Les Miles Met w/ Ted Roof in January

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
The talent seems to be improving on D but we won't know for a year or two. I wanna see how the most recent haul pans out before we tar and feather a GT legend.
Agree. You can see the talent improving. A lot of young players getting reps and not really seeing a huge drop off.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the most salient point to gather from all this, the fact that Roof agreed to an interview for the LSU job kind of squelches all of the talk about him being a Tech man through and through. And that is not a criticism, believe it or not. He is a football coach first. Who wants top dollar second. He will go where he gets top dollar third. I'm sure he loves Tech, but just as sure if greener pastures beckon, he is gone. I don't have any problem with that. We all would. But remember that Tech part of him is compartmentalized.

The funny thing is that Miles wound up hiring Kevin Steele, who was run out of Baylor and Clemson for his lousy defenses. Part of his Clemson demise reportedly was his constant whining about the hurry-up offense that didn't give his defense a lot of time to rest and that moreover he carried into the offices, the locker room, where ever he had an audience. That being to holler that it wasn't his fault. Get one coaching job and you are set for life. Ain't big time sports grand?

I think you make a good point that's often overlooked due to "idealistic hearts" of fanbases. It's one of the things fanbases tend to misunderstand because we tend to look at our team, coaches, and players through team colored tinted glasses. Coaching is a business, and being sentimental about it can be bad for careers. Would Roof have taken the LSU job if offered? Who knows, but one thing we know for sure is it didn't hurt his leverage when negotiating a pay raise and getting a 50% increase in salary. There was no "son of Ma Tech" discount...and there's nothing wrong with it. Roof was simply doing what was best for himself and his family, and you can never fault anyone for that regardless of their alumnus status.

Some on here believe CPJ will retire at GT. It may very well be true, but I have no doubt that if a big school came calling and offered the right amount of money and the situation put him in a better position to win a national championship, he'd leave. Auburn came calling after the 2008 season, and it probably wasn't the right time as CPJ just got here. CPJ has been here for 8 years now. It's a totally different situation than it was in 2008.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the most salient point to gather from all this, the fact that Roof agreed to an interview for the LSU job kind of squelches all of the talk about him being a Tech man through and through. And that is not a criticism, believe it or not. He is a football coach first. Who wants top dollar second. He will go where he gets top dollar third. I'm sure he loves Tech, but just as sure if greener pastures beckon, he is gone. I don't have any problem with that. We all would. But remember that Tech part of him is compartmentalized.

The funny thing is that Miles wound up hiring Kevin Steele, who was run out of Baylor and Clemson for his lousy defenses. Part of his Clemson demise reportedly was his constant whining about the hurry-up offense that didn't give his defense a lot of time to rest and that moreover he carried into the offices, the locker room, where ever he had an audience. That being to holler that it wasn't his fault. Get one coaching job and you are set for life. Ain't big time sports grand?
At the top level certain senior level coaches are hired based on who they know and how their overall philosophy fits rather than record.
I witnessed Kevin Steele at BAYLOR. Very conservative offense and defense == only 1 win in 4 years verses big 8/12. I saw them behind 45-3 w 5 min to go in second quarter and they ran same off and same defense the.rest of game = kids had no pride.
Look at his history on wiki. We were lucky to play against him while dc at Clemson.
He reached a level and just transfers from coach to coach.

I Dont fault roof for talking to LSU. They hired Steele. Could get a second call if we do well this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
2014 D line was the thinnest I've seen for any p5 program. Any thinner and we would have been playing a 3-4 with 230 lb DEs
As it was we had smallish de 6-3 230 and tallish dt 6-5 280. De can't set hard edge against 330#ot and DT stood up and rolled back on running plays.

While I think roof is not agressive enough in defensive calls , I really like that he is recruiting taller and larger defensive ends and shorter and stouter defensive tackles.
Also we are getting larger lb & db(2014). If he closes out recruiting season by turning some bigger name recruits at dt , we could be doing good by midseason.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Groh wanted Gotsis, Gamble, & Kallon at 300lb's plus, but Roof had them drop that weight.

I thought Roof wanted a faster smaller line, but I honestly have no clue what Roof's scheme strategy is.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Glad you brought up the offense. The offense in 2014 was one of the best in college football history (Seriously, look it up). How did Ted Roof's defense do last year?

The irony here is, Roof's defense actually performed better against the better teams this season (FSU and UGA come to mind), but totally wet the bed against the UVA's, Pittsburghs, and Dukes.

I get your point here, but I want to challenge the accuracy of the statement a little bit. Against Duke, our D held them to 11 total first downs and 280 yards while gaining 3 TOs for the offense. Duke had a 10.5 minute deficit in TOP and converted just 6 of 16 3rd downs. That is not a bad day for a defense by any measure. With that said, UVA and PITT both had 21 first downs and gained over 400 yards while we managed a total of 3 TOs combined in those games, so your point still stands somewhat. Even with those numbers there were great chances to win both games.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
2014 D line was the thinnest I've seen for any p5 program. Any thinner and we would have been playing a 3-4 with 230 lb DEs

it was, but we also were blessed with no injuries. One of our best D's at tech has a 235 lb WDE, 265 lb SDE, and two tackles in the 290 range. If you recall, that was roberson, oliver at the ends and anoai and (i think richards) at tackle. That D was freaking salty in 2005 or 6 IIRC.

So weight is one thing, sure, and depth is too....but a good DC can do better than Roof has done IMO. Are we world beaters with talent no...was that 2014 D more talented than 110 in the country

damn right they were.

but some folks, not saying u, but maybe u, will defend roof no matter what maybe cuz he is a tech guy, or someone likes his slick hair or whatever. But his on field numbers don't lie. In a decade has a DC he has only had one D ranked above the top 45 once (penn state for one year, and the year prior they were top 30 too). That is really bad IMO. If you are a good or above avg coach in D1A football, after one decade you should have more D's ranked in the top 50. Over paul's tenure our O talent hasn't been great...yet always upper in offense numbers. Always....and when we have good talent...he is like 1 in the country.

Tenuta ranked in the top 30 every year here but one, which was like 35; with a crap offense. Paul's offense should help I would think...

anyway...i digress...maybe auburn takes him back.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I understand why people hold Tenuta in high regards but he had better talent at UVA and his stats were horrible this past year. While I know he was good at tech offenses were different back then and his scheme of blitzing has gotten him burned recently.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
it was, but we also were blessed with no injuries. One of our best D's at tech has a 235 lb WDE, 265 lb SDE, and two tackles in the 290 range. If you recall, that was roberson, oliver at the ends and anoai and (i think richards) at tackle. That D was freaking salty in 2005 or 6 IIRC.

So weight is one thing, sure, and depth is too....but a good DC can do better than Roof has done IMO. Are we world beaters with talent no...was that 2014 D more talented than 110 in the country

damn right they were.

but some folks, not saying u, but maybe u, will defend roof no matter what maybe cuz he is a tech guy, or someone likes his slick hair or whatever. But his on field numbers don't lie. In a decade has a DC he has only had one D ranked above the top 45 once (penn state for one year, and the year prior they were top 30 too). That is really bad IMO. If you are a good or above avg coach in D1A football, after one decade you should have more D's ranked in the top 50. Over paul's tenure our O talent hasn't been great...yet always upper in offense numbers. Always....and when we have good talent...he is like 1 in the country.

Tenuta ranked in the top 30 every year here but one, which was like 35; with a crap offense. Paul's offense should help I would think...

anyway...i digress...maybe auburn takes him back.
You and I and a few others want a more agressive defense but get put in our place by others (u are not the coach, put offense in hole) .
I see an agressive fefense from a long term side. Over long haul gt would have a dual identiy - powerful ground game and aggressive defense. Sure we would loose some games due defense but they would like wise put win some games. In both the Orange bowl seasons 08 & 14 we had 18 interceptions. In big games uga 14 for example interceptions are big. Overtime the aggressive defense eould SELF Recruit talent.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When we went to orange bowl 08/09 & 24/15.
Number of interceptions by gt= 18 (6 -7 above average).

I know correlation is not caus....blah blah.

Could it be that a few extra turnovers by defense is very complementary to OUR offense? In 14 remember the Clemson game being won by pick 6.

Hope the 2016 defense gives us a suprise.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When we went to orange bowl 08/09 & 24/15.
Number of interceptions by gt= 18 (6 -7 above average).

I know correlation is not caus....blah blah.

Could it be that a few extra turnovers by defense is very complementary to OUR offense? In 14 remember the Clemson game being won by pick 6.

Hope the 2016 defense gives us a suprise.
Actually the offense got two scores against a terrific defense. The picks surely helped. Lowered my stress level for sure.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
was that 2014 D more talented than 110 in the country

damn right they were.
How in hades could you ever measure this? Just your gut feeling? That D was bad, real bad, and so was this years. Having one or two studs on an 11 man squad doesn't lift the sinking boat.

Could another DC have have made the proverbial chicken salad? Sure it's possible, but I don't know and neither do you. It's all speculation just like trying to guess where they should have ranked. They ranked where they ranked.