Las Vegas Mass Casualty Attack

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think the USA has plenty of useful gun related legislation/laws already.

They just need to be enforced. Including reporting information.

Fully implement what we have and a lot of gun violence will be stopped.

Shouldn't everyone purchasing a gun be required to pass a background check? Right now private transactions are not subject to that in some places.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just my perception i guess- The increased number of members, the big money involved, the nra PAC, the enormous lobbying influence. To me it seems more like a corperation now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Shouldn't everyone purchasing a gun be required to pass a background check? Right now private transactions are not subject to that in some places.

I’ve sold and given guns to family members / in-laws. I don’t need the government’s permission to do so.

I’d never sell to a stranger. If I was inclined I wouldn’t wish to without proof the buyer had paaaes a background check.

In this day and age, with current technology, there is no good reason background checks can’t / shouldn’t be, if not instant then at least reasonably delayed. More than 3 days is too long imo.

If gun grabbers hadn’t weaponized waiting periods already I’d be more amenable to compromise further.

Weapon permit holders have passed background checks and should never face a “waiting period” to purchase.

And no to gun registration.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Just my perception i guess- The increased number of members, the big money involved, the nra PAC, the enormous lobbying influence. To me it seems more like a corperation now.

You should attempt to color your perceptions with actual facts. Especially when presenting those perceptions as facts.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
How does one define a grassroots organization in a factual manner sir? How is a outfit as big and powerful as the nra “grassroots”? Do grassroots orgs have a ceo making 5 mil a year? Why are we arguing about something this stupid?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
How does one define a grassroots organization in a factual manner sir? How is a outfit as big and powerful as the nra “grassroots”? Do grassroots orgs have a ceo making 5 mil a year? Why are we arguing about something this stupid?

Because you stupidly implied the NRA “reps” the gun ammo industry rather then their members. Because you stupidly claimed the organization has changed from what it “started as.”

When I asked you to stipulate how it had changed you replied it was just “your own perception.”

Now you blame me for the direction the conversation has taken. Sigh.

Let’s start over. You also earlier implied that “people call AR15s assault weapons thus they are.” If so, if a lot of people call a corvette an SUV, does that make a corvette an SUV in fact? Or does it just prove a lot of people are stupid?

What exactly makes an AR15 an “assault weapon” in you mind? Please explain your contention that it is.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
"Take the guns first, go through due process second."
Trump is coming for your guns! Lol
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/28/trump-guns-nra-gop-pat-toomey-430782

I listened to the first 5 minutes or so of that garbage before I couldn’t take any more. This is evidence of what I suspected from Trump from the get go and why I voted against him in the primary.

This is a deal breaker for many of his staunchest supporters as well as those of us who dislike but tolerate him for certain policy gains. The Panderer in Chief better start walking this back if he values his political future.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If I sell to a friend or family member I think I am okay. Only time I have sold to anyone else, I requested they show a current carry permit (meaning that they had passed a background check) and that we'd meet at the closest Police Precinct. Asked officer to bounce driver's license for warrants.
That was reasonable enough for me.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
"Take the guns first, go through due process second."
Trump is coming for your guns! Lol
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/28/trump-guns-nra-gop-pat-toomey-430782
The POTUS has a point regarding time to process, but is a buffoon if he thinks that'll pass a court test. (Okay the buffoonery exists regardless what he thinks about it passing a court test [emoji39] )
Commit a crime, then sure, take the gun as evidence if it was used in the crime. Get convicted and run out of appeals, then be forced to sell, etc.
But to take w/o due process... Get real.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
From a Facebook post of a pal.

A long read (for FB) from Dave Grossman, but the man has a point.

“How many kids have been killed by school fire in all of North America in the past 50 years? Kids killed... school fire... North America... 50 years... How many? Zero. That’s right. Not one single kid has been killed by school fire anywhere in North America in the past half a century.
Now, how many kids have been killed by school violence?”
Standing on the stage of a high school auditorium, Grossman walked to the side nearest a wall as he addressed the crowd.
"Look up at the ceiling! See all those sprinklers up there? They’re hard to spot — they’re painted black — but they’re there. While you’re looking, look at the material the ceiling is made of. You know that that stuff was selected because it’s fire-retardant. Now look over there above the door — you see that fire exit sign? That’s not just any fire exit sign — that’s a ‘battery-backup-when-the-world-ends-it-will-still-be-lit’ fire exit sign.
He walked to the other side, nearby a fire exit and exterior wall, Grossman slammed the palm of his hand against the wall and exclaimed, “Look at these wall boards! They were chosen because they’re what, fireproof or fire retardant? There is not one stinking thing in this room that will burn!”
Pointing around the room as he spoke, Grossman continued, “But you’ve still got those fire sprinklers, those fire exit signs, fire hydrants outside, and fire trucks nearby! Are these fire guys crazy? Are these fire guys paranoid? No! This fire guy is our A+ student! Because this fire guy has redundant, overlapping layers of protection, not a single kid has been killed by school fire in the last 50 years!"
“But you try to prepare for violence — the thing much more likely to kill our kids in schools, the thing hundreds of times more likely to kill our kids in schools, and people think you’re paranoid. They think you’re crazy. They’re in denial.”
I want you to stop for a moment and think about how much ****ing money is spent on ways to put fires out and stop them from spreading. How much time is spent on training what to do if a fire burns and spreads? Now how much money and time is spent on stopping violence?
Very little because it makes YOU UNCOMFORTABLE.
The idea of trained staff and security with firearms in your children's schools shocks you. Well... reality check. The image of your child in a casket due to a murderer in school with a gun will be infinitely more shocking I guarantee you.
Passing laws restricting firearms would have the same effect as passing laws against fire. If changes in firearm laws are your answer as to how we can save children's lives, you are naive, uninformed about human conflict, and frankly have nothing better to ****ing offer. You are grasping at straws in the darkness of ignorance. I do not hold it against you. Anyone asked to solve a problem they are not equipped to solve will make an effort to do so if they believe it to be necessary.
ACCEPT that evil walks the earth and you or your children may one day see it.
LEARN about how the human reacts in moments of danger and peril.
DEVELOP SKILLS to stay alive whatever they may be.
SHARE the mindset, knowledge and skills with your children and loved ones.
WATER puts out FIRE.
GUNS stop GUNS.
You all keep pissing in the wind and wringing your hands.
- Lt Col David Grossman

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
****'s Sporting Goods as well.

Walmart barely sells any guns at all. Dicks banned selling ARs years ago anyway 2012 or 2014 (Walmart may have jumped onboard this at same time, I can’t recall). I think all Dicks has done currently is re-affirm they won’t sell ARs and will now also not sell parts or components, like magazines, as well. So this is really just st a rehash of old news.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Because you stupidly implied the NRA “reps” the gun ammo industry rather then their members. Because you stupidly claimed the organization has changed from what it “started as.”

When I asked you to stipulate how it had changed you replied it was just “your own perception.”

Now you blame me for the direction the conversation has taken. Sigh.

Let’s start over. You also earlier implied that “people call AR15s assault weapons thus they are.” If so, if a lot of people call a corvette an SUV, does that make a corvette an SUV in fact? Or does it just prove a lot of people are stupid?

What exactly makes an AR15 an “assault weapon” in you mind? Please explain your contention that it is.

So were going to insults now? Come on your better than that, and I didnt blame you snowflake i was just trying to lighten the mood. Go outside and yell at the sky awhile old man.

You don’t think the nra reps the gun industry? Really? And btw, I never said or implied that they only rep the gun industry, Your putting words in my mouth. And I never said a word about ar-15’s in this thread.

You need to be mad at your president not me after his performance yesterday

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/28/17064120/trump-gun-control-meeting-congress-explained