Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been a big defender of CPJ, and I’m always slow to join the “fire _____” chorus. I don’t think he has suddenly forgotten how to coach.

That said, I agree with you that it seems the end is drawing near. The reason I think that is because I think Stansbury wants to make his mark. He hasn’t hired a coach yet (I don’t think).

You can’t go out and raise money, like he is trying to do right now, without being able to paint a vision of a positive direction.

If Todd came and met with any of you right now and asked for your contribution, how comfortable would you feel stroking a check?

I bet there’s more people that would stroke a check based on a promise of a new direction, versus investing in the current one.
This is a big problem right now. No clear vision. He is trying to raise 120 million for this AD initiative drive. When I called to discuss with someone in the GTAA, I asked what he is raising the money for and he said facilities and the AD's discretion. It would be helpful for him to be clearer about "AD discretion".

slugboy

Staff member
You should be able to figure out “AD discretion” without more hints
Also, TStan has been transparent about ideas for the future of our program

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a big possibility that CPJ will be canned in December if GT has another losing season and it will be deserved

Mike, of all the matter of fact things you say (Duke will go 6-6 and meet Minnesota in the Sun bowl, or something like that) I find it humorous you added that CPJ's firing is only a big possibility. I don't disagree, just think it's funny.

Someone said it earlier, but we literally just got beat by Charlie Strong and a team full of worse recruits. Strong is familiar with Florida from his time there as DC, and made relationships while at Louisville and Texas. Someone like Tom Herman might burn bridges when he leaves, but Strong is high character enough for most of you that he's still got good relationships where he would need them if he were to coach at Tech.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Mike, of all the matter of fact things you say (Duke will go 6-6 and meet Minnesota in the Sun bowl, or something like that) I find it humorous you added that CPJ's firing is only a big possibility. I don't disagree, just think it's funny.

Someone said it earlier, but we literally just got beat by Charlie Strong and a team full of worse recruits. Strong is familiar with Florida from his time there as DC, and made relationships while at Louisville and Texas. Someone like Tom Herman might burn bridges when he leaves, but Strong is high character enough for most of you that he's still got good relationships where he would need them if he were to coach at Tech.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and if you don't like mine i couldn't care any less:yawn:

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like the idea of a coaching change, but CPJ must address the passing capability... There is no reason why other "run first" teams like Army, Air Force, New Mexico, etc have more competent passers than what GTech has. He should have left TQM at Aback and proceeded with Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, etc. Clearly Lucas Johnson is the most accomplished passer and they should have gone that direction.

I think he did the right thing to address the defense, but the passing game is clearly killing Georgia Tech. Lots of points, plays, and yards being left out there because of it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If a decision is made after the season that it is time to move on - which imo would require a losing record, Johnson's buyout would be $4MM. $1MM for each of the 4 remaining years on his contract.

Hewitt's 900K/yr buyout finally comes off the books next spring so if the decision is made to make a move you simply move the money you are assigning to Hewitt to Johnson and you really haven't affected your finances at all.

Most of the names mentioned here imo would be hired at a rate far below what Johnson is currently making (at least 0.5MM). You could take the HC savings and put that into assts and recruiting staff.

Here's the full salary for some of the ACC HC's.
Dabo, Clem $8.5MM
Taggart, FSU $5.0MM
Richt, Miami $4.1MM+
Petrino, L'ville $3.9MM
Mendnehall, UVA $3.4MM
Fuente, VT $3.3MM
Johnson, GT $3.0MM
Cutcliffe, Duke $2.6MM
Addazio, BC $2.4MM
Babers, Syr $2.4MM
Fedora, UNC $2.3MM
Doreen, NCSU $2.2MM
Clawson, Wake $1.8MM
Narduzzi, Pitt $1.8MM

My expectation is that unless a move was made to hire a big name, we would end up in the $2.2-2.5MM range.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Does this conversation really matter. CPJ will retire at some point and he may take us to another Orange Bowl before he does. I have come to the realization over my 48 years of watching Tech Football, that no matter who is the coach, we are a 7-5 program. What CPJ has done is frankly out of character for us. Unless Tech decides to change it's academics and offer a true liberal arts degree, we are were we are at and you know what, I am ok with it because this is what makes us different than all the other football schools out there. This is what CPJ has done with his offense. We are the most feared offense in College football. Did you not hear yesterday that Pitt dedicates a part of every practice to us.

so who would be my pick..Jeff Monken.

No personal disrespect here, but were we taught at Tech that mediocre is acceptable? My frustration is that Tech does not expect its football team to be as good as its graduates.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Chasing national titles is a fools errand for the most part... In this day and age a few programs just have too much talent to overcome. Its kind of unfortunate but is what it is. Proof:

Alabama
Clemson
Alabama
Ohio State
Florida State
Alabama
Alabama
Auburn
Alabama
Florida
Texas
USC
USC
Ohio State
Miami
Oklahoma

Thats the new "modern" era... Not only is it the same teams winning it every year... its really the same teams truly competing for it. Bama, OSU, Georgia, Oklahoma, etc. The talent going to these programs is unbelievable, and it really leaves everyone else in the dust.

Which begs the question.... what is the goal of the football program? To become the new Bama? Is it for the kids and the community? Is it to make money for all the school athletic programs? Is Kansas, Utah State, Tulane, Syracuse, Wake Forest, etc legitimate goal to compete for a championship once every 25 years? Or is it to just be solid and entertaining?

The general public seems to have this "national championship or nothing" approach.... If you think that way, you might as well go down to the store and buy a Bama, USC, OSU, etc jersey and root for them because it just aint gonna happen at most programs.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
If any of you want to know what we’re going to look like in the post-CPJ, post-Option era, look at GaSo vs Clemson yesterday. Doing the same things the big boys are doing on offense but with drastically less talent. If our kids were really ballers/playmakers or what-not, they probably wouldn’t be at GT... they’d be at Clemson and the like.

Not unless they really enjoyed differential equations... IIWII.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If any of you want to know what we’re going to look like in the post-CPJ, post-Option era, look at GaSo vs Clemson yesterday. Doing the same things the big boys are doing on offense but with drastically less talent. If our kids were really ballers/playmakers or what-not, they probably wouldn’t be at GT... they’d be at Clemson and the like.

Not unless they really enjoyed differential equations... IIWII.

So how is that different than the way we looked against Clemson and UGA last year with the option?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sonny Cumbie TCU oc is a name I'd like to see mentioned. Young, would be cheap, supposed to be a good recruiter and I love the way tcu plays. I'm not sure we could get the type of athlete required to run his system though.

My top choice would be Venables.

Mike Leach disciples have a good history of putting out good offenses. Defense has been an issue for them, but they can light up scoreboards.

Joe Moorhead would have been my pick a year ago. A guy with a great system that many teams have copied. Was HC at Fordham, so he understands the academic responsibility, but also that you have to have an edge with scheme. Unfortunately, he went to Mississippi State and is lighting it up there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Would we be having this conversation if, for instance, Searcy didn’t fumble versus USF and if Stewart made the diving catch at the end zone versus Pitt?
I agree. .
If a decision is made after the season that it is time to move on - which imo would require a losing record, Johnson's buyout would be $4MM. $1MM for each of the 4 remaining years on his contract.

Hewitt's 900K/yr buyout finally comes off the books next spring so if the decision is made to make a move you simply move the money you are assigning to Hewitt to Johnson and you really haven't affected your finances at all.

Most of the names mentioned here imo would be hired at a rate far below what Johnson is currently making (at least 0.5MM). You could take the HC savings and put that into assts and recruiting staff.

Here's the full salary for some of the ACC HC's.
Dabo, Clem $8.5MM
Taggart, FSU $5.0MM
Richt, Miami $4.1MM+
Petrino, L'ville $3.9MM
Mendnehall, UVA $3.4MM
Fuente, VT $3.3MM
Johnson, GT $3.0MM
Cutcliffe, Duke $2.6MM
Addazio, BC $2.4MM
Babers, Syr $2.4MM
Fedora, UNC $2.3MM
Doreen, NCSU $2.2MM
Clawson, Wake $1.8MM
Narduzzi, Pitt $1.8MM

My expectation is that unless a move was made to hire a big name, we would end up in the $2.2-2.5MM range.

While this is end of season thread I say:
Thanks for the content!

Based on your review
Would we be wise to move more to a lower salaried head coach and higher salaried coordinators who run their show.

Seems like we could have a better recruiting team especially if the 1 was from a wider geographical region .