Les Miles Met w/ Ted Roof in January

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
"On Jan. 7, Miles and Dingman met with two candidates. In Lawrenceville, Georgia, they met with Roof, Auburn’s defensive coordinator in 2009-11 and Penn State’s DC in 2012."

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I know Roof is a Tech man and absolutely loves Tech, but CPJ has a track record that doesn't include great defenses. He seems to burn through DC's pretty quick. Would make me pause if I were roof

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't necessarily want Roof to go anywhere, but I personally would not interview for other positions if I were planning on staying at my current job.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
What does a DC want more than anything (after a good contract)?

An OC who knows how to put points on the board. This year notwithstanding, I think Ted knows he's got that.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, come on. Of course you take LSU's call if they want to talk. +1 if you can get them to come to your house.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Honestly I know Roof is a Tech man and absolutely loves Tech, but CPJ has a track record that doesn't include great defenses. He seems to burn through DC's pretty quick. Would make me pause if I were roof
Why does Johnson coach defense?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps I just have a different way of looking at the interview. I don't really see Roof as an up and coming coach looking to advance up the coaching ranks. I think his best shot at becoming a head coach is here at Tech. Les has been on the brink of losing his job at LSU for several years. It just doesn't sound like a good idea to even consider the job to me.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone clear up whether Roof is a good Defensive Coordinator or not? Objectively speaking. I don't know enough about defensive play calling and schemes to make any kind of judgement calls. It seems like sometimes his hands are tied due to low DL depth/talent, but I've seen times where we've shut out great teams for halves. Then other times where we are totally ineffective. How much of that falls on CTR?

Don't get me wrong, he is by far our best recruiter due to his charisma and the fact that he attended Tech and bleeds White and Gold. I think he's worth keeping on staff for that fact alone. But does anyone have the knowledge to say where he stands among other college DCs? Apparently Les Miles thinks highly of him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone clear up whether Roof is a good Defensive Coordinator or not? Objectively speaking. I don't know enough about defensive play calling and schemes to make any kind of judgement calls. It seems like sometimes his hands are tied due to low DL depth/talent, but I've seen times where we've shut out great teams for halves. Then other times where we are totally ineffective. How much of that falls on CTR?

Don't get me wrong, he is by far our best recruiter due to his charisma and the fact that he attended Tech and bleeds White and Gold. I think he's worth keeping on staff for that fact alone. But does anyone have the knowledge to say where he stands among other college DCs? Apparently Les Miles thinks highly of him.
Unless Johnson is not allocating his scholarships to need, and not making sure the defense can function, it's on Roof. Somebody would have to break down the classes but my impression always has been that Johnson wants to win badly enough he takes care of all phases. When he hired the current ST coach he agreed he could put any player on his special teams except the QB. But if Roof has poor depth much of it would go back to the previous DC, though '16 is all his. I don't think he was ever more than a fair to middlin' DC anywhere, but I am not a slave to statistics so I don't know.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Unless Johnson is not allocating his scholarships to need, and not making sure the defense can function, it's on Roof. Somebody would have to break down the classes but my impression always has been that Johnson wants to win badly enough he takes care of all phases. When he hired the current ST coach he agreed he could put any player on his special teams except the QB. But if Roof has poor depth much of it would go back to the previous DC, though '16 is all his. I don't think he was ever more than a fair to middlin' DC anywhere, but I am not a slave to statistics so I don't know.
How do you measure a DC? If it's by the production of his defense, you statement "anywhere" is false. Any other measure is purely subjective.

On January 10, 2012, Roof was hired by new head coach Bill O'Brien as defensive coordinator at Penn State. Due to the Jerry Sanduskychild sex abuse scandal, on July 24, 2012 the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) sanctioned Penn State with a four-year postseason ban, loss of 40 scholarships over a four-year period and allowed players to transfer without having to sit out a year. Despite the difficult conditions of the program, Roof led the defense to rank second in the Big Ten Conference in scoring defense, led the league in sacks, ranked first in red-zone defense and third in turnover margin. Nationally, Penn State ranked tied for first in red-zone defense, 15th in sacks,[14] 16th in scoring defense,[15] 23rd in rushing defense, 28th in pass efficiency defense and 29th in total defense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Roof

Btw, you don't have to be "a slave to statistics" to do a 30 second web search.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Defense gives you less flexibility with scheme, you either have the horses or you don't, especially on the DL. Roof gives us the best chance to get the horses we need because of his recruiting prowess.

What concerns me the most is our poor LB play, especially considering Roof played and starred at the position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Roof's got another 2 years at $750/K per year (plus bonuses). I doubt he's getting a raise as he's already one of the higher paid DC's in the ACC...and, strictly speaking contract-wise, his defenses are not performing like it.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Roof's got another 2 years at $750/K per year (plus bonuses). I doubt he's getting a raise as he's already one of the higher paid DC's in the ACC...and, strictly speaking contract-wise, his defenses are not performing like it.
This article is referencing last year, I think what the other person was saying was that around that time, Ted got a good raise and this interview had something to do with it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Right. And his salary before that interview was ~500k, iirc.