LeBarrie suspended indefinitely?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I love how the guy who donates and buys season tickets thinks he deserves more information.
If you invested your money in a company or an organization, I would consider you a stakeholder. Now, if this company or organization put one of its top executives on administrative leave, you would probably want some sort of response from the organization, wouldn't you? Especially if you continued to fund and support that organization. Perhaps not the entire story due to legal/PR ramifications, but certainly something more than pure silence (a general timeline, progress made, decision factors, etc.).

Pastner says all the time on his radio show: "Yellow Jacket nation, this is your program". This situation does not reflect that.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If you invested your money in a company or an organization, I would consider you a stakeholder. Now, if this company or organization put one of its top executives on administrative leave, you would probably want some sort of response from the organization, wouldn't you? Especially if you continued to fund and support that organization. Perhaps not the entire story due to legal/PR ramifications, but certainly something more than pure silence (a general timeline, progress made, decision factors, etc.).

Pastner says all the time on his radio show: "Yellow Jacket nation, this is your program". This situation does not reflect that.
I mean I kind of agree with you but this isn't a company. We aren't shareholders. They have no prerogative to share anything with us outside of FOIA requests.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

Except this isn't a company in which you own stock. And even if it were, that wouldn't entitle you to know all the details regarding that company, especially when it comes to personnel decisions. Until its been resolved, I don't expect to hear anything. Worst thing they could do right now is leak details on an employee where there is an issue.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Except this isn't a company in which you own stock. And even if it were, that wouldn't entitle you to know all the details regarding that company, especially when it comes to personnel decisions. Until its been resolved, I don't expect to hear anything. Worst thing they could do right now is leak details on an employee where there is an issue.
I didn't say a shareholder, I said a stakeholder - different things. And I'm not asking for all the details (see previous post), really just asking for them to break the silence on an issue that has been outstanding for over a month now. A timeline would be nice - is it expected to be resolved in a week? A month? A year?

Rumors are starting to fly and they're not good - I don't imagine it'll be too long until those become widely known. Want to know what's worse than you leaking details on an employee where there's an issue? Numerous other sources leaking details on an employee where there's an issue - at that point, you no longer control the story or the narrative. Pretty critical when you're talking about a guy who's responsible for the recruitment of several highly coveted recruits in the 2019 class and beyond.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say a shareholder, I said a stakeholder - different things. And I'm not asking for all the details (see previous post), really just asking for them to break the silence on an issue that has been outstanding for over a month now. A timeline would be nice - is it expected to be resolved in a week? A month? A year?

Rumors are starting to fly and they're not good - I don't imagine it'll be too long until those become widely known. Want to know what's worse than you leaking details on an employee where there's an issue? Numerous other sources leaking details on an employee where there's an issue - at that point, you no longer control the story or the narrative. Pretty critical when you're talking about a guy who's responsible for the recruitment of several highly coveted recruits in the 2019 class and beyond.

I thought the word is that the timing is 100% out of Tech's control and in the NCAA's hands. I thought we self reported and are waiting on a decision. Maybe that comes from Jumpman and not Tech, but I am not sure what else Tech should say. And, similar to a company involved in a litigation, the policy every single lawyer will tell you is not to make any public comments regarding an ongoing investigation/litigation. In my opinion, the most Tech should do would be to release a very general statement lacking any specific details (maybe they already have?). I suspect that would not satisfy you though.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I thought the word is that the timing is 100% out of Tech's control and in the NCAA's hands. I thought we self reported and are waiting on a decision. Maybe that comes from Jumpman and not Tech, but I am not sure what else Tech should say. And, similar to a company involved in a litigation, the policy every single lawyer will tell you is not to make any public comments regarding an ongoing investigation/litigation. In my opinion, the most Tech should do would be to release a very general statement lacking any specific details (maybe they already have?). I suspect that would not satisfy you though.

Those are my thoughts also. If this was something major, I doubt GT would wait for a decision and would have taken employment action already. They did make it public that he is suspended and that they were awaiting decisions from the NCAA. I doubt the NCAA told them when the issue would be resolved, so telling the fans some arbitrary timeline would do no good. I believe that GT knows much more about the alleged infractions than is public, but no-one would release raw investigatory information. I seriously doubt they know hard information about the timeline, or the results and are intentionally keeping the information away from the fans. Maybe people are just accustomed to immediate news and immediate information and can't respond well to waiting when the information isn't immediately available.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Those are my thoughts also. If this was something major, I doubt GT would wait for a decision and would have taken employment action already. They did make it public that he is suspended and that they were awaiting decisions from the NCAA. I doubt the NCAA told them when the issue would be resolved, so telling the fans some arbitrary timeline would do no good. I believe that GT knows much more about the alleged infractions than is public, but no-one would release raw investigatory information. I seriously doubt they know hard information about the timeline, or the results and are intentionally keeping the information away from the fans. Maybe people are just accustomed to immediate news and immediate information and can't respond well to waiting when the information isn't immediately available.
And remember, whatever the infraction is, it is of the nature that the Institute feels they should continue to pay his salary.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And remember, whatever the infraction is, it is of the nature that the Institute feels they should continue to pay his salary.

That is why I said that if it was something major, GT would have already taken action. If someone does something very immoral or very unethical, there is no need to wait for a decision from the NCAA. DLab is still an employee and is still being paid. Just based on that, it can't be anything extremely grave.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
That is why I said that if it was something major, GT would have already taken action. If someone does something very immoral or very unethical, there is no need to wait for a decision from the NCAA. DLab is still an employee and is still being paid. Just based on that, it can't be anything extremely grave.
Let's hope your sources/inferences are better than mine.

I, along with Buzz and Jumpman, will stop posting in this thread. You all are right that there's probably not much the school can say right now, my responses were probably more frustration at the situation - I'll be honest, the 2019 class is top of mind when thinking of the areas most heavily impacted. There are rumors from pretty decent sources that this is not something minor and will have a big impact, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what officially comes out, whenever that may be.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope your sources/inferences are better than mine.

I, along with Buzz and Jumpman, will stop posting in this thread. You all are right that there's probably not much the school can say right now, my responses were probably more frustration at the situation - I'll be honest, the 2019 class is top of mind when thinking of the areas most heavily impacted. There are rumors from pretty decent sources that this is not something minor and will have a big impact, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what officially comes out, whenever that may be.

I don't have any internal sources. I am not saying that I know anything for certain. Just a question that if it were something along the lines of McGee, why would they wait for anything from the NCAA? Even with McGee, he resigned as soon as those allegations became public. And just to be clear, I have not heard any rumors regarding Lebarrie and am not trying to insinuate that he did anything similar to McGee. It was McGee that I was thinking about when I said that if he had done anything immoral that there is no need to wait for the NCAA.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This just in... 3 year postseason ban and scholarship reductions for Georgia Tech due to Asst. Coach Darryl LaBarrie giving his Chick-fil-a smart card to a recruit because he wanted to go on a diet and didn't want to be tempted.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
This just in... 3 year postseason ban and scholarship reductions for Georgia Tech due to Asst. Coach Darryl LaBarrie giving his Chick-fil-a smart card to a recruit because he wanted to go on a diet and didn't want to be tempted.

But did he offer his CFA smart card to other students not being recruited? Now, that's the real question.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Can't help but think how dumb and stupid Tech has handled NCAA investigations in the past, I believe the BB program will get hammered. This is just how unlucky Tech can be , and it always seems we bring it on ourselves.