Legitimate observation/question

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I'm on board with CGC but I think it's fair to make the comparison you did and I have absolutely no problem at all, and neither should others, with it. Some of the antics off the field do make people think of those off the field antics of Butch Jones. I do feel there's more substance in the coaching, teaching, recruiting, and S&C areas behind the scenes with CGC than we ever saw with Butch Jones. But again I totally see where that comparison is coming from.

Oh yeah I agree. I see the comps to Jones. My thing is Jones has been the most successful coach of their last 4. Maybe the guy is getting a bad rap. Pruit flat sucks but people seem willing to give him pass because of his style. And that’s fine. Just acknowledge that.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think you need a refresher in reading comprehension. Your words: "But you don't seem willing to allow it to do so."

Really? I'm not calling for Collins to be fired. I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying I think he represents the Butch Jones wing of the coaching spectrum and I fall towards the other. I could be wrong. But it's pretty obvious I DO SUPPORT Collins because I'm putting my money into the program. To say otherwise, as you did, is simply not accurate.

I said you don't seem to be willing to give him a fair chance. I stand behind that as a reasonable interpretation of most of your recent commentary. I make no assumptions about anyone's financial support. To me, we are all just fans sharing opinion and I am judging people on their words alone.

Appreciate your financial cobtributions to the program and agree to disagree, otherwise.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I said you don't seem to be willing to give him a fair chance. I stand behind that as a reasonable interpretation of most of your recent commentary. I make no assumptions about anyone's financial support. To me, we are all just fans sharing opinion and I am judging people on their words alone.

Appreciate your financial cobtributions to the program and agree to disagree, otherwise.

Fair enough. But I think I can give him a fair chance and still not like the hype. If he truly thinks it will take 2-3 years, hype without progress gets worrisome.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
yep, VERY strange that Cottrell and others are listed at some odd OFFensive position ( flex?) but NEVER play.So does Petenboob even know HIS offense.
Yes. I wonder if Nathan still feels the same way about the program 4 games in. As I said before, we have excellent speed at RB and it never gets used. We don't do two back sets for some reason and our best two RBs - Mason and Howard - are being fewer carries each week. This, sports fans, is insane. You have to wonder what's going on.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah I agree. I see the comps to Jones. My thing is Jones has been the most successful coach of their last 4. Maybe the guy is getting a bad rap. Pruit flat sucks but people seem willing to give him pass because of his style. And that’s fine. Just acknowledge that.
They didn't like the past AD and I think they are also giving Fulmer the benefit of the doubt on this hire.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I wonder if Nathan still feels the same way about the program 4 games in. As I said before, we have excellent speed at RB and it never gets used. We don't do two back sets for some reason and our best two RBs - Mason and Howard - are being fewer carries each week. This, sports fans, is insane. You have to wonder what's going on.

Mason and Howard have been so underutilized. I get it. The OL is weak, but a good OC finds ways to at least TRY to get their best players involved.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

People are giving him a pass because he's (perhaps rightfully?) saying what they want to hear as an excuse:

Q: "What do you need to be competitive with UGA?"
Pruitt: "A full recruiting cycle."

So he's basically saying, "My current guys suck. Nobody in the SEC recruited them. That's why we're losing."

The fans respond with, "Yeah, that's totally it."

The question is: what happens in 4 years when he's had 4 full recruiting cycles and he's still getting walloped by UGA and Florida and they're not even the Champions of Life? Are people going to pine for the glory years of Butch?

(this is all just random thinking while at work staring at a wall waiting for a meeting to start, btw - I have no vested interest in UT ... although I love singing Rocky Top to annoy my wife ... "I don't understand the point of a half-bear, half-cat woman? What?")

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Get the ball to them in space. Temple looked like they knew what P-node was trying to do on most plays. Our run game was awful and so many short gains put the O in a lot of 3rd and long. Tough on a team without a polished passing QB and a OL still figuring it out.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Legitimate question, how many of you guys definitely know what offense the other team is running? Like do you know what offense Lincoln Riley running? Mike Lochslee? Mack Brown?

Right. Do we have PTSD because we’ve known exactly what we were on offense the last 11 years, for better or for worse?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I hate to put this on our board but its sorta funny. A friend was a former UT player on the team in the 70's. He was at the announcement of Pruit to the alums and former players. Fulmer said he expected 10+ wins from him every year and how much he liked him. Pruit said did Fulmer realize the schedule and how difficult that would be and if he couldn't do that would he still like him. Fulmer said he would still like him but was sure going to miss him.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you sure Whisenhunt didn’t have the job lined up before the fan base freaked out about “Chan 2.0”?

If someone in the AA told me the contract had been all but signed, I’d believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You check a second source to verify. If you don't have a second source, then you stfu. That's a basic fundamental of information gathering.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think having CGC as HC and having an innovative offense are mutually exclusive. And Patenaude hasn’t been dealt the best of hands. But a good OC would be able to do more with what we have than what he’s given us thus far. And the 5 consecutive plays out of shotgun in short yardage downs against Clemson when the game was still reasonable will stick in my head for a looong time.

Collins has consistently recruited well and produced good defenses at his stops along the way. And I could see him maybe sticking with Tech over more lucrative offers down the road. (Maybe, he is a salesman). I think that’s a valuable tool for us.

But we need something creative on offense.
I think Coach P has been limited by trying to win games and finding a QB who can fit his scheme. Up to last week, Graham's PT was very limited because of inexperience and minor injuries. Graham looked to me that he proved he best fits into Pnude's scheme last week, and can be effective given playing time and improved line play. Hope to see a major uptick in offense this week.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well since you know so much why don’t you tell us who the 5star QB that is coming to GT in the not to distant future . I know but I bet you don’t. Talking to some of you on here is like talking to a little kid you think you know everything but you don’t know nothing.
@Boss Ross Is this still in the works? Looks like you are still dropping hints about it so curious if you have additional information.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As of this past weekend he still says GT is where he wants to go but with kids this day and time all you can do is hope he stays the course.

As of right now there are a total of three 5* QBs (per Rivals) in the 2020 and 20201 Classes. They are currently committed to Clemson, Bama, and Oklahoma.

247 is a bit more generous with 5* rankings. They list 2 in the 2020 class, already committed to Clemson and Bama, and 5 in the 2021 class. The ONLY one not committed to a factory school is 5* Caleb Williams out of Gonzaga HS in DC. (Interesting aside, he's a composite 5* on 247 when both 247's internal rankings and Rivals both have him as a 4*)

247 lists the 2022 class as well, which has three 5* QBs in it, but if we have to wait that long, it might not do CGC any good.

So, are you saying we have a 5* coming this year, next year, or further down the road?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
In hindsight, I could have done with less hype. Lower expectations going into a MAJOR rebuild. Tell the Fans that ! Still go out and work your tails off on the recruiting trail. Sell the school , the coaching philosophy. When you've got something ( wins ) to be hyped about, then add that. We got eyes on us with the hype, what are they seeing today ? It looks like a trainwreck, at times.