Let look at it this way ( You are the head coach what do you do)

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
WVU just gave up 59
Oklahoma gave up 56
Michigan gave up 62
A&M gave up 72
LSU gave up 74
Auburn gave up 52
Clemson gave up 35

Our defense isn't good but outside of perhaps 5 or less teams, no one appears to be playing good defense anymore. These spread offenses everyone else is running are very difficult to stop. Conversely, a predictable QB Keeper offense with a small OL is going to get manhandled vs good teams, as it did both times we faced one this year. It didn't exactly blow the doors off of pedestrian defenses of UVA, Duke (who gave up 56 to mighty Wake yesterday) and Pitt.

Defense needs improvement but the offense continues to drop the ball against all but the really bad teams on our schedule. References to inflated stats from cupcakes are irrelevant. I watched USCe - hardly a world-beater - move the ball up and down the field vs a Clemson team that stymied us. No more commentary needed about the curb-stomping from the mutts, who completely TOTALLY shut us down for the 2nd year in a row. We will not beat a Kirby-Smart-coached team again with this offense nor this defense. And the one constant I hear about CPJ is that his offense helps "level the playing field" and "equalizes the talent difference." Both of those statements are now a big load of horse****.
I think Michigan was the #1 rated defence in the country.

On D performance: some might have noticed the concern at the first of the year about the youth and inexperience of our DBs. Sure enough, that has showed up all year, especially when some freshmen beat out their senior competition. Some might also have noticed the concern expressed about going to an entirely new D scheme under new coaches. Sure enough, that has showed up all year too.

I don't think we really have talent issue over there on D; the recruiting ratings (others always go by them, so I will here) are higher over there then on O. What we have is a threefold problem: lack of experience with the scheme, lack of players recruited to play in it, and lack of playing experience. That'll do it, usually. I haven't even begun to reach a verdict on Woody's D yet. It'll probably be a work in progress next year too, though I expect to see more improvement. The tackling issues are troubling, but, again, that's a matter of game experience more then anything else. (Well … that's how it was for me, anyway.) And, despite all the moaning and groaning here, getting more turnovers is a very positive development. It's what Woody's Ds were famous for at App State and it appears to be carrying over.
The tackling issues existed long before even Roof got here. You would think by now somebody would have figured out a way to teach our players how to tackle.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not looking to see if you want to fired CPJ we have 150 pages on that topic.

The AD comes to your office ask you to look at your coaching staff and tell him which ones need to go stay or move to another postion.
1) Nate Woody Defensive coordinator and outside LB's
2)Craig Candeto QB's and B-backs
3) Andy McCollum inside LB's
4) Lamar Owens A -backs ST
5) Buzz Preston WR's
6) Jerome Riase DL
7) Mike Sewall OL
8) Joe Speed CB's
9) Ron West OL
10) Shiel Wood safeties

Tell why they need to be replaced or why to keep them and move them to another postion.

For me Woody is safe Riase is safe ,Wood is safe , McCollum safe but at something other then inside LB maybe Assistant head coach and ST.
The coaching is not the issue ... recruitment and innovation is the issue...see Clemson see Oregon of the past. Dabo Sweeney could not out coach cpj, but he has dominated him in recruitment making game coaching almost irrelevant. After watching the rivalry games this past weekend, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson make their competition's game planning a futile exercise because you are totally overwhelmed by superior talent at virtually every position with two deep depth at the same level of ability...we need a "game plan" to attract quality guys like our coaches have done, but mixed in with more 4 and 5 star players. We can attract those new folk we cuurcurre keep missing on with INNOVATION and then coach them up using SOTA technology in opponents statistical analysis and tendancies, tudor basic skills like tackling and blocking, studies in nutrition, speed, strength, flexibility and conditioning ...the same ole same ole is not going to cut it in this Uber competitive environment...sorry for the vent, I feel better

Animal02

Banned
The coaching is not the issue ... recruitment and innovation is the issue...see Clemson see Oregon of the past. Dabo Sweeney could not out coach cpj, but he has dominated him in recruitment making game coaching almost irrelevant. After watching the rivalry games this past weekend, Alabama, Georgia, Clemson make their competition's game planning a futile exercise because you are totally overwhelmed by superior talent at virtually every position with two deep depth at the same level of ability...we need a "game plan" to attract quality guys like our coaches have done, but mixed in with more 4 and 5 star players. We can attract those new folk we cuurcurre keep missing on with INNOVATION and then coach them up using SOTA technology in opponents statistical analysis and tendancies, tudor basic skills like tackling and blocking, studies in nutrition, speed, strength, flexibility and conditioning ...the same ole same ole is not going to cut it in this Uber competitive environment...sorry for the vent, I feel better
It is not "recruiting" it is simply $$$$$$$ We spend 65% of what UGAg does per player, 36% of what Alabama does.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It is not "recruiting" it is simply $$$$$$$ We spend 65% of what UGAg does per player, 36% of what Alabama does.
Forget Ala - how about Syracuse

How did Syracuse get so much better? Did they spend like crazy since we best them 56 0 in 2013 ?

I remember coach saying ( in early 15) that they had systemic issues that changing coaches would not help .

They have had a higher football grad rate than us till recently when we just caught up?

We ain't Alabama.

Animal02

Banned
Forget Ala - how about Syracuse

How did Syracuse get so much better? Did they spend like crazy since we best them 56 0 in 2013 ?

I remember coach saying ( in early 15) that they had systemic issues that changing coaches would not help .

They have had a higher football grad rate than us till recently when we just caught up?

We ain't Alabama.

Most teams have up and down years just like us.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
WVU just gave up 59
Oklahoma gave up 56
Michigan gave up 62
A&M gave up 72
LSU gave up 74
Auburn gave up 52
Clemson gave up 35

Our defense isn't good but outside of perhaps 5 or less teams, no one appears to be playing good defense anymore. These spread offenses everyone else is running are very difficult to stop. Conversely, a predictable QB Keeper offense with a small OL is going to get manhandled vs good teams, as it did both times we faced one this year. It didn't exactly blow the doors off of pedestrian defenses of UVA, Duke (who gave up 56 to mighty Wake yesterday) and Pitt.

Defense needs improvement but the offense continues to drop the ball against all but the really bad teams on our schedule. References to inflated stats from cupcakes are irrelevant. I watched USCe - hardly a world-beater - move the ball up and down the field vs a Clemson team that stymied us. No more commentary needed about the curb-stomping from the mutts, who completely TOTALLY shut us down for the 2nd year in a row. We will not beat a Kirby-Smart-coached team again with this offense nor this defense. And the one constant I hear about CPJ is that his offense helps "level the playing field" and "equalizes the talent difference." Both of those statements are now a big load of horse****.
Agreed

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not looking to see if you want to fired CPJ we have 150 pages on that topic.

The AD comes to your office ask you to look at your coaching staff and tell him which ones need to go stay or move to another postion.
1) Nate Woody Defensive coordinator and outside LB's
2)Craig Candeto QB's and B-backs
3) Andy McCollum inside LB's
4) Lamar Owens A -backs ST
5) Buzz Preston WR's
6) Jerome Riase DL
7) Mike Sewall OL
8) Joe Speed CB's
9) Ron West OL
10) Shiel Wood safeties

Tell why they need to be replaced or why to keep them and move them to another postion.

For me Woody is safe Riase is safe ,Wood is safe , McCollum safe but at something other then inside LB maybe Assistant head coach and ST.

I will take a stab at this... if AD comes to my office and asks what to do, I tell him we have the personnel to field a good team and can continue to recruit players to our run-based option system. Right now that system makes us unique, and there are tons of programs trying to spread the ball and failing, or also being mediocre, but we need to modernize our system a little bit. I would have him fire Craig Candeto and we would pursue Mike Thiessen at Air Force, Bob DeBesse at Georgia Southern, or Tim Albin at Ohio to come in and work with CPJ to wrinkle the offense. All 3 of these guys are familiar with run-based option schemes that model more of what Nebraska ran. Single back sets, shotgun formations, better passing opportunities which will help bring in more highly rated dual-threat QB's and more RB's who can be feature backs instead of just random A-backs who don't get many carries.

• Tim Albin has been with Frank Solich since 2000 at Nebraska. They have all the top 10 offensive seasons in Ohio history. This year they have scored 49, 52, 59, 52, 49, 58, 30, 31, 38.
  • Bob DeBesses offense broke all the school records at New Mexico. They led the nation in rushing a few times, led the nation in plays over over 60 yards, plays over 50 yards, and plays over 70 yards. His offense is based on the Air Force and Nebraska version.
  • Mike Thiessen at Air Force has been running the Air Force version of the option for 7 years. It is modeled after the Nebraska version. They are in the shotgun 35% of the team. Other times they line up in a spread formation, or in the I-formation, or in the flexbone.... The Air Force version of the offense is the most versatile of the group, the most modern, the least predictable, etc.
In other words.... we don't have to blow up the program or the roster to get better and fix our problems. We have the foundation in place to do these things, but CPJ is going to have to change, listen to someone else, learn from someone else, etc.

A system that is more suitable for passing, within the existing system, will attract better QB's, WR's, and RB's. Great RB's want to be a feature back, WR's want more chances to catch the ball, and great dual-threat QB's want more chances to throw or operate out of the shotgun. All three of these coordinators solve that problem, while at the same time making the offense more diverse.

That is what I would tell Stansbury.