Les Miles Met w/ Ted Roof in January

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
How in hades could you ever measure this? Just your gut feeling? That D was bad, real bad, and so was this years. Having one or two studs on an 11 man squad doesn't lift the sinking boat.

Could another DC have have made the proverbial chicken salad? Sure it's possible, but I don't know and neither do you. It's all speculation just like trying to guess where they should have ranked. They ranked where they ranked.

One way is SOS

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How in hades could you ever measure this? Just your gut feeling? That D was bad, real bad, and so was this years. Having one or two studs on an 11 man squad doesn't lift the sinking boat.

Could another DC have have made the proverbial chicken salad? Sure it's possible, but I don't know and neither do you. It's all speculation just like trying to guess where they should have ranked. They ranked where they ranked.
Maybe it riff on Paul Johnson's QB observation in the Washington days applies: the most popular defensive coordinator you have is the one you don't have yet.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I wish GT was able to hire Charles Kelley. Oh well if Auburn takes Roof what then tired of switching DC's.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One way is SOS
Not following. I don't know how you could accurately predict how good a defense is supposed to be. We don't have highly rated players on D so that's not an accurate predictor even if the star ratings were right. The D wasn't loaded with all ACC players, either.

Maybe if you took an average star rating for the entire 2 deep and rank that with every other team in the BCS you'd have something. I don't believe in star ratings but at least it'd give you some perspective based on some "expert's" opinion of our talent level on D compared to the rest of college football.

Even then, a defense is a whole lot more than a collection of athletes. The whole is supposed to be more than the sum of the parts. Maybe that's 33's whole point, it wasn't. It's still hard to say. We had a bad D and some of the blame has to fall on the DC, we'll never know how much.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Auburn can have Roof... Matter of fact please take him.
Call Tenuta. I don't care if he was an ahole and burned some folks, he was the most productive DC Tech had in 20 seasons.
Hell call him now.
He and CPJ don't have to talk or even look at each other.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Auburn can have Roof... Matter of fact please take him.
Call Tenuta. I don't care if he was an ahole and burned some folks, he was the most productive DC Tech had in 20 seasons.
Hell call him now.
He and CPJ don't have to talk or even look at each other.
Well, actually they do. The head ball coach is nothing more nor less than the CEO. To have a major department head who doesn't talk to him? Nah. But from what I hear about Tenuta, and it's not much, he does not play well with others. But he isn't here so he is a lot more popular than the guy who is.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
it was, but we also were blessed with no injuries. One of our best D's at tech has a 235 lb WDE, 265 lb SDE, and two tackles in the 290 range. If you recall, that was roberson, oliver at the ends and anoai and (i think richards) at tackle. That D was freaking salty in 2005 or 6 IIRC.

So weight is one thing, sure, and depth is too....but a good DC can do better than Roof has done IMO. Are we world beaters with talent no...was that 2014 D more talented than 110 in the country

damn right they were.

but some folks, not saying u, but maybe u, will defend roof no matter what maybe cuz he is a tech guy, or someone likes his slick hair or whatever. But his on field numbers don't lie. In a decade has a DC he has only had one D ranked above the top 45 once (penn state for one year, and the year prior they were top 30 too). That is really bad IMO. If you are a good or above avg coach in D1A football, after one decade you should have more D's ranked in the top 50. Over paul's tenure our O talent hasn't been great...yet always upper in offense numbers. Always....and when we have good talent...he is like 1 in the country.

Tenuta ranked in the top 30 every year here but one, which was like 35; with a crap offense. Paul's offense should help I would think...

anyway...i digress...maybe auburn takes him back.

Great on field results usually show an absence of bad or even just mediocre coaching. Less than great on field results do not IMO. Bama probably has the best talent in the country. I think their performances show they are well coached also. Less effective coaching of that talent would not yield, IMO, the high level of success they achieve year to year. If that same coaching staff were at.....Vanderbilt....it would almost certainly be tougher to judge the quality of coaching being done. Again that's just an opinion. Maybe Saban's staff cloud roll in there and start pumping out 10 win seasons from jump. I highly doubt it though.

With that being said.....and because I'm not at practices, in coaches meetings, or on the sidelines....I do not have the necessary information to judge the quality of coaching going on for the most part.

I think our results on Offense during CPJ's tenure have been outstanding. Especially considering the depth of talent we have played with. Great results again make it easier to acknowledge superior coaching. Results diminished on that side in 15. Did the coaching then also diminish? I find the logic in that stream of thought highly flawed.

Have we had similar results on D? Certainly not. So it would be foolhardy to say, with a certainty, that we had great coaching on that side. Is it possible we have though? I'd say yes, it is possible. Maybe we had great coaching that maximized every drop of talent we had in '14. There is little to point to quantitatively to prove that point however. But we haven't had Bama type talent on that side. If we had it would be far easier to measure the coaching on D. Without that you would have to be at practices, in coaching meetings, and on the sideline to garner the information needed to judge that fairly.

So my philosophy is to withhold damning condemnations of coaches. I think those condemnations are almost always made from ignorance. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however. Just don't expect me to jump on board the "coach X sucks" bandwagon every time results aren't what I'd like to see.

Do I think Roof is a great coach? I don't know. I do doubt he is a bad one. He does seem to be a pretty good recruiter. An awful lot of people in his industry, who have more expertise than me, seem to think highly of him.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Great on field results usually show an absence of bad or even just mediocre coaching. Less than great on field results do not IMO. Bama probably has the best talent in the country. I think their performances show they are well coached also. Less effective coaching of that talent would not yield, IMO, the high level of success they achieve year to year. If that same coaching staff were at.....Vanderbilt....it would almost certainly be tougher to judge the quality of coaching being done. Again that's just an opinion. Maybe Saban's staff cloud roll in there and start pumping out 10 win seasons from jump. I highly doubt it though.

With that being said.....and because I'm not at practices, in coaches meetings, or on the sidelines....I do not have the necessary information to judge the quality of coaching going on for the most part.

I think our results on Offense during CPJ's tenure have been outstanding. Especially considering the depth of talent we have played with. Great results again make it easier to acknowledge superior coaching. Results diminished on that side in 15. Did the coaching then also diminish? I find the logic in that stream of thought highly flawed.

Have we had similar results on D? Certainly not. So it would be foolhardy to say, with a certainty, that we had great coaching on that side. Is it possible we have though? I'd say yes, it is possible. Maybe we had great coaching that maximized every drop of talent we had in '14. There is little to point to quantitatively to prove that point however. But we haven't had Bama type talent on that side. If we had it would be far easier to measure the coaching on D. Without that you would have to be at practices, in coaching meetings, and on the sideline to garner the information needed to judge that fairly.

So my philosophy is to withhold damning condemnations of coaches. I think those condemnations are almost always made from ignorance. Everyone is entitled to their opinions however. Just don't expect me to jump on board the "coach X sucks" bandwagon every time results aren't what I'd like to see.

Do I think Roof is a great coach? I don't know. I do doubt he is a bad one. He does seem to be a pretty good recruiter. An awful lot of people in his industry, who have more expertise than me, seem to think highly of him.
I am not in the practices or staff meetings on a daily basis either but I do have the professional qualifications to evaluate the level of coaching and personal/professional abilities of most of our staff. One of those is CTR who is in the top three coaches I've known professionally over the last 30+ years. He has had to hold this defense together with bailing wire and duct tape the last two years. The personnel has not been at a level where it needs to be competative but hopefully due in large part to CTRs recruiting skills ( best I've ever been around bar none including Kirby Smart) that situation will get better. Scheme and motivation (unbelievable motivator) can only do so much before players have to perform and as you all know we don't have those 4 and 5 star recruits that are on their way to the NFL running around so it takes time to develop the projects that we have.
We have the right coaches in place and consistency of the staff is the best thing we have going for us. I guarantee that CPJ can evaluate coaches and has no problem letting those go who aren't performing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Another variable that has considerable impact yet we know very little about are injuries that don't remove players from the field. Some of these injuries diminish production by a large measure, some not so much, we just don't know as fans. For example, imo, Skov was considerably less effective with his banged up shoulders. The mere fact that he stayed on the field in his condition says a lot about what the coaches thought of the depth behind him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Another nagging question that lingers in my head is why the huge drop off in turnovers recovered by the defense. It's night and day folks. WHY? It's largely the same players out there. Did we really miss Nealy, Johnson and Smith that much? To some degree, we did, but mostly I think it was something else entirely.

What our defense missed most of all was an offense that kept them off the field and put a ton of pressure on opposing offenses to score every possession. We went from 18 to 9 interceptions. A lot of those 18 were due to qb's feeling pressure. Not pressure from our DL, lol, but pressure to score and not punt because they knew a punt was a death sentence with how our offense scored almost at will.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
It seems like this year we dropped the INTs. We just didn't make plays. The one that sticks out in my head is the UNC game where if DJ catches it he probably returns it and swings the game back in Techs favor. Some years you make the plays, this year players just didn't.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
It seems like this year we dropped the INTs. We just didn't make plays. The one that sticks out in my head is the UNC game where if DJ catches it he probably returns it and swings the game back in Techs favor. Some years you make the plays, this year players just didn't.
And don't forget Gray's interception at Duke. He caught the ball but fell down, untouched, when he started up field for a sure TD. We would have won that game if he had scored.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep this year is was one where we didn't make the big plays at times. Really was the difference. Last year we pulled out of close games with Ws. I'll state his here and I'm sure I'll get arguments against but really what game did the D lose for us? Clemson we got beat in all phases. The d played well enough throughout the whole year. Like I said before our talent level looks to be improving. DBs will be a question mark but at LBs I feel like we are getting more athletic and more pure LBs next year. Watch out for Mitchell. DL is always a question mark. We need depth at DT. Gamble was playing great at the end of the season always thought he looks better inside. Good run stuffing DE but didn't have the speed to be a real threat as a pass rusher.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yep this year is was one where we didn't make the big plays at times. Really was the difference. Last year we pulled out of close games with Ws. I'll state his here and I'm sure I'll get arguments against but really what game did the D lose for us? Clemson we got beat in all phases. The d played well enough throughout the whole year. Like I said before our talent level looks to be improving. DBs will be a question mark but at LBs I feel like we are getting more athletic and more pure LBs next year. Watch out for Mitchell. DL is always a question mark. We need depth at DT. Gamble was playing great at the end of the season always thought he looks better inside. Good run stuffing DE but didn't have the speed to be a real threat as a pass rusher.

By this metric it looks like ND, UNC, and Pitt were on the D and Duke, VPI, U, and georgie were on the O.

http://www.bcftoys.com/2015-splits/

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We all have our opinions on roof.

The data with him as a DC at many schools combined with what i see on the field suggest to me he is a mediocre coach.

People can agree or not thats fine.

I have watched his scheme. I have observed him coach in practice on the sidelines. I have a great feel for our gross errors that are consistent on the field and a very simplistic D scheme that will always be exploited by modern O. And the lack of ingenuity on d bothers me.

For me these observations are why i think he is a mediocre coach. Not good. Not bad. Just a warm body. We can talk about techs talent. But he has had just as mediocre results at other schools save one year.

I want to be wrong. But i am not holding my breathe. For me he is a mediocre coach. A solid recruiter not great just solid. And historically jumps job to job like a tinder girlfriend. If he leaves i wont be shocked. And i wont be sad. So go. Please. Go. If you stay recruit well please then leave.

Thats just my opinion. Roll out a real D more than once in your career please. Maybe i will turn my opinion slowly. Once is not a trend.