Let's compare coaches, just for fun !

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJs buyout is $2M after this year.

This is incorrect. That would have been based on the contract prior to the extension last year.
It is $1MM per yr for each yr remaining on the contract. After this season there will be 4 years left on the contract - hence $4MM.

The $2MM is based on the prior contract extension that took the contract out to 2020. The current contract runs to 2022.

See the PDF of the contract extension here, it is very clearly laid out
https://hkm.com/football/contracts/paul-johnson/

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I had not really thought about this but the evidence you present is irrefutable. The rest of us literally have no chance of competing for titles which really begs the question for most programs, what then, is the point? To the names you have listed there are a few elite factory type schools that have not tasted glory with a national championship but certainly have the resources and the recruiting bases to do so. LSU, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, UGA, Michigan, and Penn State to name a few. So realistically you have about 17 to 21 teams that are in the universe of national title contenders.

I am beginning to think with the rampant cheating, paying players, academic shenanigans, bagmen, and the like associated with these "institutions of higher learning", perhaps it would be better for certain teams to cut ties with the NCAA which has become a laughingstock and form their own league.

I am thinking primarily of colleges that are willing to maintain a semblance of academic integrity, adhere to an agreed SAT and high school scholastic record standard and simply withdraw from the rat race of football factories that are no better than pro football minor leagues. To be sure, this is admittedly nothing more than wistful thinking on my part but I am thinking about primarily the private universities like Duke, Wake Forest, SMU, Northwestern, the military academies, Tech, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, perhaps some others like Virginia, Tulane, Temple, and others that see through the hypocrisy that is currently going on. On the other hand, it is likely that the lure of easy money would be too hard to resist and therefore the aforementioned would continue to be punching bags for the factories to varying degrees.

FWIW there was an article last year i'll see if I can find it, where the author argued that the next re-organization in college football is not going to be along current conference lines, it is going to be along academic lines - those schools that believe there is an academic mission and those that just want to have kids play FB. The key school according to the author is Notre Dame. Get them along with schools like Stanford and others that want their to be legit academics for SA's and you could have a good group of schools.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
FWIW there was an article last year i'll see if I can find it, where the author argued that the next re-organization in college football is not going to be along current conference lines, it is going to be along academic lines - those schools that believe there is an academic mission and those that just want to have kids play FB. The key school according to the author is Notre Dame. Get them along with schools like Stanford and others that want their to be legit academics for SA's and you could have a good group of schools.
That would to me be like the way Tennessee separates public and private high school football teams from playing each other in the regular season and the playoffs.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
We've got the coach I want right now. I've known PJ for more than 20 years, so yeah, I'm biased.
I hope he gets this thing going in the right direction for the rest of the season. I'm not someone who judges the health of the program on wins and losses in total. He graduates his kids. He's gotten the upgrades he needs in recruiting - new locker room, more staff. The ROI on those aren't overnight but should be felt soon.

But ... if we do change, for some reason ... I think Brent Pry, the Penn State DC, or the guy who has been the interim at THE Ohio State are my top two. Pry is a very good defensive coach and has connections to Georgia and its high schools. Ohio State also has recruited Georgia heavily the last few years and has built a network in the state.
A prior connection to Tech would be great but not necessary. But I would like a coach who has some inroads with the high schools in the state.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We've got the coach I want right now. I've known PJ for more than 20 years, so yeah, I'm biased.
I hope he gets this thing going in the right direction for the rest of the season. I'm not someone who judges the health of the program on wins and losses in total. He graduates his kids. He's gotten the upgrades he needs in recruiting - new locker room, more staff. The ROI on those aren't overnight but should be felt soon.

But ... if we do change, for some reason ... I think Brent Pry, the Penn State DC, or the guy who has been the interim at THE Ohio State are my top two. Pry is a very good defensive coach and has connections to Georgia and its high schools. Ohio State also has recruited Georgia heavily the last few years and has built a network in the state.
A prior connection to Tech would be great but not necessary. But I would like a coach who has some inroads with the high schools in the state.
Miami's OC Thomas Brown would be an interesting person to interview;)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't really know who we should look at, but I really don't think going for an air raid guy like the OKSt or WVU guy is what we need. We can see how much trouble Fedora has running it, and my personal belief is that it just isn't going to work outside of the Big12 (Washington State being the exception, but they have the godfather of the air raid running their team). Honestly our best bet is to follow the model a lot of the Big10 teams use imo. Get old, stay old, build depth, and focus on S&C hardcore. I've said it before but I have felt we have been soft, mentally and physically, ever since Sisk got here. We need to maybe look at a change there.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I don't really know who we should look at, but I really don't think going for an air raid guy like the OKSt or WVU guy is what we need. We can see how much trouble Fedora has running it, and my personal belief is that it just isn't going to work outside of the Big12 (Washington State being the exception, but they have the godfather of the air raid running their team). Honestly our best bet is to follow the model a lot of the Big10 teams use imo. Get old, stay old, build depth, and focus on S&C hardcore. I've said it before but I have felt we have been soft, mentally and physically, ever since Sisk got here. We need to maybe look at a change there.

Agree with you on your S and C comments. I’ve seen too many guys that were in the program that failed to ever put on one ounce of good weight. Freeman comes to mind off the top of my head.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
PJ is a good coach. if every school had equal talent, we would win a lot of national championships, but that's not the way it works.

I know I have stated that hiring the current DC was a mistake. I'm not saying he is a bad coach. Just the wrong scheme for GT.

Bottom line is we don't have equal athletes. Even our athletes that are supposed to be good, don't look very good right now.

Yes, including the QB.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think you can bank on a change happening if we don’t make a bowl game. Right now that looks very possible. So what do you all think we need if we are searching for a new coach. For me it’s easy, a young, energetic guy who can recruit and has a scheme players love. My top 3 are Lane Kiffin, Neal Brown and Seth Littrell

I really don’t understand the achievement in getting to a bowl game.

Our goals should be to beat ugag, clemson, not be 2 -15 vs richt, to think losing to any team in the ACC geographically north of clemson as a total failure.

Even halfway way decently coached and motivated teams consider a bowl as a given in today’s environment.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys may need to take a deep breath and come to the realization that we probably are not going to fire CPJ regardless of the outcome. I've posted this in the other thread already, but we flat out don't have the money for the buyout. TStan is trying very hard to dig us out of the hole that our previous three AD's put us in with the Hewitt and Gregory scenarios, and shelling out 2-3 million to drop CPJ and then pay another coach (probably more than we're paying CPJ today) is not going to move us any closer to that goal...in fact it would probably dig the program into an even deeper hole.

Like it or not (and right now I'm in the don't like it camp), we are going to have to gut it out with him for another few years until we are more financially stable. The only hope is if the big money guys decide to pool some money and just pay him off in a lump sum...but that would be a surprise IMO

Good points, but many can realistically claim we don’t have the resources to continue with CPJ.

Maybe we will end up 10 - 2, so who knows.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If we do decide to move on from CPJ, or he decides to move on from us, we damn well better get someone who knows what the hell he’s getting himself into especially with regards to the hill.
That will be a problem , and I hate to say we will not get a big name coach like some think. I just have a feeling he goes after this year he doesn't look like he is having fun.