Legitimate observation/question

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Tennessee "BELIEVES" that they are an elite program. But that was 20 plus years ago that they won a natty.

Is Butch better than Kiffin? No. Whatever your position on Kiffin, he is a genius OC and had experience as a head coach. Butch played band in college and never played college ball.

Is Butch better than Dooley? Dooley was perceived as a good recruiter and polished ... but not a good coach.

Is Butch better than Pruitt? No. Pruitt is taking the Vols through a very painful period to get the system and players UT needs to compete for SEC titles. Butch was unable to do that. Or even wanted to ...

Interesting how you give Pruitt slack for taking the "Vols through a very painful period" as they lose to Georgia State in year two of his tenure yet don't seem to apply the same patience to Collins who has a much bigger change on his hands as far as roster and offensive scheme are concerned and he's only 4 games into year 1.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee "BELIEVES" that they are an elite program. But that was 20 plus years ago that they won a natty.

Is Butch better than Kiffin? No. Whatever your position on Kiffin, he is a genius OC and had experience as a head coach. Butch played band in college and never played college ball.

Is Butch better than Dooley? Dooley was perceived as a good recruiter and polished ... but not a good coach.

Is Butch better than Pruitt? No. Pruitt is taking the Vols through a very painful period to get the system and players UT needs to compete for SEC titles. Butch was unable to do that. Or even wanted to ...

Hmmm. Seems like Pruit is going through a similar experience to what Collins is going through. Having to tear it down to build it back up. He’s in year 2. Should be seeing some fruits by next year I would imagine.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Interesting how you give Pruitt slack for taking the "Vols through a very painful period" as they lose to Georgia State in year two of his tenure yet don't seem to apply the same patience to Collins who has a much bigger change on his hands as far as roster and offensive scheme are concerned and he's only 4 games into year 1.

Exactly. That is the point here.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Boom. By all rights, this should be a thread ender.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Is its slack? No. I don’t think so. It’s style. Pruitt is not a polished speaker. But he is a good coach who spends zero times tweeting, judging dance lessons, and coming up with marketing phrases. Geoff is a polished speaker who does the opposite.

Only time will tell.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I completely agree with you. However, I don’t think people want to acknowledge just how poor our talent was/is in comparison to our competition.

I agree we don’t have players. I’m commenting on coaching style.

If the choice is Pruitt or Collins, I’d rather have Pruitt. For no other reason than he is focused on coaching. Not hype. I think leaders of all stripes get into trouble for overpromising and under delivering.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

If the choice is Pruitt or Collins, I’d rather have Pruitt. For no other reason than he is focused on coaching. Not hype. I think leaders of all stripes get into trouble for overpromising and under delivering.

How do you know what CGC is focused on behind the scenes? Being a good marketer and good coach are not mutually exclusive. Maybe CGC is Dan Mullen and not Butch Jones. Like you say, time will tell. But you don't seem willing to allow it to do so.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How do you know what CGC is focused on behind the scenes? Being a good marketer and good coach are not mutually exclusive. Maybe CGC is Dan Mullen and not Butch Jones. Like you say, time will tell. But you don't seem willing to allow it to do so.

Excuse me, but what do you know? I’m a season ticket holder. I give to the AT Fund annually. I’ve supported the program for 40 years. Don’t I have the right to disagree? I think I do.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Excuse me, but what do you know? I’m a season ticket holder. I give to the AT Fund annually. I’ve supported the program for 40 years. Don’t I have the right to disagree? I think I do.

I didn't say you didn't have a right to think anything you want. Why do some posters here jump to that whenever their view is challenged? I just said I think you're being unreasonable and gave you my reasoning for thinking that. Truth is, you and I both know about as much about what kind of Coach CGC will be, which is nothing. We have our suspicions one way or the other, but nobody knows.

Seems you're the one who doesn't think people should be able to disagree with you.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well since you know so much why don’t you tell us who the 5star QB that is coming to GT in the not to distant future . I know but I bet you don’t. Talking to some of you on here is like talking to a little kid you think you know everything but you don’t know nothing.
If CGC gets a 5* QB put me down for he gets all 7 years of his contract and I’ll gladly eat crow. That would be stunningly amazing.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Yes, CGC has written a large check with his verbato, and it will be interesting to see if he can cash it in.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We are approaching the middle of the season, just had an extra week to prepare - still looked disorganized and under performing. How the hell do you NOT come to these conclusions?

The bye week should have had GT redrawing the playbook, refocusing the players, figuring out a way to win with what we have. This was not it chief.
I agree we underperformed compared to what I expected after a week off, but do you really think we played worse than the Citadel game? I don’t. I’m willing to see what we get with UNC, then Duke, etc. I was glad the dancing ceased, we eliminated the cheap shot penalties, maybe we figured out who the QB is going to be.

I hate the way we lost, zero offense, but we did decent on defense and maybe with a few more games under our belt we’ll see a glimmer of hope there’s an offense around the corner. P’nut and Key have to be better than this or I’m sure coach will do the right thing when the time comes.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say you didn't have a right to think anything you want. Why do some posters here jump to that whenever their view is challenged? I just said I think you're being unreasonable and gave you my reasoning for thinking that. Truth is, you and I both know about as much about what kind of Coach CGC will be, which is nothing. We have our suspicions one way or the other, but nobody knows.

Seems you're the one who doesn't think people should be able to disagree with you.

I think you need a refresher in reading comprehension. Your words: "But you don't seem willing to allow it to do so."

Really? I'm not calling for Collins to be fired. I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying I think he represents the Butch Jones wing of the coaching spectrum and I fall towards the other. I could be wrong. But it's pretty obvious I DO SUPPORT Collins because I'm putting my money into the program. To say otherwise, as you did, is simply not accurate.

Animal02

Banned
I agree we underperformed compared to what I expected after a week off, but do you really think we played worse than the Citadel game? I don’t. I’m willing to see what we get with UNC, then Duke, etc. I was glad the dancing ceased, we eliminated the cheap shot penalties, maybe we figured out who the QB is going to be.

I hate the way we lost, zero offense, but we did decent on defense and maybe with a few more games under our belt we’ll see a glimmer of hope there’s an offense around the corner. P’nut and Key have to be better than this or I’m sure coach will do the right thing when the time comes.
Hari Kari? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I think you need a refresher in reading comprehension. Your words: "But you don't seem willing to allow it to do so."

Really? I'm not calling for Collins to be fired. I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm saying I think he represents the Butch Jones wing of the coaching spectrum and I fall towards the other. I could be wrong. But it's pretty obvious I DO SUPPORT Collins because I'm putting my money into the program. To say otherwise, as you did, is simply not accurate.

I'm on board with CGC but I think it's fair to make the comparison you did and I have absolutely no problem at all, and neither should others, with it. Some of the antics off the field do make people think of those off the field antics of Butch Jones. I do feel there's more substance in the coaching, teaching, recruiting, and S&C areas behind the scenes with CGC than we ever saw with Butch Jones. But again I totally see where that comparison is coming from.