fishing. It isn’t likely to bring more success than what we have now and we would be better off further investing in what we have now. I realize my opinion is not popular right now, but it is a realistic view of what is needed for the “change” everyone is advocating.

One of the most rational posts I have read in the last 12 hours. Why don't we see where we are later in the year. We just changed the defense and yesterday showed a lot of improvement.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Two things.

1. Who wants to come here will dictate who we can get.

2. If you fire CPJ you better have enough $$ to hire a head coach, an OC, a DC, and a whole new staff. Hiring a head coach and not having enough money to get them the staff to support is the worst thing to do. CPJ faced this when he was hired, so if you want “better” you are looking at millions of $$ beyond the head coach position.

I am as frustrated as everyone else, but if you can only hire a HC and not give them the staff they want we will be bottom fishing. It isn’t likely to bring more success than what we have now and we would be better off further investing in what we have now. I realize my opinion is not popular right now, but it is a realistic view of what is needed for the “change” everyone is advocating.

The DC can stay and can keep who he wants on his staff. The HC can hire any offensive staff he wants. VT did it with Fuente.

CPJ’s buyout is $4 million. That’s no ot insurmountable.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The DC can stay and can keep who he wants on his staff. The HC can hire any offensive staff he wants. VT did it with Fuente.

CPJ’s buyout is $4 million. That’s no ot insurmountable.

It’s all got to match though. A new HC may not want Nate’s system or Nate may not want to stay. If a new HC can’t hire the staff he wants, we will not be any more successful. I really like Nate, and I think he is improving things on D, but our D strategy has to match what we want to do on offense. This is something that finally got fixed this year IMO.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It’s all got to match though. A new HC may not want Nate’s system or Nate may not want to stay. If a new HC can’t hire the staff he wants, we will not be any more successful. I really like Nate, and I think he is improving things on D, but our D strategy has to match what we want to do on offense. This is something that finally got fixed this year IMO.
Coach Woody would stay for Scott Satterfield since they're friends

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys may need to take a deep breath and come to the realization that we probably are not going to fire CPJ regardless of the outcome. I've posted this in the other thread already, but we flat out don't have the money for the buyout. TStan is trying very hard to dig us out of the hole that our previous three AD's put us in with the Hewitt and Gregory scenarios, and shelling out 2-3 million to drop CPJ and then pay another coach (probably more than we're paying CPJ today) is not going to move us any closer to that goal...in fact it would probably dig the program into an even deeper hole.

Like it or not (and right now I'm in the don't like it camp), we are going to have to gut it out with him for another few years until we are more financially stable. The only hope is if the big money guys decide to pool some money and just pay him off in a lump sum...but that would be a surprise IMO

Agree 100%, and I will add that the Hewitt buyout is an example of money wasted. Most of us were all for it at the time, but looking back I doubt Hewitt would have had a worse record during the years remaining on his contract than what we actually had during that time. Money down the drain.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%, and I will add that the Hewitt buyout is an example of money wasted. Most of us were all for it at the time, but looking back I doubt Hewitt would have had a worse record during the years remaining on his contract than what we actually had during that time. Money down the drain.

I understand what you guys are saying, but you have to figure in lost revenue from empty seats and just the perception of the fanbase. Change sells. It is simply not realistic to keep a coach around for years once he has lost a certain amount of the fans. Which is why almost no one does it, but instead schools move heaven and earth to raise buyout money. We will just have to make a better hire than Gregory.

My top 10 head coaching Candidates for GT

Scott Satterfield Head Coach Appalachian State
Mike Houston Head Coach James Madison
John Grass Head Coach Jacksonville State
Neal Brown Head Coach Troy
John Candle Head Coach Toledo
Bob Neilson Head Coach South Dakota
John Stiegelmeier Head Coach South Dakota State
Josh Gattis Co-Offensive Coordinator Alabama
Mike Locksley Co-Offensive Coordinator Alabama
Ricky Rahne Offensive Coordinator Penn State
Locksley is an absolute scumbag. Just look at his tenure at New Mexico. He needs to be avoided. Otherwise, not a bad list.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys may need to take a deep breath and come to the realization that we probably are not going to fire CPJ regardless of the outcome. I've posted this in the other thread already, but we flat out don't have the money for the buyout. TStan is trying very hard to dig us out of the hole that our previous three AD's put us in with the Hewitt and Gregory scenarios, and shelling out 2-3 million to drop CPJ and then pay another coach (probably more than we're paying CPJ today) is not going to move us any closer to that goal...in fact it would probably dig the program into an even deeper hole.

Like it or not (and right now I'm in the don't like it camp), we are going to have to gut it out with him for another few years until we are more financially stable. The only hope is if the big money guys decide to pool some money and just pay him off in a lump sum...but that would be a surprise IMO

We had the opportunity to gut it out. We instead decided to extend a coach because he needed it rather than earned it, and it's costing us now. It's the same mistake that was made with gregory. And with gregory we followed that up by keeping him a year longer, at least, than we should have, and the extension that was intended to show recruits the coach would still be there, didn't mean anything because the coach who couldn't recruit anyways wasn't fooling anyone into believing he'd be here long term.

We're at the point where we know the decision needs to be made so it needs to be made, not put off two years.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Sonny Cumbie TCU oc is a name I'd like to see mentioned. Young, would be cheap, supposed to be a good recruiter and I love the way tcu plays. I'm not sure we could get the type of athlete required to run his system though.

My top choice would be Venables.

Other possible hires for GT that would be good

Bob Shoop Defensive Coordinator Miss State
Cale Gundy Co Offensive Coordinator Oklahoma
Bill Bedenbaugh Co Offensive Coordinator Oklahoma
Greg Schiano Defensive Coordinator Ohio State
Bush Hamdan Offensive Coordinator Washington and former Falcons QB Coach

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I think you can bank on a change happening if we don’t make a bowl game. Right now that looks very possible. So what do you all think we need if we are searching for a new coach. For me it’s easy, a young, energetic guy who can recruit and has a scheme players love. My top 3 are Lane Kiffin, Neal Brown and Seth Littrell
Brent Key

herb

Helluva Engineer
Other possible hires for GT that would be good

Bob Shoop Defensive Coordinator Miss State
Cale Gundy Co Offensive Coordinator Oklahoma
Bill Bedenbaugh Co Offensive Coordinator Oklahoma
Greg Schiano Defensive Coordinator Ohio State
Bush Hamdan Offensive Coordinator Washington and former Falcons QB Coach

Come on Mike, now you are trolling. :) You of all people know the absolute $#@& storm that happened when schiano was “hired” at Tennessee

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Come on Mike, now you are trolling. :) You of all people know the absolute $#@& storm that happened when schiano was “hired” at Tennessee
I don't think GT fans would go as psycho as the Tennessee fans did however he would probably be toward the bottom of the list of candidates;)I would rather have Bob Shoop than him however:cool: Bob did so poorly at Tennessee because Botch Jones was the defacto Defensive Coordinator:rolleyes: