Let look at it this way ( You are the head coach what do you do)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I expected the same trash defense we've always had under Johnson and I'm still disappointed. We are worse in most categories. Before today's game we were worse in tfls, worse in sacks, worse in ypp, worse in ypa passing, terrible in third downs (much worse than last year). But hey, if your only hope from the new DC was more turnovers and don't care about anything else, then you're probably happy.

Come on now, we have seen progress. I want to see how the improvements unfold next year. The DL is very improved and the turnovers are real. If you expected in his first year to have a top 25 defense, then that is on you.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Come on now, we have seen progress. I want to see how the improvements unfold next year. The DL is very improved and the turnovers are real. If you expected in his first year to have a top 25 defense, then that is on you.

The DL is improved because they are all seniors. They will regress next year. And turnovers by nature are unreliable defense and we are worse in most ways other ways. What progress are you seeing because I saw very little, and what there progress I did see was more than outweighed by the step backs we took.

I also don't know what your point is about top 25 when you quoted what I expected. I expected to be bad. That doesn't make actually being bad any better. If the problem was DC like people were saying then we should have seen improvement. I didn't believe DC was the issues and didn't expect improvement. That doesn't make it any better.

slugboy

Staff member
The first thing I would look at is who played the worst.

ILB
CB & Safeties
OL

Who is responsible for teaching tackling and taking proper angles. Fire him, hire him again just so he can be fired twice.

I thought safeties did better than the corners. Safeties did miss some tackles today. Did you see something with Malik and Carpenter I missed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I thought safeties did better than the corners. Safeties did miss some tackles today. Did you see something with Malik and Carpenter I missed?

Not specifically, I just thought our overall pass coverage was terrible and lumped them all together. I saw what seemed like 20 missed tackles today as well. But I will defer to you since I did not specially watch the safeties.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The DL is improved because they are all seniors. They will regress next year. And turnovers by nature are unreliable defense and we are worse in most ways other ways. What progress are you seeing because I saw very little, and what there progress I did see was more than outweighed by the step backs we took.

I also don't know what your point is about top 25 when you quoted what I expected. I expected to be bad. That doesn't make actually being bad any better. If the problem was DC like people were saying then we should have seen improvement. I didn't believe DC was the issues and didn't expect improvement. That doesn't make it any better.

No, the DL use of their hands has improved greatly from last year to this year. That is coaching. Plus I saw a number of new pass rush moves. IbeeBallin can back up that and elaborate much more than I can.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Not specifically, I just thought our overall pass coverage was terrible and lumped them all together. I saw what seemed like 20 missed tackles today as well. But I will defer to you since I did not specially watch the safeties.

I understand that the D will miss tackles. However, the number of tackles that we’ve missed this year would be laughable if it was happening to someone else. It’s ridiculous and, frankly, I would expect that their tackling would be better than this before they got to this level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not an excuse, but just something to think about - sometimes missed tackles happen because the guy being tackled is bigger and stronger. I saw some of that today as well. I know using great technique will lead to better tackling, but when the guy you are trying to tackle is just significantly better, sometimes you just get whipped.

slugboy

Staff member

I don’t know what’s going on with our pass coverage, but we have huge holes in our zone coverage. It’s amazing

Animal02

Banned
Not an excuse, but just something to think about - sometimes missed tackles happen because the guy being tackled is bigger and stronger. I saw some of that today as well. I know using great technique will lead to better tackling, but when the guy you are trying to tackle is just significantly better, sometimes you just get whipped.
Yep....I remember playing on the scout squad in HS, wrapped up our senior FB, and he proceeded to carry me another five yards. :eek:
On the other hand, I have seen one arm tackles by players that just defy logic.....their arm strength has to be incredible.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I've noticed that when we break tackles, it's because we're bigger and stronger, but when we miss them it's "poor technique".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's be real for a few moments.

Dabo is paid more than our entire staff, including CPJ, IIuc.

I'm not saying that improvement can't be made, but I want us to be clear that we're talking about a real life budget.

It's not the topic of this thread, but it is often under appreciated that there's a significant difference between CPJ plus highest O Asst and most HC plus OC salaries.

Now, on topic, I think it's hard to divorce coaching from talent. I would prefer this conversation after our bowl game, but maybe it'll be a motivator. Based on recruiting, we would've expected this year to have seen Jaylend Ratcliffe and Christian Campbell, not to mention Lucas and Jay Jones.

I've assumed Coach Cook was encouraged to find a job elsewhere.

I am disappointed with our performance on D. It is way below what I expected and heightens questions whether CPJ is the issue.

Questions about assistants have to include budgets and impacts on recruiting.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On D performance: some might have noticed the concern at the first of the year about the youth and inexperience of our DBs. Sure enough, that has showed up all year, especially when some freshmen beat out their senior competition. Some might also have noticed the concern expressed about going to an entirely new D scheme under new coaches. Sure enough, that has showed up all year too.

I don't think we really have talent issue over there on D; the recruiting ratings (others always go by them, so I will here) are higher over there then on O. What we have is a threefold problem: lack of experience with the scheme, lack of players recruited to play in it, and lack of playing experience. That'll do it, usually. I haven't even begun to reach a verdict on Woody's D yet. It'll probably be a work in progress next year too, though I expect to see more improvement. The tackling issues are troubling, but, again, that's a matter of game experience more then anything else. (Well … that's how it was for me, anyway.) And, despite all the moaning and groaning here, getting more turnovers is a very positive development. It's what Woody's Ds were famous for at App State and it appears to be carrying over.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Let's be real for a few moments.

Dabo is paid more than our entire staff, including CPJ, IIuc.

I'm not saying that improvement can't be made, but I want us to be clear that we're talking about a real life budget.

It's not the topic of this thread, but it is often under appreciated that there's a significant difference between CPJ plus highest O Asst and most HC plus OC salaries.

Now, on topic, I think it's hard to divorce coaching from talent. I would prefer this conversation after our bowl game, but maybe it'll be a motivator. Based on recruiting, we would've expected this year to have seen Jaylend Ratcliffe and Christian Campbell, not to mention Lucas and Jay Jones.

I am disappointed with our performance on D. It is way below what I expected and heightens questions whether CPJ is the issue.

Questions about assistants have to include budgets and impacts on recruiting.
Read somewhere that as a provision of his contract the mutts upped salaries by $6-8M. It’s harder to teach morons than normal kids but damn that’s a lot of $$.

slugboy

Staff member

You mean Candeto? Bryan Cook was in a quality control role, not coaching the QBs and B Backs

Maybe I have the wrong Cook in mind

WVU just gave up 59
Oklahoma gave up 56
Michigan gave up 62
A&M gave up 72
LSU gave up 74
Auburn gave up 52
Clemson gave up 35

Our defense isn't good but outside of perhaps 5 or less teams, no one appears to be playing good defense anymore. These spread offenses everyone else is running are very difficult to stop. Conversely, a predictable QB Keeper offense with a small OL is going to get manhandled vs good teams, as it did both times we faced one this year. It didn't exactly blow the doors off of pedestrian defenses of UVA, Duke (who gave up 56 to mighty Wake yesterday) and Pitt.

Defense needs improvement but the offense continues to drop the ball against all but the really bad teams on our schedule. References to inflated stats from cupcakes are irrelevant. I watched USCe - hardly a world-beater - move the ball up and down the field vs a Clemson team that stymied us. No more commentary needed about the curb-stomping from the mutts, who completely TOTALLY shut us down for the 2nd year in a row. We will not beat a Kirby-Smart-coached team again with this offense nor this defense. And the one constant I hear about CPJ is that his offense helps "level the playing field" and "equalizes the talent difference." Both of those statements are now a big load of horse****.