Legitimate observation/question

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
That is true, it is in our play book, but there is a big difference between having the play in the repertoire, and being committed to running the system.
Of course, we could always go with the knee jerk reaction that perhaps our coaches just don't know how to teach it correctly... :)

To be fair, Coach Collins always protects his players and accepts all blame..

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think it is two different groups....there is the group that thinks the personnel were not all that bad and the new regime should have been able to adapt to be competitive......then there are the idol worshipers who insist we must wait 6-8 years for results.

A couple of things here:

1. Calling people kool aid drinkers and idol worshippers isn't helping you at all. There is absolutely no reason to insult people just because you disagree with them. At this point, I think most people just tune you out because of it.
2. No one is calling for Collins to get 6-8 years of losing seasons. If by year 4-5 we are still winning 4-5 games a year he will be gone. (Most likely after year 5 due to buyout) What we are saying is that it might be as long as 6-8 years before we see a complete turnaround under a more "modern" college offense.

I think the "unsuitable players" mantra far overblown. There is no reason in the work we should have lost to Citadel and got steamrolled by VT.

Do you realize that the ONLY QB on our roster who had an offer from another P5 school is Graham, and he only had an offer to play QB at Kentucky. EVERYONE else wanted him as a WR. He came to GT because we were giving him an opportunity to play QB. With a couple of exceptions, our OL is much the same. Most of our guys don't have the same body type that is needed to run the blocking schemes we are now running. We were't deep at WR and while we were loaded at RB, we have a bunch of ABs with no real home. We had no TEs, and had to get a grad transfer just to get one with experience on our roster. I will allow we still should have beaten The Citadel, and it shouldn't have been close, but that's as much on the players as the coaches with the stupid personal fouls that extended several drives.

At some point, you might want to consider that CGC IS the HC at GT, and whether we like it or not, he deserves our support. IMO, conversations about how long a leash we give him are counterproductive in year one. If the future shows a lack of progress, then by the end of year two we can begin this discussion in earnest.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Geoff isn’t laughing. I would bet he pays no attention to it.

The fact is, Geoff may win the battle and lose the war. He may land recruits, create buzz and vibe, and ultimately ... lose the fan base.

When he was hired, I thought ... we’re getting an SEC guy. Great! I feel like we got a MAC guy.

Doesn’t matter what I think. I’m supportive of the program and hope it works out. I still think he’s Butch 2.0 and that’s what I fear the most.

I view the gt situation a lot more like a big construction project verses a improving an already functioning enrerprise.
35 srs last year w 10 return srs this year says roster is a big project.
Admin at gtaa is weak -Look at football roster on Ramblin wrek & try to view the past rosters--2014 shows players same as later years. This stupid stuff will fix it self.

The transformation Collins is after is in the enthusiasm alumni. So many on swarm demand he cater to thier current emotions. The organizations message at this time is 100% on being sure all 4 Star gt recruits believe they will be given an immediate fair shot at getting playing time as soon as they get on campus. Got to start a recruiting pipeline. He is on message.

Next year, imo, we will see younger guys w playing experience take over for exoierenced players( Curry, Cooper, Hansen need to step up).

When we have another good recruiting class , we need to make some hard call at coaching. They better be showing elite potential.

I am on record of free pass first 2 yeaxes w cgc and his staff. At end of 2 years (if not doing great) we need to change staff to one that covers any cgc weaknesses and one that can take us to an elite level.

By then we will have a foundation that top assistants will want to join.

Tstan must make the following step happen.
The organization will need tok incude some senior consultants, more name brand position coaches like key ( our dl coach has 0 name recognition). PNut better show he can scheme with the best or he is fired.

The recruiting of Top Top talent will the focus in years 4 going forward. With an ol and a defense that causes turn overs, Gt will recruit a 5 star QB and all will be happy.

Cgc is hiring players and then holding coaches accountable.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things here:

1. Calling people kool aid drinkers and idol worshippers isn't helping you at all. There is absolutely no reason to insult people just because you disagree with them. At this point, I think most people just tune you out because of it.
2. No one is calling for Collins to get 6-8 years of losing seasons. If by year 4-5 we are still winning 4-5 games a year he will be gone. (Most likely after year 5 due to buyout) What we are saying is that it might be as long as 6-8 years before we see a complete turnaround under a more "modern" college offense.

Do you realize that the ONLY QB on our roster who had an offer from another P5 school is Graham, and he only had an offer to play QB at Kentucky. EVERYONE else wanted him as a WR. He came to GT because we were giving him an opportunity to play QB. With a couple of exceptions, our OL is much the same. Most of our guys don't have the same body type that is needed to run the blocking schemes we are now running. We were't deep at WR and while we were loaded at RB, we have a bunch of ABs with no real home. We had no TEs, and had to get a grad transfer just to get one with experience on our roster. I will allow we still should have beaten The Citadel, and it shouldn't have been close, but that's as much on the players as the coaches with the stupid personal fouls that extended several drives.

At some point, you might want to consider that CGC IS the HC at GT, and whether we like it or not, he deserves our support. IMO, conversations about how long a leash we give him are counterproductive in year one. If the future shows a lack of progress, then by the end of year two we can begin this discussion in earnest.
I think he’s entitled to our support but not our unqualified deference. There have been too many indefensible coaching errors this year, independent of the players he inherited. He owes it to his players to get better at his job.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think he’s entitled to our support but not our unqualified deference. There have been too many indefensible coaching errors this year, independent of the players he inherited. He owes it to his players to get better at his job.

I don't disagree with a thing you are saying. My biggest issue with the poster I was responding to is the incessant name calling. I am as big a CPJ fanboy as there was, but I am determined to support the new HC. When we committed to hiring a HC with as short a HC resume as Collins has, we need to understand that there will be coaching mistakes. If we see the same mistakes repeated next year we need to start worrying.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I had spoken at length to a West Point player / recent grad the summer if '18. It was apparently generally accepted and anticipated that Monken would go after the Tech job when CPJ retired.
He was a great recruiter for Tech while on staff and a heck of a coach... Hated to see him go to Georgia Southern... I think us losing Coach Monken was a bigger lost than we knew....

As far as him being a Tech Head Coach... Not sure if I disagree with transitioning back to traditional style of offense that the AD has is on... The issue has been the poor coaching up to this point...I hope CGC and staff can grow into it... We will see...

Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
He was a great recruiter for Tech while on staff and a heck of a coach... Hated to see him go to Georgia Southern... I think us losing Coach Monken was a bigger lost than we knew....

As far as him being a Tech Head Coach... Not sure if I disagree with transitioning back to traditional style of offense that the AD has is on... The issue has been the poor coaching up to this point...I hope CGC and staff can grow into it... We will see...

I agree 100%. I wish CPJ could have had some more good coaches in the wings. But we struggled some after that. I felt like we could have really had something special with CPJ if we could have really supported him. Instead we had bigfoot trying to undermine him and pull resources. I always wonder what would have happened had we initially had the money so CPJ could have made the coaching hires he wanted

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Changing trajectory by year 3...definitely. GT has nowhere to go but up, right? Expecting records similar to what MN and Baylor have in year 3 is wishful thinking. MN, Baylor and even Army didn't completely revamp schemes, requiring a different type of football player to fill basic needs. MN always has big bodies along the LOS, and Baylor had talent before Rhule arrived although they lost plenty of talent, and Army will always be limited due to academics and the end game. Comparing factories like Clemson or LSU to GT is laughable.

We have nowhere to go but up NOW...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. It would be possible for things to get much worse. The players' revolt in the B*** L**** era were a much worse condition. At least publicly the players are on board with the staff.

You are probably right but if tonight we see a lot of last week.then there has got to be some questioning.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well since you know so much why don’t you tell us who the 5star QB that is coming to GT in the not to distant future . I know but I bet you don’t. Talking to some of you on here is like talking to a little kid you think you know everything but you don’t know nothing.
As of right now there are a total of three 5* QBs (per Rivals) in the 2020 and 20201 Classes. They are currently committed to Clemson, Bama, and Oklahoma.

247 is a bit more generous with 5* rankings. They list 2 in the 2020 class, already committed to Clemson and Bama, and 5 in the 2021 class. The ONLY one not committed to a factory school is 5* Caleb Williams out of Gonzaga HS in DC. (Interesting aside, he's a composite 5* on 247 when both 247's internal rankings and Rivals both have him as a 4*)

247 lists the 2022 class as well, which has three 5* QBs in it, but if we have to wait that long, it might not do CGC any good.

So, are you saying we have a 5* coming this year, next year, or further down the road?
@Boss Ross - please?

QB - Brock Vandagriff (@BrockVandagriff)

GTFLETCH

Banned
A couple of things here:

My only question is about "complete turn around"

What is a complete turn around?? Where tech can win 6 to 7 games each year? Bcuz before CPJ there were no ACC titles, there were no Orange Bowls in the last thirty years....

I think CGC needs to win 6 to 7 games in 2020.... And then we might be able to get to B2B 8 or 9 win seasons in year 4 and 5..

What do you say???

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My only question is about "complete turn around"

What is a complete turn around?? Where tech can win 6 to 7 games each year? Bcuz before CPJ there were no ACC titles, there were no Orange Bowls in the last thirty years....

I think CGC needs to win 6 to 7 games in 2020.... And then we might be able to get to B2B 8 or 9 win seasons in year 4 and 5..

What do you say???
Sounds about right to me

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
My nightmare scenario here is:

We win 3 - 4 next year (not this staff's fault, btw), our recruiting begins to fall off, the fanbase, already disaffected, goes nuts, Collins goes half way through year 3 after 5 straight loses. The Bill Lewis scenario, iow.

I fear this more because I don't know if we can sustain our recruiting momentum. I think a lot of the attention we got from recruits this year was a lot more about curiousity concerning the new staff then a sudden rebirth in interest in attending Tech (did that ever exist?) among Georgia players. So what if next year we end up with 2-3 4 star recruits and our "overall ranking" slips to the mid 30s? Or worse?

Personally, I think Collins - provided he learns more about gamely coaching - deserves at least three years, even if our recruiting falls off a bit somewhere in there. But I'm not sure that the environment today will allow that. And, let's face it, if Collins fails then Tech's football program will be on the ropes.

But … maybe we'll win 5-6 games and do even better recruiting next year then we will end up doing this year! Then all bets will be off.