Let look at it this way ( You are the head coach what do you do)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
No one needs to go. Offense is not the issue with this team. You all need to go listen to CPJ presser. It is and always has been about the Defense at tech, regardless of Coaches. In 1999 we have the most explosive offense in the country, but go 8-4 because we can't stop anybody. do you remember that we had UGA down 17 late in the third and basically lost the game. Our offense is what keeps us in games. And the continued talk of recruiting.....our academics hurts defense recruiting, not offense. It is all about our lack of D-line and linebackers.

Definitely the same story with the d. You absolutely have to disrupt and harass a QB. Fromm looked like he was running practice drills most of the day with absolutely no disruption while as soon as Marshall dropped back someone was all over him.

slugboy

Staff member
Both those teams kept it closer and If Kentucky has more talent than us that’s another reason Johnson should “retire.”

Kentucky has much deeper pockets than we do, and has started recruiting Ohio players like crazy. I think they’re getting the players Louisville and Cincinnati used to and then some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If that's the case then it's time to move on from the coach who has proven in over a decade unable to field a competent defense regardless of who is DC. And this year was not a step in the right direction by any means.
Unless you have something new to add...we get it. You don't like CPJ. You're ready for something new/different. You don't have to keep saying it over and over.

Deleted member 2897

Why shouldn't Kentucky have more talent? They play in the SEC, have a larger fan base/resources and have it easier from an academics standpoint.

Kentucky has something obscene like an 80%+ acceptance rate. Forbes ranks it as the #323 University in the country. ITS TERRIBLE.

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense and Offense definitely struggled at times, but the young Defense played better than I expected outside of 3rd down issues. In 2018 football, you’re not going to just shut teams down unless you have superior players. We don’t have superior players than most of our competition. The defense got turnovers and that’s all we can ask for. If the offense didn’t turn the ball over, we would have a couple more wins. This defense isn’t designed to stop UGA. We are converting safeties to lb. We aren’t getting bigger, we are going to get even smaller and hopefully force more turnovers with better speed. Clemson and UGA will routinely run over us. Oline play is not good, but Oline is probably our worst position as far as recruiting goes. I’m sure more talented players would help.

Animal02

Banned
Definitely the same story with the d. You absolutely have to disrupt and harass a QB. Fromm looked like he was running practice drills most of the day with absolutely no disruption while as soon as Marshall dropped back someone was all over him.
I have to wonder how many of the posters have ever played on a D line and been outweighed by 50-70 lbs. at are playing a 1/2 level above you. (Been on both sides of that coin......no amount of coaching is going to overcome that difference more than one of 20 times.)

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to wonder how many of the posters have ever played on a D line and been outweighed by 50-70 lbs. at are playing a 1/2 level above you. (Been on both sides of that coin......no amount of coaching is going to overcome that difference more than one of 20 times.)

The Big Boys in the trenches is who separates the factory teams from the rest over the course of a season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Defense and Offense definitely struggled at times, but the young Defense played better than I expected outside of 3rd down issues. In 2018 football, you’re not going to just shut teams down unless you have superior players. We don’t have superior players than most of our competition. The defense got turnovers and that’s all we can ask for. If the offense didn’t turn the ball over, we would have a couple more wins. This defense isn’t designed to stop UGA. We are converting safeties to lb. We aren’t getting bigger, we are going to get even smaller and hopefully force more turnovers with better speed. Clemson and UGA will routinely run over us. Oline play is not good, but Oline is probably our worst position as far as recruiting goes. I’m sure more talented players would help.
Well … next year the DL will probably be Adams (320), Owens (275), and Glanton (290) or Martin (285). We may be getting something, but smaller it ain't. Also, we had a brand new set of DBs this year and lost Gray. Luckily, Rivera made up some of the slack, but I'd have rather had Gray. Our ILBs are ok, but getting someone better there would certainly help. BJS might.

All told, I thought the D ended up about like I thought they would: more turnovers and about the same everywhere else. It takes time and experience to play the kind of D Woody wants. I think we have good players over there–more 4*s then on O–but we need time to develop them. I'm not discouraged by our D play since I didn't expect much the first year, especially after losing Gray. Next year, I'm hoping for real improvement.