Let look at it this way ( You are the head coach what do you do)

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know how to figure that out. I’d like a much stronger offensive line and better separation from the receivers. I’d like more coaches who are beasts on the recruiting trail and great position coaches.
I think we’re OK at most positions but not blowing it out. It’s not worth replacing a coach unless you have someone better, and I haven’t seen us bring in a coach much better at either recruiting or player development in a while, except maybe Kelly.
If you can replace a coach with a much better recruiter or position coach, do it. Unless you know a better coach, it’s not like a better coach is going to knock on your door and fill the position from a firing.
Dabo has been great at that at Clemson. We aren’t having many coaches poached lately, which is a bad sign. If our coaches are good, it should be hard to hang onto them.
So, I think there’s room for improvement, and I don’t know why we can’t improve, but there seems to be a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully this will convince Paul Johnson to retire;)

Not happening nor should he.

He helped turn around a season that was in the toilet and are now going bowling.
He is still young enough to coach for several more years.
He has a new defensive coordinator and would want to stick around and see if the defense can be decent.
He is receiving more resources and support from the AD than he has in the past.

I am not a supporter or detractor of CPJ. I like the offense but feels it does prohibit them from recruiting - especially on defense. That being said I believe he has earned another season.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Not happening nor should he.

He helped turn around a season that was in the toilet and are now going bowling.
He is still young enough to coach for several more years.
He has a new defensive coordinator and would want to stick around and see if the defense can be decent.
He is receiving more resources and support from the AD than he has in the past.

I am not a supporter or detractor of CPJ. I like the offense but feels it does prohibit them from recruiting - especially on defense. That being said I believe he has earned another season.
I'll keep praying that he does;)

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I would keep the three new defensive coaches because it looks like two of them can recruit. I don't think other schools are banging at our doors for Owens, Speed, Sewak, West, Preston, and Candeto. Hate to say it, but maybe it's time for Andy McCollum to move on too. He's our best recruiter, but he's been on the defensive side of the team since he got here and I just don't see much improvement. He is my favorite coach. So there, just keep Woody, Woods, and Riase. Woods and Riase can recruit. Woody needs to step it up.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I have to wonder how many of the posters have ever played on a D line and been outweighed by 50-70 lbs. at are playing a 1/2 level above you. (Been on both sides of that coin......no amount of coaching is going to overcome that difference more than one of 20 times.)

Amen. There is a noticeable size difference. Good technique and scheme might help against these bigger guys for a while but the big guys will eventually wear you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we need a new S&C as well. It just seems our kids don't get any bigger.
The de foor kid from Mississippi - whose dad played at uga trimmed down from 305 to 287.
Definitely need a way to make our players stronger or faster. We appear to be short on both accounts.

Ol has not been good but sewak and johnson are a package. If possible I would like some younger/ more communicative ol coach . Today hansen made some big mistakes and we put in Morgan. Sewak rushed hansen to starter - I guess w idea it's about extra beef - but speed is needed at rg.

The de foor kid from Mississippi - whose dad played at uga trimmed down from 305 to 287.
Definitely need a way to make our players stronger or faster. We appear to be short on both accounts.

Ol has not been good but sewak and johnson are a package. If possible I would like some younger/ more communicative ol coach . Today hansen made some big mistakes and we put in Morgan. Sewak rushed hansen to starter - I guess w idea it's about extra beef - but speed is needed at rg.
And what ever happened to Will Bryan?

Eli

Helluva Engineer
All I know is we need a hypnotist for a (or used car salesman) recruiter. "you will attend GT, you will attend GT, etc." I am not sure how to get the talent, but we need some serious LB and DL talent.

We have a salesman coaching our basketball team and have gotten one four star in BASKETBALL. Pastner recruited top 5 classes at Memphis yet isn't doing it here and he only has to find 12 smart kids not 85 God bless the next coach if things dont change

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We have a salesman coaching our basketball team and have gotten one four star in BASKETBALL. Pastner recruited top 5 classes at Memphis yet isn't doing it here and he only has to find 12 smart kids not 85 God bless the next coach if things dont change

Very good point - truth is that recruiting at GT is ALWAYS a challenge, but in today's social media, big $$ factory world, it is even harder. Has anyone noticed that the best players are starting to go together to just a few schools? That leaves very little for the other schools - the talent is not spread out like it used to be. Coaching can make a difference, especially on the offense, but like I try to say all the time, a DC cannot hide a lack of talent.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Very good point - truth is that recruiting at GT is ALWAYS a challenge, but in today's social media, big $$ factory world, it is even harder. Has anyone noticed that the best players are starting to go together to just a few schools? That leaves very little for the other schools - the talent is not spread out like it used to be. Coaching can make a difference, especially on the offense, but like I try to say all the time, a DC cannot hide a lack of talent.

I'm not sure how to break this cycle of elite teams forming. I think you either have to split the p5 into 12 teams willing to do anything and everyone else (which I find distasteful) or expand the playoff such that 1 team from each major conference, plus a G5 team gets in. That way at least you can increase the liklihood of a team getting in. To get that you need to expand to either 6 or 8 which the current blue bloods will not like and thus will fight tooth and nail.

Wrt the thread topic.
Replace Candeto with Cook. Replace sewak with an OC (irv jasper perhaps) and let the OC make a choice on the other oline coach.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No one needs to go. Offense is not the issue with this team. You all need to go listen to CPJ presser. It is and always has been about the Defense at tech, regardless of Coaches. In 1999 we have the most explosive offense in the country, but go 8-4 because we can't stop anybody. do you remember that we had UGA down 17 late in the third and basically lost the game. Our offense is what keeps us in games. And the continued talk of recruiting.....our academics hurts defense recruiting, not offense. It is all about our lack of D-line and linebackers.

Our offense basically scored zero TDS today against UGAs first team D. Not sure I’d sat it isn’t a problem. And you could argue that defense and special teams won vs. UVA. Offense has had issues the past few weeks.