LeBarrie suspended indefinitely?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Smith's HS film was ridiculous. His athleticism was amazing. Probably the biggest change in how a player had to play the game from HS to college i've seen due to the injury.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I remember when Paul Hewitt talked about Jeremis Smith. He was in the class with ReSean Dickey, Anthony Morrow, and Zam Frederick. Hewitt said that Smith might be the best player that class. Unfortunately, Smith got injured and was never the same.

More examples of how being a GT fan is......difficult

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember when Paul Hewitt talked about Jeremis Smith. He was in the class with ReSean Dickey, Anthony Morrow, and Zam Frederick. Hewitt said that Smith might be the best player that class. Unfortunately, Smith got injured and was never the same.
Is the Smith injury the knee injury that happened under the basket at home early one season? I remember that like it was yesterday with how loud he was screaming.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Sugiura: Uncertainty surrounds status of Georgia Tech assistant Darryl LaBarrie
Two weeks after he was placed on paid administrative leave after an allegation of an NCAA rules violation, Georgia Tech assistant coach Darryl LaBarrie faces an uncertain future.

The NCAA, with Tech’s assistance, is continuing an investigation into the allegation, with no set end point. LaBarrie has been told not to contact anyone with the team, and Tech players, coaches and staff are under the same restrictions with him.
LaBarrie recruited one of Hardin’s players, Nassir Little of Orange Park, Fla. LaBarrie and Pastner were steadfast in their recruitment of Little, who ultimately chose North Carolina.

“LaBarrie and Josh Pastner, I can’t speak highly enough of those two,” Hardin said. “They never ever mentioned anything illegal when it came to ‘Nas’ or anything into, ‘Hey, let’s stretch the rules.’ They told us the rules. As a matter of fact, we learned most of our rules from LaBarrie. They just wanted to make sure it was done by the book.”

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You guys still think this is “minor”. It has been dead silent from GTAA on this and talk on another board that DLab might be facing termination.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
At this point who knows. GT is dead silent so no real basis to conclude anything. Though as in multiple situations I do wish GT would get Cam Newton's Auburn lawyer so we could get these things resolved in one day with the NCAA. Whoever we use for counsel doesn't have the right pictures of Emert.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Certainly disappointing this hasn't been resolved. Did we ever find out which visit it was? I can't recall and other official visits that didn't result in a commitment.

slugboy

Staff member
I would think they're doing all they can to straighten this out. Something doesn't go this long unless you're trying to make things work.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Feels like it may be time for folks to email/call Stansbury to ask him & compliance to get with the NCAA and expedite a resolution, regardless of the outcome.

I certainly hope it's not, but if the NCAA comes back with a major infraction based on their findings & info provided, than I get it. Whatever has to happen has to happen and that could mean termination.

That said, it appears to be an isolated incident, and if it does turn out to be minor, I'd certainly hope Stansbury & GTAA gives him a second chance, especially considering he's one of our own as a former GT player & graduate.

I remember Jumpman posting a while back this is will all blow over. I am still hitching my wagon on that until something more viable comes along. He seems to be in the know.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Posters are escalating the discussion on this, here and in Hagans thread. Would anyone care to actually reveal what DLab (allegedly) did? Unless the allegation is made public all speculation is uninformed.

Ken's article says nothing with regards to the heart of the matter. It does say a lot of nice things about DLab, and I appreciated that aspect. But, in typical journalistic fashion he points out that punishment could be time served suspended up to possibly termination. Well, gee, thanks for saying you don't know anything in the most fear mongering way possible. Then an editor slaps a scary title that again, logically, says absolutely nothing. "Uncertainty surrounds" and "no set end point." Really, you mean an investigation no one will talk to you about leaves you in a state of uncertainty? And since no one will say anything, that means there is "no set end point" to the investigation? Logically, no set end point means it could take one more day, or 82 years, and any point in between. It means "I don't know anything because no one will tell me."

I don't mind the idea of DTM's to start a letter writing campaign (suppose it would be email nowadays) in a show of support for Tech to not consider itself beholden to the craven and corrupt NCAA. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if it the fact of the NCAA's total disrepute and corruption, plus Tech only recently having come off probation (I think?) that could make it desirous of towing the line minutely as being the better part of valor, in this instance. Add in the FBI issue, revelations about UA just after a deal is inked, Ron, and Nassir Little's close consideration of Tech, all into the hopper of reasons for being currently overzealous.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This. When other reporters that cover GT are saying termination is possible it’s dicey. Also I appreciate Jumpman’s info and he has been right numerous times, I don’t like on this how his narrative has changed from no big deal to now we as in GT are mistreating Daryl. Daryl broke the rules, he’s not being mistreated

Where did he say GT was mistreating DLab? I must have missed that. If anything he seemed to clarify that he wasn’t saying that.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Jumpman, any reason you were able to share detailed info on the Bell situation, but not on this? Staff trying to keep this one completely off the books?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Quite honestly this is an employment issue between GT and LeBarrie with involvement of the NCAA. I am quite happy there is no outside discussion of an issue like that and IMHO there Shouldn’t be

Right now we know GT is paying him but the NCAA review is taking a long time. Not sure how to read it but the time worries me. I hope we see the resolution soon

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
You know the more I think about this situation, all I can say is what the law would say, "if you didn't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about"!