Las Vegas Mass Casualty Attack

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The NRA is a pretty diverse group from what I’ve seen. But more whites own firearms than other demographics so there will logically be more white members in the NRA as well. I don’t have any exact stats just my own interactions and first hand knowledge.

The trouble comes in so called “common sense” regulations. AR15s are common sense firearms according the the vast majority of people who favor protecting the 2nd amendment...exact opposite of those who wish to limit 2A.

I really don’t care if gun grabbers think the NRA appears “brutish or unsympathetic” to those who wish to abolish my civil rights.

The Castile shooting was abhorrent. The NRA did not “immediately” condemn the officer involved. The NRA has a track record of not castigating law enforcement in “bad shoots.” True before the Castile incident and true after it. And race doesn’t play a part in that imo. The NRA has also been “silent” when other demographics are involved in similar incidents.

The NRA is in fact a “grass roots” organization. And after the Castile incident it’s own members criticized their own organization on its Facebook page in the immediate days following the incident.

ON July 8 2016 the NRA podcast hist Cam Edwards stared “What we know does not look good. Our right to keep and bear arms is not based on the color of our skin.”

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ner-Philando-Castile-accused-racial-bias.html

Let me reiterate that the NRA does not condemn law enforcement generally. Anti NRA forces utilized the Castile shooting to call on the NRA to condemn the police immediatel. When a statement wasn’t made immediately, anti NRA media attempted to portray this “silence” as evidence of racism in the organization.

For the record Castile was slain (unjustly imo) July 6th. The NRA “statement” in their podcast was made July 7.

So it’s fair to criticize the MRA for being too pro-police. But imo it’s a bit unfair to claim it is racist.

I’ll disagree with you on the racial component. I firmly believe it plays a part.

Personally I wouknt ban an AR 15. I would just make it more of a process to buy and easier to track ownership. Also owners should some mental check up when own an Arsenal of weapons.

I get the bad *** make you feel good aspects of owning a gun. An AR 15 especially, but there is no real practical purpose for it. So let me ask, what’s the fear?

You mention the typical buzz words.
Illegals
Islamic terrorist
Criminals
ect.

All of which is highly unlikely. I mean extremely unlikely any of these being performed by one of these groups in the US.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-immigration-ban-terrorism/514361/

It is more likely to happen within the pro NRA militia man set.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...96612/las-vegas-mass-shooting-terrorism-islam

These uneven ideals definitely shows an ethnic/racial bias. The fear mongering used to loosen gun laws in GA. Out of the millions of people riding MARTA how many have actually been shot ON the train? Yet, Jawja legislators passed a law allowing guns on MARTA as a source of protection. Funny people and thier constituents who barely ride MARTA is ever making a law like that. Why?

Similar fear sprung up in Black communities almost entire based on Trump and his white supremacy supporters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna758211

Anyway gun laws aren’t changing in this country. Too many “on my cold dying hands” types. Most people don’t care about children enough to actually relinquish the ability to have easy access to weapons. So we’ll just have to wait for the next mass shooting.

Milwaukee

Banned
I’ll disagree with you on the racial component. I firmly believe it plays a part.

Personally I wouknt ban an AR 15. I would just make it more of a process to buy and easier to track ownership. Also owners should some mental check up when own an Arsenal of weapons.

I get the bad *** make you feel good aspects of owning a gun. An AR 15 especially, but there is no real practical purpose for it. So let me ask, what’s the fear?

You mention the typical buzz words.
Illegals
Islamic terrorist
Criminals
ect.

All of which is highly unlikely. I mean extremely unlikely any of these being performed by one of these groups in the US.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-immigration-ban-terrorism/514361/

It is more likely to happen within the pro NRA militia man set.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...96612/las-vegas-mass-shooting-terrorism-islam

These uneven ideals definitely shows an ethnic/racial bias. The fear mongering used to loosen gun laws in GA. Out of the millions of people riding MARTA how many have actually been shot ON the train? Yet, Jawja legislators passed a law allowing guns on MARTA as a source of protection. Funny people and thier constituents who barely ride MARTA is ever making a law like that. Why?

Similar fear sprung up in Black communities almost entire based on Trump and his white supremacy supporters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna758211

Anyway gun laws aren’t changing in this country. Too many “on my cold dying hands” types. Most people don’t care about children enough to actually relinquish the ability to have easy access to weapons. So we’ll just have to wait for the next mass shooting.

That 3rd link is absolute rubbish. Just blatant stupidity and ignorance. Here's a taste:

“There's some fiery rhetoric that some would say is incendiary racist rhetoric from the White House,” Green said

I'm not really following this convo. I just noticed that link and read the article so wanted to comment on the article alone.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That 3rd link is absolute rubbish. Just blatant stupidity and ignorance. Here's a taste:

“There's some fiery rhetoric that some would say is incendiary racist rhetoric from the White House,” Green said

I'm not really following this convo. I just noticed that link and read the article so wanted to comment on the article alone.

Well I agree and many of the people that look like me do as well. The climate in this country has shifted from the top and is feeding the flames of white supremacy. So yeah, strap up.

Personally I highly doubt there’s anything truly to worry about from that but just as an illogical fear based precaution.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well I agree and many of the people that look like me do as well. The climate in this country has shifted from the top and is feeding the flames of white supremacy. So yeah, strap up.

Personally I highly doubt there’s anything truly to worry about from that but just as an illogical fear based precaution.

Im a white guy. I’m more likely to face a violent white criminal than a violent minority criminal. That’s subject to change on the geographic area I’m in atbany given time but true generally. But the possibility of facing violence from any demographic is present. Race is a non factor when it comes to self defense. I don’t give a hoot what race anyone is that tries to inflict harm on my family. I’m gonna deal with that threat the same regardless.

There was a guy in Charlotte that could have benefited from a gun yesterday. Was shot and murdered while live streaming. Some dude ran up on him and unloaded at point blank range. Older victim, younger perp. All advantages went to the perp in that one. Victim saw him coming but literally had no defense. A gun on his person, used in self defense, could very well have saved his life.

Is that incident less tragic than Philando Castile? Yeah a little maybe. Because a bad guy committed the homicide yesterday in Charlotte and a “good guy” that couldn’t control his fear committed the homicide of Castile. (Doesn’t matter to me that Castile had marijuana in his car during the stop, yeah that made the presence of his gun in the car illegal but there was still no lethal threat posed by him to the officer. Just bad tactics, bad verbal commands, and inability to control his fear -only God knows if “implicit bias” was a factor).

But I’m not certain the family of the victim in Charlotte would necessarily agree. That poor old guy was just walking down the street when evil ran up and literally took his life.

But to say the NRA is racist is garbage. It’s made up of a individuals of every demographic in America. Claiming it’s racist is no different than saying the GOP is racist. If you believe otherwise we probably won’t find much common ground.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Racism is more pervasive on the left than anywhere, imho.

Lol. O.K.
F8D87E5F-8AD6-4992-8CF7-9013A9C77AC2.jpeg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

.....you are gonna have to help me here. Is there something inherently racist in a room full of white folks? If I implied the same about a room full of minorities of the same race Would that indicate the same?

Or were you just st implying Paul Ryan is a racist? I can’t stand the dude myself but I haven’t seen any indication he’s a racist.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Remind me again, how diverse is the Congressional Black Caucus? If I post a picture of Obama there with Louis Farrakhan is Obama racist?
Come to find out a picture of that does exist.
Doesn't mean he's a racist, just like the Ryan picture doesn't mean Paul is a racist.

images

Interview with the photographer:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think the nra is racist or terrorist, what they are is an incredibly powerful lobbying force that has the gop hostage on gun issues, most gop congressman, state or federal are scared to death of crossing them because they know they will get primaried out over that in the next election. I understand what the nra started out as and the purpose they served but who do they rep more now, gun owners or the gun/ammo industry? They are the single force preventing this country from any kind of meaningful gun legislation, they are against every change that could hurt any gun sales.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They are the single force preventing this country from any kind of meaningful gun legislation, they are against every change that could hurt any gun sales.

Yeah, well, there's also this little thing called The Constitution. You might want to read it. You might learn something.

And, jus to remind you, there are plenty of Dems who voted against gun control just a few years ago because....you know, the VOTERS in the ir districts would have voted them out of office had they done so. So, I fear you are generally incorrect. There are PLENTY of factors preventing the measures *you* prefer.

On a more general note, my own observation is this issue is another one where there is generally a divide between rural and urban views. My friends in NYC feel they can call 911 and a cop will be there in 5 minutes. My friends in rural Louisiana know if they call 911 it could be as much as 30 minutes before a cop arrives. Makes a difference in one's attitude about having a firearm for personal defense.

Oh, and many folks oppose giving the government the right to restrict things like firearms because government types always seem to take a simple idea and take it far beyond its original intent. (See Sanctuary for illegal immigrants which has evolved into open opposition to federal law enforcement). So, yeah...I don't trust you guys.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, well, there's also this little thing called The Constitution. You might want to read it. You might learn something.

And, jus to remind you, there are plenty of Dems who voted against gun control just a few years ago because....you know, the VOTERS in the ir districts would have voted them out of office had they done so. So, I fear you are generally incorrect. There are PLENTY of factors preventing the measures *you* prefer.

On a more general note, my own observation is this issue is another one where there is generally a divide between rural and urban views. My friends in NYC feel they can call 911 and a cop will be there in 5 minutes. My friends in rural Louisiana know if they call 911 it could be as much as 30 minutes before a cop arrives. Makes a difference in one's attitude about having a firearm for personal defense.

Oh, and many folks oppose giving the government the right to restrict things like firearms because government types always seem to take a simple idea and take it far beyond its original intent. (See Sanctuary for illegal immigrants which has evolved into open opposition to federal law enforcement). So, yeah...I don't trust you guys.

I don’t much think that a handful of dems from red states voting to save their skins are what killed any of those bills, why don’t you take a look at who the nra donates too and see how they voted? Polls say that America wants change, I guess we will see if thats real or not in the midterms.

I totally hear you on your other points, i live in a rural area and i don’t want to lose my guns, i just want better rules, that are followed and enforced. I want us to look at changes in places like AU that worked and try to apply things that might help here. I like my guns but i love my family more, i’m willing to make changes and i don’t care about the gun industry’s profit margins.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I don’t think the nra is racist or terrorist, what they are is an incredibly powerful lobbying force that has the gop hostage on gun issues, most gop congressman, state or federal are scared to death of crossing them because they know they will get primaried out over that in the next election. I understand what the nra started out as and the purpose they served but who do they rep more now, gun owners or the gun/ammo industry? They are the single force preventing this country from any kind of meaningful gun legislation, they are against every change that could hurt any gun sales.
I think the USA has plenty of useful gun related legislation/laws already.

They just need to be enforced. Including reporting information.

Fully implement what we have and a lot of gun violence will be stopped.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think the USA has plenty of useful gun related legislation/laws already.

They just need to be enforced. Including reporting information.

Fully implement what we have and a lot of gun violence will be stopped.

I partially agree on enforcement, but i believe improvements could be made as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Let me repeat. The NRA is a grass roots organization. The vast amount of revenue they take in are from millions of Americans paying annual memberships. The reason the NRA is so powerful is because they constitute a huge number of individual citizens intent on protecting their civil rights.